Oh "ford F150"! My Poor Lex.

1990LS400

Jeez, how could someone rear-end my 2000 LS400 late yesterday afternoon while I was waiting for a traffic light to turn green? I had been sitting there for maybe 10 to 15 seconds with nobody in the other eastbound lane to the right of me and no one in front of me ... it wasn't like I had stopped suddenly for a yellow/red light and the person behind was following too closely. The damage didn't look as bad today as it did yesterday when my back was hurting more than today and while I was stuggling to move all my stuff into a rental car as it began to rain. It was late in the day and Enterprise had only two cars available - I took the lessor of the two evils which was a tiny Smart Fortwo which makes my wife's Prius wagon look like a stretch limosine.

I'm guessing the repair cost will be between $4K and $5K. What do you think?

The F150 that hit me definitely "won" although it will need at least a new front bumper and some body work. The F150 driver quickly whipped a extra temporary insurance card out of his pocket and handed it to me -- the policy effective date of the new policy was yesterday ... maybe printed by the insurance agency earlier in the day.

It sure was a convenient place to get crashed ... right in front of the body shop owned by the same large corporation that owns both local Lexus dealerships and which has repaired damage on our cars numerous times in the past.

post-2157-0-13336500-1350693787_thumb.jp

post-2157-0-42584200-1350693848_thumb.jp

post-2157-0-43090500-1350693961_thumb.jp

You've got to be kiding me?? My accident was on Tuesday, and my chest is still hurting from hitting the steering wheel.

I truly hope your alright Jim. Did you need to get checked out by your doctor or Emergancy Room? It will be interesting to see how your insurer offers to settle up with you given it's a 1990.

I was in the left turn lane, with a green light. I had waited for all the oncoming traffic to clear the intersection and began my left turn through the intersection. Suddenly, in literally a nano second, I saw a blur in the corner of my right eye and a car coming toward me hit me in the drivers side front end, spun the Lexus around so that the full front of my car was pinned up against the drivers door of the other car.

My seat belt apparently didn't lock because my chest hit the steering wheel and I snaped my neck back and forth pretty good. Got checked out at the ER and all OK except for sore chest and legs that got bumped and skin scraped off.

I got a ticket for failure to yield right of way.

The car Is a mess up front with the radiator pushed all the way into the compressor. The guy who towed it said the front frame was bent. The value of the car is $28,000. I'm afraid they will only approve repair, when I think it can't be repaired back to original condition. I believe it should be totaled.

What do you folks think??

Sorry to hear about it Jim, I know you've been worried about that. Doesn't look like this will be the big one though...$4-5k sounds right.

His is a 2000 Paul. You had a wreck too? Geez!

You've got to be kiding me?? My accident was on Tuesday, and my chest is still hurting from hitting the steering wheel.

I truly hope your alright Jim. Did you need to get checked out by your doctor or Emergancy Room? It will be interesting to see how your insurer offers to settle up with you given it's a 1990.

I was in the left turn lane, with a green light. I had waited for all the oncoming traffic to clear the intersection and began my left turn through the intersection. Suddenly, in literally a nano second, I saw a blur in the corner of my right eye and a car coming toward me hit me in the drivers side front end, spun the Lexus around so that the full front of my car was pinned up against the drivers door of the other car.

My seat belt apparently didn't lock because my chest hit the steering wheel and I snaped my neck back and forth pretty good. Got checked out at the ER and all OK except for sore chest and legs that got bumped and skin scraped off.

I got a ticket for failure to yield right of way.

The car Is a mess up front with the radiator pushed all the way into the compressor. The guy who towed it said the front frame was bent. The value of the car is $28,000. I'm afraid they will only approve repair, when I think it can't be repaired back to original condition. I believe it should be totaled.

Paul...you had a accident too?

Hope you are doing ok as well.

Wow, Paul! It sounds my damage is minor compared with yours - both to your car and to your body. Bodyshops (the great ones) are like miracle workers these days when it comes to repairing extreme damage. Your car could come out of this as good as new.

The way I have come to look at it, each time my car gets hit, I get new paint that covers existing scratches and the car looks better than ever when I get it back. Last year after hitting flying road debris, I got a new front bumper cover, front left fender and the left side of the car repainted back to the rear quarter panel. This time I will get that rear quarter panel repainted - eliminating the one scratch that was on the car when I bought it in 2003 - and a new rear bumper cover to replace the one that is looking a little worn since it was replaced in 2007 after a woman too busy talking on her cell phone hit it in stop and go traffic on a slick and snowy day.

