2004 Rx330 Power Stearing Fluid Check

rfcbuf

2004 Rx 330 57,000 miles: Suprised that I never checked power stearing fluid level before but a driveway red oil drip between fron tires made me curious. To my dismay, the fluid resevoir is under a large plastic cover in the engine area. Removing the cover meant destroying 5 or 6 plastic fasteners before the hood can be removed to check the fluid level. What a rediculous set up that really discourages checking this important fluid. Had to seach around for new plastic fasteners.

Power stearning Fluid level was ok at lower level but I plan to have dealer check where the small leak came from.

Guess the leak can be from multiple sources, hope it is nothing serious.

Any comment would be helpful.

• 10 years later...

i have a 2005 lexus rx330.im getting power stearing shudder when eng is at idle in drive.i tried flushing the fluid with lucas toyota ps fluid.still does it.shouldnt the fluid be moving in the resivua while the eng is ideling..its nott doing anything.there is no pump noise or leaks anywhere in the rack or system..thanks paul [dentremontp@yahoo.com}

Have you tried using a code reader to see if there are any current codes? You can also bring your vehicle to an auto parts store to see if they can check. 

hi dave thanks for youre reply.theres no codes present or stored in the system.theres no ps pressure switch i could find in the system,just for the ac system.the ps belt is ok and tight.it just shudders in drive running with the foot brake on.

So releasing the brake eliminates the shudder? If the brake booster is leaking, that loss of vacuum could cause issues.