Help Me With My Next Purchase, Please!

SissyBoyFloyd

I am a disabled older man who has a horrible time finding a car I can sit in for more than an hour or two without being in pain with my hip and low back. I live on a very small SSD check each month but do have some limited savings to buy by final car (I hope). Your comments on what I am considering would be very helpful to me.

1999 or 2000 LS 400. I have found 2 with 65k miles and 58k miles, both for $14-15,000, and in near mint condition by looking.

2004 LS 430. I have found 1 I really like with 73k miles for $21,000 and likewise in mint appearance.

I like both, however is one a better buy, better car, more comfortable seats, &/or be a better investment if/when I may have to sell it? Would one be less expensive to maintain and/or more enjoyable to drive?

thx for any comments and help.

Don't pay over ten thousand for a 1998-2000 LS400. Miles on these cars are IRRELEVANT. Lower miles might be worse actually. A driven car is more maintained and such better to get one that looks and drives better. Honestly. In Cali should find a 98-00 ls400 for 5-8 grand easy.

At this point LS430 better ride reliable updates value etc. last month my friend bought a mint LS430 with all the bells and whistles 100k miles for 17,500. 2005 model. Don't pay over 19 for an LS430 unless it's a 2006!

2004 with those miles. I would say 18.5 Max if it was ultra luxury with navigation and parking sensors and dynamic cruise control

The Lexus seats are very comfortable on long trips. I find that occasional re-adjustments along the route help keep my back from getting fatigued. Also, I know this may not sound important in warm California, heated seats are nice. I use my heated seats often, even in the summer. I find the heat soothing on my back at times. The heat even helps me on long trips. I do not always use it but it is nice to have and something I would highly recommend for your back.

I prefer the design and the seats of the LS430 personally, but they really haven't changed much since 98. Still bouncy!! As for buying one when I was looking to buy an LS430 over the summer found a few of them for less than $15k with around 100,000 on the ODO based on where I am.

In CA the 04 LS430 is within a good price range, but it also depends on the optional equipment / luxury package that already on the car. How's the CARFAX?

• 3 weeks later...

I also looking to buy either a LS 430 (2004 or 2005) or a GS 2006. The other option is a 2006 BMW 750. Any advice would be much appreciated. I am an able bodied.

I live on a very small SSD check each month

These are great cars but if something goes wrong it can be expensive. If you are of modest means this may not be a good purchase for you. Its easy to get $2,000-$3,000 repair bills on these cars. The good news is they don't break down much. The bad news is when they do, it can be pricey.

If you are mechanically inclined and are able to do some work you can offset part of that risk. But only some of it.

I'd hate to see you burn through your savings and not be in a position to handle an expensive repair down the road.