Arm Rest Chrome Wearing Off

Sunfun

Hi,

The plastic trim piece (arm rest) on my 2010 es350 is wearing off on both the drivers and passengers side. Does anyone else have this issue and is it covered by warrenty?

Good to hear, Thanks!

When you get a replacement, i would HIGHLY suggest taking the part to an auto-body shop and ask to have it clearcoated. This will give it lifetime protection!

• 2 months later...

To the poster who suggested having the replacement piece clearcoated, how is this done? Do you get the part from the dealer and bring it to a bodyshop to have clearcoated before it is installed and then go back to the dealer to have it installed?

• 1 month later...

To the poster who suggested having the replacement piece clearcoated, how is this done? Do you get the part from the dealer and bring it to a bodyshop to have clearcoated before it is installed and then go back to the dealer to have it installed?

Sorry for the late reply; i'd get the part new (not from the dealer, but rather parts.com for a better price) then either clear it myself or have a body shop do it. They'd need to separate the chrome section from the adjacent wood section (easily done), then clean the chrome section and clear it like they'd clear any other car part. Then put back together. The whole assembly is easily pulled from the door. I don't think you'd need a dealer to do a thing. Any body shop will have plenty of experience to remove these types of pieces.

• 4 weeks later...

I too had the same problem on my 2011. I just bought it in January of this year from my local dealer with 14k miles on it, and when I brought in for the free oil change, my dealer noticed it and had them fix it free of charge.

• 5 weeks later...

I also had this problem on my 2010 ES at less than 10,000 miles on it. Took it to dealer and they replaced all 4 of them. They told me it is a known defect from their supplier. The supplier had a plating issue. So, take it in and they will replace them under warranty. This was approximately a year ago and they still look brand new