Looking To Buy A Used Ls400

yotoy82

1995.. Black.. Tan.. 120,000 miles roughly.

Issues:

1. Steering whine, and the power steering fluid is white and milky... This old guy never changed it before, not sure what he put in there or how it got white and milky. But steering is really really whiney and noisy. Not sure if its been damaged really bad? Don't want to have to replace the power steering pump, thats big $$$! Maybe could pump it out and throw what I can in the reservoir and hope it works for a while?

2. Blowing white/black smoke like crazy, smells like gas really bad, pretty sure its due to a bad ECU, I have a spare one, would throw that in.

3. Only problem is the old guy drove it like that forever thinking it still drives fine, im not going to take it to a dealer... well now the Oxygen sensors must be toast, the spark plugs must be toast, and the Catalytic converters are totally toasted, could hear things bouncing up and down like crazy.

4. Check engine light is on, probably due to the sensors.

5. Timing belt and water pump were never changed on this car, hell I'm surprised he changed the oil even.

What's a good price to get this car at? I'd like to get it cheap and drive as is as much as possible, if the ECU solves the running rich problem.

Mainly, whats the deal with the MILKY bubbly power steering fluid? Any ideas/help to help me decide if its worth 800 I would offer or not even worth that!

Hi Yotoy,

Looks like there is no shortage for possible reasons for the fluid problem. I did a quick search just to give you some ideas to start. Take a look at the link and see if any of the situations make any sense to you.

Let us know what you come up with.

Paul

p.s. Given the list of problems this beast has, it sounds like your initiai $800 will turn in to the price of a early model LS430. You must want this oldie but goodie awfully bad. LOL

What link? Don't want it that bad. Figured would throw in a junk yard ecu, maybe put universal cheap cat converters, flush the power steering fluid and go!

If its an engine issue, probably swap it out. Ls400 engines are cheap

Joseph, I know you probably feel sorry for this abused and neglected LS and want to rescue it from a horrible life. But just run away...fast. You could sink so much money into this thing that a nice, well maintained LS of the same year would look like a pittance in comparison. Too many nice ones out there. Buy this only if you want a lot of work and enjoy it. Otherwise, it sounds like a money pit.

Just curious though, what would be causing the power steering fluid to be milky white?

The basic answer is contaminates. What that is, I don't know. "Usually", water turns petroleum-based fluids a milky white when churned.