2005 Gx470 Experience - Good & Bad

dkeadle

Bought my 2005 GX new in July, 2005 - my first Lexus and first luxury vehicle. I really like this vehicle and service at the dealership could not be better - maybe less expensive, but not better. However, I've had too many problems with this luxury vehicle, even though they have been covered by warranty: battery replaced at 46K miles/45 months; moonroof housing and cables replaced at 48K miles/46 months; driveshaft replaced at 48K miles/46 months; and transfer case o-ring leak repaired at 72.7K miles/73 months. The GX was barely out of warranty for this last very expensive repair (~$2600), but was covered 100% after I requested a review by the Service Manager. With my previous less expensive GM and Ford vehicles I experienced problems, but not such costly ones as with the GX. Now that I am well beyond warranty coverage I'm wondering if I should be looking at a new Audi or Acura.

• 2 weeks later...

I bought my 2008 GX after having owned a '99 Pathfinder and being really disappointed with the new Pathfinder design (the 2013 version looks interesting however). My experiences have been mostly positive -- no repairs necessary in nearly 5 years and 45K miles. I think, however, the navigation system/audio system/climate control system concept is a disaster, with some of the controls appearing on the touch screen and others as buttons beneath the screen. I bought the GX instead of competitive luxury SUV's as the GX is based on the 4-Runner platform, which has a long history, and should be relatively free of problems. Obviously, this doesn't apply to systems incremental to the GX. A four year life for a factory grade battery isn't unusual I think - especially if you live in a climate extreme (Minnesota or Arizona), as temperature takes a toll on batteries. The Mopar battery that came in my '95 Wrangler lasted 3 years. I replaced it with an Optima redtop, and I finally had to replace it last month after 14 years. I don't use my GX's moon-roof much at all, so if/when it fails it will likely be lack of use. The driveshaft and transfer case problems are interesting - maybe related to the infamous "clunk" issue(?). Mostly, I like the suspensioon and ride on my GX, even after I installed tires with more agressive treads than the factory tires (which were worthless in snow). The Bridgestones I installed have 38K on them and still have 1/2 the tread left, which I attribute to the refined suspension and alignment. But with 5 years on the GX, I'm thinking of trading it next spring for either another GX or LX. I keep looking at the competition, but can't get enthused about any of them.

I haven't had too many problems at all! Only issue was the typical transfer case leak, which was done at a pretty good bargain from someone we know at a Toyota dealership. Other than that, everything else has been fine (besides the mpg, LOL)