P1349 Code (Vvt Malfunction) 98 Ls400

Jarebear

My car has pulled a p1349 code, which brings up vvt malfunction (bank 1). Are there any common causes for this code? I took it to lexus and they changed out some vac lines thinking that was what caused it, but it came back on. Granted, my vac lines were leaking as there was a hissing noise (like air leaking out of a hose) coming from my engine, and now the noise is gone. Also, when the car is coasting down the road, sometimes it will idle funny, like the engine is about to die. Anyone know what this might be??

Yes, been there and done that. Remove the two oil control valves on the front of each head and clean them and the chambers they go in, and your troubles will Probably all be over, on "some" hard cases they have to be replaced. the following photo/files should help./

ocv.pdf

post-5365-0-73676700-1352518133_thumb.jp

post-5365-0-45587700-1352518159_thumb.jp

post-5365-0-67158600-1352518181_thumb.jp

post-5365-0-19543500-1352518343_thumb.jp

• 2 weeks later...

Hey Jarebear, have any success with just cleaning them? I recently got the P1349 and don't want to have to replace the parts if I don't have to, but I mean I will if I have to. Billy, do you recommend a specific cleaner? can I use brake cleaner or is that going to damage them?

I used a spray carburetor cleaner in abundance, until they were clean and washed the chambers out with it too. I have some mechanical fingers with a flexible shaft I used to pinch small pieces of cloth to clean them. I douched them with cleaner and rubbed them until clean, then changed the oil to be on the safe side. That was two years ago, no trouble since. had about 140k then, now about 170k.

AT first, I bought new ones (see photos) and saw how they worked and then cleaned mine until they worked as good as the new ones did, then returned the new ones.

post-5365-0-10968000-1353247831_thumb.jp

Awesome! I've been hesitant to just getting out and cleaning them, I didn't want to waste my time and have to end up buying new ones afterwards.. so that's why I asked. That makes me feel a lot better, time to tackle this and clear my codes! I'm hoping they just need a good cleaning, but you never know.. she just turned over to 191,000 the other day. I'll come back and let you know how it goes. Thanks for the quick response Billy!

Awesome! I've been hesitant to just getting out and cleaning them, I didn't want to waste my time and have to end up buying new ones afterwards.. so that's why I asked. That makes me feel a lot better, time to tackle this and clear my codes! I'm hoping they just need a good cleaning, but you never know.. she just turned over to 191,000 the other day. I'll come back and let you know how it goes. Thanks for the quick response Billy!

sure, just keep us posted

Ok, so I took my car to a napa mechanic after doing a lot of research, and told him about my infamous ocv. He cleaned out the filter and a couple other things, plus I think he cleaned my throttle body. As far I can tell so far, the problem is solved. Car is humming down the road again just fine. He did recommend me a fuel system service and told me I'd need new spark plugs if he did it because all the carbon build up being cleaned would crud up my spark plugs. Sucks cause I JUST replaced them.

So I took the time yesterday to pull out the LH/driver's side OCV and clean the part and port thoroughly with carb cleaner. I also found a vacuum leak coming from my intake box (the nipple had broken off) and fixed that as well. Code came back after about 20 minutes, so I went and got my codes read again, and I have successfully eliminated the misfires I was seeing (random & cylinders 1,3,5,7 - due to vacuum leak) so now the only code i STILL have is the infamous P1349. I am about to replace both OCV's to be safe, but I couldn't get the intake box off the top of the manifold without feeling like I was about to break something (I even started a thread to help me with the intake removal, dumb I know but better safe than sorry). Also, I always hear about the filters for the OCV and people replacing those along with the OCV itself. Is the filter easily accessible? I have yet to see exactly where it is located, and I figured I would replace it at the same time because it is very affordable. I just don't think I will bother until I do timing belt if it's deep in there.

and hey, I'm glad to see somebody else got their problem sorted out. I'm almost there and keeping my fingers crossed. all help appreciated - I don't know what I'd do without lexus forums

Hey ExecLex, the filter is a screen that can just be cleaned and put back in. From all the research I've done through the forums, it seems it's not necessary to replace. Replacing those ocvs should take care of the problem if you've already cleaned the filters and are stilling getting the 1349 code. I'm not sure where the filters are at though. Let us know what happens.

I've cleaned the OCV itself, and my question was regarding the location of the filters, because I have no clue where they would be in regards to the OCV. did it take very long for your mechanic to clean the filters? were you charged a lot? I didn't want to start taking off timing covers and such unless I was doing the timing belt myself, and I might just go find somebody to clean the filters like you did if the job is reasonable.

It didn't take him long at all, maybe 15 min. He also cleaned my throttle body too. He charged me like 56 dollars. This tells me it's not hard to get to. We just gotta find a diagram somewhere on the internet that shows you where it is. I'll see if I can find one tomorrow morning. Happy Thanksgiving :)

It didn't take him long at all, maybe 15 min. He also cleaned my throttle body too. He charged me like 56 dollars. This tells me it's not hard to get to. We just gotta find a diagram somewhere on the internet that shows you where it is. I'll see if I can find one tomorrow morning. Happy Thanksgiving :)

here is one.

post-5365-0-65759700-1353604862_thumb.jp

Well hey, thanks to both of you. I'm gonna go take another look today or tomorrow. So even though that diagram is for the 2JZ-GE, I'm going to assume it's in the same general vicinity? and hopefully it is as easy for me as it was for the mechanic.

Ok so I found a free PDF online that contains most of the FSM for 2000 LS400, and under engine mechanical I found this. It shows the location, but I'm not certain if I have to remove the valve cover to get to it or not. I sure hope not. I am looking on page 5 of 6 or "EM-32"

em-28.pdf

here is the link to the torrent for full pdf download (I use bitcomet to download torrents)

http://daemon4x4.org/portal/downloads.php?dcid=17&p=3

• 6 years later...
On 7/22/2019 at 9:31 PM, Clayton dailey said:

Does a 99 ls 400 have two ocv’s per head took one out cleaned it engine light came back on does that mean it’s bad and need new one

The 98-00 have an OCV on each head. Sometimes you can clean them and the codes go away but you will eventually have to change the problem one out.