May Be Looking For A New One...

LEXIRX330

Starting to look for a replacement for the X5? Now I will not be getting rid of my GX460 we are going to keep that in the family :D and hand that over to my wife...I love the GX460 but I just don't think I want two of the same vehicle?

So I have been looking at the LX but they are a few dollars more and the MPG's are well they are what they are not good. The LS which is my dream car but if I did go ahead and get one I would more than likely need to lease it and do a prepayment lease to get the tax write off I am looking for? I need to talk about this a little more with my accountant.

So anyway...looking for some feedback from my friends here. Pros-Cons? Anyone know of any great deals or incentives December to Remember is always a great time to start buying a Lexus! Or any other SUV’s or cars that you would consider. SUV’s need to be on the large side to get the quick write off I am looking for this year…

The other thing is I don't know why but I am just not that excited about looking for a car right now. But I do not want to just pay more money in taxes either...so I might as well buy a car.

As Julius Ceaser once said, there's never a bad time to buy a new Chariot !

Man I hear ya. Over the years, one of the most perplexing things I've always toyed with was trying to find a way to come out ahead when owning/leasing an automoble. In my experiences, it's easier to get to sleep while your only daughter is out on her first date with some kid nammed "Zipper".

It sounds like you've been the SUV route, and comparing the LX to your GX, it sounds like your truly an SUV person at heart. BUT, who wouldn't want to slide in behind the wheel of that beautiful LS. The LS certainly has the gross MSRP to help accelerate your first year write down using your agency. Leasing has changed since I had my business and leased my cars, and I don't feel competent to speak to that.

But as you and everyone steeped in the car world know, by 2015, trying to unload a LX or get favorable IRS blessings for SUV's like them, will be nearly impossible. The need to continualy improve fuel efficency, will continually reduce the value or equity in any Low mpg vehicle. In fact in that category, I wonder if the word equity is even descriptive.

On the other hand, if your looking to show a rapid loss or a maximum current year exspense, I would look on the LS as a gift from above, and get the car you've always wanted. But, you may have to cash flow it out a little longer. Yet, you'll pick-up the mpg you need and far less depreciation than you will have on the SUV's.

Heck, it's only money......lol

Good luck friend,

Paul

I think his SUV buying has been primarily driven by the tax advantages.

I don't believe a single payment lease can be taken all in one year if its a cost over time. I thought about that too one time and I recall being told even if you made the payments all upfront you still had to spread the deduction out over the term of the lease. Check with our accountant on that.

I like the LX, but they are so expensive and big, but not in a really usable way. What about the new Mercedes GL?

Love the look of the Range Rover but I don't hear great things about the reliability. SW as far as the GL they are OK...but my neighbor has one and I just don't get that feeling when I see one. I will let you all know how it goes. I am just not in the mood for car shopping right now. I am going to have to find out the details about the LS...I don't like leasing much anyway. I would rather buy it but the tax treatment wouldn't be the same.

The Land Rover starts in the upper $50's to $60's. The Range Rover is for those who carry a small boy in the back to wash it after you drive through each pot hole off road!

My Lexus dealer sells the Rover line and the technicians say it continues to improve it's reliability, but not yet at the point where it ought to be for the money.

No way, the Range Rover is a $85k-115k vehicle...

Have you seen the NEW GL? It just came out...

Not the range rover sport 64,000 loaded up SW...been messing around on their site. I am going to go look at the ML next week just to see it.

Paul I have heard some horror stories about the Range Rovers so I am a little gun shy. I have a meeting around Annapolis next week so I am going to take a look. Kind of considering a LS...but I am going to talk to my tax guy first.

I am not crazy about the new X5's drove a few but just not crazy about them. I really love my GX and I think that is why I just don't care too much right now.

We shall see just don't want to give our elected officials anymore of my money than I have too! :lol:

Oh the Sport sure,mbut not the Range Rover that UCF posted above.

I love the Sports. However, I do have a colleague that has one that she hates so much (lots of problems), that she actually leaves it unlocked hoping someone will steal it lol

Oh I got you. I don't know what I am going to do. Not in a rush...and now I am getting ready to drop some more money in a hole in my yard...but this one isn't something I want to spend money on. :(

Admitedley, I have a poor memory, but earlier in the year, were you thinking thinking of putting in a pool back there? Man Dave, somebody's got it in for you. You can count on Steve and I to come over with the Honey Wagon and help you out.

Well I did put a pool in the back yard. The drain field and septic system itself is actually in the front. So at least all of my new grass and landscaping will not get killed. It just all of the rain we have had the ground is saturated. My home was built in 94 and I could try to just see how it goes but this is the 3rd time that my system has been pumped in 5 months. If the ground would dry up I would be ok...but I'm just sick of it. Told them just replace it...!Removed!...literally. :)

Yea you and SW didn't come to help dig the hole for the pool...so come on and help me with this one.

I would take a look at the VW / Audi family as well ( Q7 / Toureg). The Toureg comes in a hybrid as well (more tax deductions?). The Toureg is the sibling of the Porsche SUV. I sat in one when I bought my current GTI - unbelievably nice! If I had $65k to spend, that new Toureg would be very hard to beat in my book.

I think all cars have come up in reliability. My admiration for VW has been well documented around here with my two. Bought this last one before I ever sat in the actual car, and still couldn't be happier with the model series. I think the Toureg would be the same way. I figure the RangeRover is similar, but absent of the German driving influence. They've got to be better in terms of reliability by now! Of course, don't ask Mattar for his recommendation "you know what they say about British engines - if there ain't no oil under them, there ain't no oil in them..." Only thing I would be cautious about with the RR is Ford's influence at that price point. Our Volvo is their top model SUV. I can easily tell the Ford influence in it, and I don't care for it at all (loose plastics, broken window switches, etc.) Our former Mazda 3GT (07') was basically three cars in one - Volvo frame, Mazda interior and exterior design, and Ford engine and transmission. Seriously, under the engine had FoMoCo stamped in the metal everywhere. Had to flush the transmission fluid by 15k milies because it was basically cooked, and it was well known that a topside engine mount would be done by 30k miles in general. Had some problems with cheap plastic pullies, and the ac compressor. it was the 2.3 liter engine. Everything else on that car was perfect.

OK, I am biased here, but...do you need a pickup? If so, you can get a REALLY attractive deal on a Ram Laramie right now. I have seen guys getting 16k off MSRP.

If you must have an SUV, there are awesome lease deals on the '12 and '13 Durango Citadel's right now, and they are super nice as well!