Extended Warranty, Should We Buy On Recently Purchased 2007 Rx400H?

Last weekend I helped my mom purchase her first luxury car and it happened to be a 2007 RX400h with 69k miles. We did not purchase from a Lexus dealer so it is not "Certified Pre-owned" (not sure what that means or what coverage is included). During the financing portion, the finance lady offered us an extended warranty that was available if we chose to purchase. My questions:

What is still covered from the standard Lexus warranty? Considering the car is a 2007 with 69k miles. I am mainly concerned with the hybrid aspect of the vehicle as I am new to hybrids.

Is purchasing an extended warranty worth it? Has anyone had experience with an extended warranty from a third party?

Thanks all! Trying to help out my mom who is loving her "new" RX400h

my experience with third party warranty is very poor....(long time ago) Maybe have car checked by lexus and see if they will offer an extended warranty....

Don't buy any extended warranty until you read this:

http://www.consumerreports.org/cro/2012/05/extended-warranties-a-high-priced-gamble/index.htm

Our 2006 RX400h is 3 years past the factory warranty expiration date and it is running flawlessly. It has over 72,000 miles on it. I believe the hybrid warranty is 150,000 miles for California owners and 100,000 miles for owners in most other states. The dealership with which you are dealing should give you the hybrid components warranty details.

• 2 weeks later...

And, on the other hand - my 2006 needed an inverter ($7000 part, covered under the hybrid warranty) and a transmission ($5000 part, covered under an extended warranty (not third party, but a Lexus extended warranty). The second transmission started leaking in the same spot as the first tranny within one year and 25 000km. Warranty was done..I'm now driving an MDX.

Last weekend I helped my mom purchase her first luxury car and it happened to be a 2007 RX400h with 69k miles. We did not purchase from a Lexus dealer so it is not "Certified Pre-owned" (not sure what that means or what coverage is included). During the financing portion, the finance lady offered us an extended warranty that was available if we chose to purchase. My questions:

What is still covered from the standard Lexus warranty? Considering the car is a 2007 with 69k miles. I am mainly concerned with the hybrid aspect of the vehicle as I am new to hybrids.

Is purchasing an extended warranty worth it? Has anyone had experience with an extended warranty from a third party?

Thanks all! Trying to help out my mom who is loving her "new" RX400h

A Lexus CPO (Certified Pre-owned) you cant loose..I have a RX and ES both CPO..With CPO you get 3yrs/100,000 miles, free warranty..

• 1 month later...

I have a 2006 RX400H bought new from Crown Ontario Ca. lexus, with 50,000 miles on it. There service manager said they do not have many problems with them and if it was his car he would not get the extended warranty, and I didn't. (knock on wood)

And, on the other hand - my 2006 needed an inverter ($7000 part, covered under the hybrid warranty) and a transmission ($5000 part, covered under an extended warranty (not third party, but a Lexus extended warranty). The second transmission started leaking in the same spot as the first tranny within one year and 25 000km. Warranty was done..I'm now driving an MDX.

Keep in mind that Lemon lives in an area of the world that sees extremely cold temperatures. Most of us (and our vehicles) will never experience such drastic changes in temps.

i purchased a 400h new in 2005 and it now has 92000 miles. my previous vehicle was a ford exploder that was almost completly rebuilt with the use of the normal, and extended warranty i purchased. Being new to lexus i did buy the extended warranty. It did cover a failed front wheel bearing ($400) at 60,000 and a leaking water pump at 80,000, ($800) so it paid for itself. I agree with most here that the vehicle is reliable. Also i would read a third party warranty policy carefully to see what is excuded. None of these warranties cover the hybrid system. they cover the engine, 'transmission', and driveline and some surrounding parts as if it was a non hybrid car. Also many dealers get paid a commission for selling that policy, and will negotiate the price. Also find out if there is a deductible for each claim and what that amount is. Enjoy your 400h. Finally check with the dealer to see if you need to transfer the hybrid warranty to your moms name to make sure coverage is in place as the second owner.