Mark Levinson Radio Keeps On Switching On And Off By Itself !

The Mark Levinson Stereo in my RX450H is erratically switching on and off by itself. I will turn it on and it will switch off and then switch back on a few minutes later and carry on like that - on and off. Even when it is OFF, it will switch itself ON and then off and carry on. Sometimes it settles down and stops doing it for a few days. Independent of FM or AM or DAB and nothing to do with TA.

Has anybody had this issue and do you know the cause and the remedy ?

Hi dgw and welcome to the club!

At first blush it sounds like a classic short somewhere. It could be in a wiring harness, or a connector where harness's are pluged together. Additionaly, it could be a bad solder point on a circuit board in the head unit itself or amplifier. I see your RX is a 2010 so it should be in warranty. Unless you are really good with elecctronics and know your way around microchips and wiring, I would urge you to take advantage of your warranty and have you Lexus dealer do the repair.

Odd thing about Mark Levinson is that they do not make available a repair manual or circuit diagrams to anyone, including Lexus or their dealers. Levinson makes this system only for Lexus, but they retain the rights to keep it's design proprietary and therefore the only way Lexus is taught to repair is the "plug and play". Unplug the old module and stick in a new one.

Please write back and let us know how things work out. Hope this was helpfull.

Paul

• 3 years later...
On 17 November 2012 at 8:36 AM, dgw said:

The Mark Levinson Stereo in my RX450H is erratically switching on and off by itself. I will turn it on and it will switch off and then switch back on a few minutes later and carry on like that - on and off. Even when it is OFF, it will switch itself ON and then off and carry on. Sometimes it settles down and stops doing it for a few days. Independent of FM or AM or DAB and nothing to do with TA.

Has anybody had this issue and do you know the cause and the remedy ?

Hi there did you solve this because the exact same thing is happening to mine.

Lexus found the dash console was faulty and changed it under warranty.  Hope you find a cure without having to pay for new console cos it sure won't be inexpensive.  Good luck.

• 6 years later...

2019 Rx 350 - Our radio switch on and off while driving, took it to the dealer, after showing the dealer a short video of the problem they say they need to replace it.

I'm waiting for the dealer to get back to me to let me know if this will get approved and when to bring the carin.

They also said it will be repalced with a newer radio, did anyone had replaced?