My bet is that the 45 year old Ford pickup driver who hit me 2 days ago was either texting or talking on his phone. It's a small world. The guy lives about 30 miles from me in this metro area of a million plus people but I still found that 10 people in my contact list on LinkedIn are also in his LinkedIn contact list. I've actually done a thorough background check on the guy - at least he has a great job and seems to otherwise be a responsible person.

Jim, looks like the left rear quarter got pushed in and will have to be straightened. I would guess $3500-$4k if no hidden damage. Glad you are ok. Be ready for the "ambulance chasers" to be contacting you.

Paul, on the other hand, took a major hit. Other than soreness, sounds like you will be ok as well which is the important thing. Cars can always be repaired or replaced. Before commenting on your car, Paul, can you post any pics of it?

Oh man, I hope there isnt another one lurking, things happen in three's.....Best of luck to both of you....That neck injury is not good...get checked again in a week...

I think Jim's rear quarter panel is actually the decklid being torqued a little more than its the quarter panel itself...

Yeah do you have any pictures Paul? Sounds like a total to me...

I think Jim's rear quarter panel is actually the decklid being torqued a little more than its the quarter panel itself...

Decklid looks virtually untouched to me. The taillight and quarter look like they took a hit.

Decklid looks virtually untouched to me. The taillight and quarter look like they took a hit.

Thanks, that's the conclusion I've come to. This doesn't look nearly as bad as it did in the heat of the moment immediately after the crash. Body shop service writer's comment was "three to four thousand will go pretty quickly on this one."

I'm going to install the "Blinking Smart Stop Intelligent" module from http://www.kahtec.com/smart_stop.htm as soon as I get the car back. I'm fairly certain that I've prevented two other rear end crashes by rapidly tapping my brake pedal when I saw in my rear view mirror that drivers were approaching at high rates of speed while I was stopped ... one, of course, had a phone pressed against her ear. And that's not counting the time I "floored it" while stopped at a red light to keep a full size van from hitting me ... scariest part was the women driver chasing me down to thank me. It seems odd that most of my rear end crashes and close calls have been caused by women... guess it could be a coincidence.

I noticed recently while watching a video that flashing brake lights are now on the European Prius+ van/wagon - essentially the same vehicle as the Prius v my wife recently bought. I wonder if that is now required over there.

Ouch. I hope you both are ok. Hopefully most of this damage is caused by the messed up bumper cover (and maybe supports) pushing everything out of whack.

Mercedes Benz and Lexus both have tried to sell cars here with rear brake lights that flash during a panic stop; I know they got caught in DOT regulations so I don't know if they were ever offered here OEM. They might be a worthwhile upgrade; I've had several cases where I've stopped short and I hear the squeal of brakes behind me (but thankfully no boom). I can't help but think if we were all paying attention more and texting/talking/gpsing/ipodding less this would be less of an issue but the flashing lights might help get people's attention.

The estimate for repairing my 2000 LS400 came in at $5,500 ... was told that it would have been substantially less if the left rear fender had not been bent inward.

So ... it is supposed to be finished on November 9. Sure glad I don't have to look for a new car. I'm enjoying driving the Smart Fortwo "Passion" a lot but I don't think I want to get hit while driving it even if it does have a gazillion (i.e. eight) airbags.

When I bought my first LS In 1990, I swore off having extra "hobby" cars but maybe I need just one more fun little sporty car. I've been thinking about a Scion FR-S with it's Suburu engine but it is a shadow of its Toyota GT86 brother sold in Europe. I think I will lie down until the feeling passes.

I hear ya, Jim. I get the itch for a sporty toy car once in a while. The FR-S does seem like a neat, affordable little number. I also have the itch for a nice Miata to tool around in on nice days. I also would really love to have an NSX but too much $$$. I too, just wait for the feeling to pass. Especially when I see a cool looking Mercedes CLK/AMG. ^_^

• 4 weeks later...

I got my 00 LS400 back last Wednesday - one day short of four weeks after the rear got crunched. It looks great - substantially better than before the crash ... "after repair" photos are attached. All the bodywork behind the rear doors was either repainted or "blended" and re-clearcoated. All the minor imperfections are gone as is the one noticeable scratch that the car had when I purchased it in 2003. It drives as before although the damage did not extend forward enough to affect rear wheel alignment.

I did a rather thorough inspection before accepting the repairs - doubt if many people bring their own rolling "creeper" and lights to inspect repairs under a car.

The original repair estimate was about $5,500 and the final cost to the insurance company rose to $6,727. With last year's repairs after hitting flying road debris that numerous other cars also hit, and a windshield replaced with an OEM one after dump truck gravel took it out, this car has had over $12,000 in body work in the past 18 months.

