1994 Ls400 Dome Light-intermittently Working

austinls

The domelight in my 1994 LS400 works for a few days, then quits. If I remove the lamp, then replace it (the same lamp), it works again for a few days. I have thoroughly cleaned the contacts and replaced the lamp several times.

I am wondering if it has something to do with the timer that shuts off the lamp a few moments after the door is shut.

I have checked all doors, and it is not the door switches. As a matter of fact, the dome light will not work if I use the switch on the light and move it to "interior"" position, which should turn the light on regardless of whether a door is open or not.

austinls ..........

I don't know how it is set up in the LS but ........... I had a faulty ground in my wife's 2001 ES and found that it was intermitent like you describe. The "ground wire" for the dome light was loose and the screw which attached the ground wire to the body needed to be tighted ....... you might want to check for a secure ground point?

I might also suggest that you change the bulb. Sometimes the filament is broken but still touching and as it heats up it moves and breaks contact. I had a taillight bulb that did this and it drove me crazy. Finally, I changed it and everything was fine. Strange, but it still looked good.

• 3 weeks later...

Well, I decided to replace the lamp, even though it was not too old and looked fine. This, apparently, was my problem as it has now worked for the past 5 days.

Thanks for the responses.