The bodyshop, owned by the Lexus dealer, inadvertently put chrome emblems on the trunk lid instead of the black pearl "Platinum Series" emblems that came on it. I like the chrome emblems a lot more - never liked the black ones - so I will leave the chrome emblems in place. The shop is providing a set of black pearl emblems in case I change my mind or a future owner wants them.

I'm sure glad that is over! And then yesterday a woman in a LARGE SUV turned left into the turn lane I was occupying and headed right at me... guess she didn't know which side of the double yellow line to drive on. I slammed on the brakes (good thing no one was behind me), laid on the horn and she swerved just in time. Damn! But at least she then waved.

post-2157-0-18030400-1353209206_thumb.jp

post-2157-0-93456600-1353209224_thumb.jp

post-2157-0-36070800-1353209244_thumb.jp

Glad your back in your LS! And you and I need to talk about some life insurance...you have been having a lot of close calls! :)

Thanks. No life insurance needed ... followed the "buy term, invest the difference" method when young.

I installed the Kahtec "Blinking Smart Stop Intelligent" module yesterday to make my center brake light flash rapidly six times when the brakes are applied and then flash rapidly three times every three seconds until the brake pedal is released. The product works as advertised but it triggers multiple instrument cluster warnings. The seller says a particular Radio Shack resister kit should solve the problem but neither the kit or resisters like in the kit are available at Radio Shack. I shouldn't have to search for parts to make this product work so I'll be sending it back and looking for a product that works "out of the box". It apparently works properly on many vehicles since I'm not finding complaints about it.

A variety of flashing brake light systems are now on European market vehicles including those from Toyota. You can see one of these brake light systems at a number of points in this video of a European specification version of my favorite 4-door sedan - Porsche Panamera:

My horn modification of last year may have helped avert yesterday's near head-on crash. The extra horns are from my previous 90 LS400, powered from the underhood fuse box and triggered by a relay. Do not try to power extra or higher power horns from the existing horn circuit - use a relay! The extra horns seem to do a better job of getting the attention of texting and cell phone using drivers wandering out of their lanes and holding up traffic.

post-2157-0-50847400-1353251092_thumb.jp

post-2157-0-21382300-1353254266_thumb.jp

Jim, just curious...what kind of multiple instrument cluster warnings are you getting with the brake light kit? I would think you might just be getting the "lamp out" warning.

Jim, just curious...what kind of multiple instrument cluster warnings are you getting with the brake light kit? I would think you might just be getting the "lamp out" warning.

Besides the "Brake" light being on, something like "check taillights" (don't remember exactly) shows in the information display and the bright red diode just to the left of the information display lights up. I can temporarally clear the warning message is the information display by pressing the steering wheel function button but the other warnings stay on.

I could probably calculate the "strength" of load equalizer(s) that would eliminate the warnings and maybe find them but I'm rather PO'ed that the seller of the brake light kit doesn't provide more guidance or offer specific load equalizers in the cases they are needed.

Since each of the two 921 high stop light bulbs are about 18 watts, my calculation is that the two draw ((2 x 18) / 12V)) a total of 3 amps. 12 volts / 3 amps = 4 Ohms

So, I assume I would need one 4 Ohm, 36 Watt resister or something as close as possible. There is little space under the high stop light and I would be concerned about the heat a resister creates - don't know much about them but I understand they can get HOT.

The way the original system works, the current draw is sensed and, if not sufficient, causes a message. Apparently, the computer is sensing the press of the brake pedal and expecting current draw. This Kahtec kit also apparently puts the circuit break (to cause the flashing) beyond the point where the computer senses the pedal press and therefore the fault logic 'thinks' that something is wrong. Kahtec should have thought of that beforehand. I would advise against adding the dummy load resistor (BTW, your calculations are correct) because, while it might foil the current sense, it would put undue current draw on the braking system. Unless you can ensure that the dummy resistor is only powered during the 'off' period of the brake bulbs, the system will be drawing double the power(and current). Definitely not good. Maybe contact the company?

The way the original system works ...

Thanks, Randy. I'm starting to suspect that the Kahtec "company" is just a guy running a business out of his garage - a worthy attempt at running a small business without the technical knowledge required to provide professionally engineered products. The address of the Kahtec "company" really is a modest house in what appears to be a declining Austin,Texas neighborhood. So ... another lesson learned and particularly the futility of trying to install modern technology on an older car.

• 3 weeks later...

Sometimes I think if it wasn't for bad luck there wouldn't be any luck at all. I went through a period when I had a bunch of accidents most weren't my fault. Sorry to see the 2000 bashed but they will easily fix that. Paul's will be a different issue. Sorry to all. It sucks but you ain't dead so carry on.