Es300H

enablers2

Have around 1200 miles on my ES300h. Had an HS250h before. Got 32-34 average mpg for 3 years on the HS. Only getting around 35 mpg on the ES so far. While alot of city driving in Los Angeles area, I do believe the car is not getting advertised mpg, especially in light of the mpg on my HS which was rated 32-34mpg. What experiences are other ES300h owners having? I know all the hybrid tricks that worked on the HS. I notice the real time mpg indicator, when going 45-60 mph and running in Eco mode and gauge in Eco range is at 35-38mpg. Love to hear other owners experience before I talk to dealer.

Have around 1200 miles on my ES300h. Had an HS250h before. Got 32-34 average mpg for 3 years on the HS. Only getting around 35 mpg on the ES so far. While alot of city driving in Los Angeles area, I do believe the car is not getting advertised mpg, especially in light of the mpg on my HS which was rated 32-34mpg. What experiences are other ES300h owners having? I know all the hybrid tricks that worked on the HS. I notice the real time mpg indicator, when going 45-60 mph and running in Eco mode and gauge in Eco range is at 35-38mpg. Love to hear other owners experience before I talk to dealer.

I may not be the best one to ask - we have only gone about 200 miles in the car over the 10 days we had it. 75 miles was driven by myself from the car dealer to my home on the freeway - most of the other trips have been short jaunts of 20 miles or less - although on two trips I had three people in the car incuding my wife. With all of that - according to the car computer we are getting 38.5.

Similar to pal..22 i have limited miles on my new es300h. I am at 300 miles and i am averaging 34.1 mpg. Some additional notes:

1 i have driven in economy mode almost entirely.

2 mostly highway at 75 mph on cruise control. I would estimate 80/20 highway/city.

3 i do not know the fuel grade. Fuel came with the car.

4 its been 60-70 F hence heat and a/c have been minimal.

I'm pretty patient and am looking forward to refueling and starting this experiment again. I'll post my mph again next week (~300 miles per week).

• 3 weeks later...

I'm at 2k+ miles and have increased to an average of 36.5 mpg. My driving has been pretty consistent as I stated above. I tried one fill up of premium and averaged 38.5. But clearly the economics do not work out to use premium (see below) The chart record generally shows a gradually increasing fuel economy with each fill up.

During the premium fuel test I conducted, I was also on my way from VT to CT (mostly down hill) and hit an average of 46 mpg During the 112 mile trip! But soon as I started my sea level trips to work, the mileage dropped back to the 38.5 I noted above.

Anyone else?

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

I have about 400 miles on my 300h. Probably a 50/50 mix of highway and suburban driving (45mph with timed stop lights and neighborhood streets at 20 mph). Averaging about 36 to 38 mpg. One specific trip of about eight miles on suburban streets ran 43 mpg. All driving done in Eco mode.

Driving style has the biggest impact on mpg. Look at the crazy suggestions on Hyper Miling and pick a few that work for you. IMO, anticipation of lights (to reduce braking) and very careful acceleration are the two biggest keys.

I also have a Ford C-Max hybrid; the mpg claim on that car is 47/47. It is not doing nearly as well to being "real". The Lexus number is more real world in my experience.

• 1 month later...

I have 2100 on the 300h and average about 36 mpg. About 1200 of that 2100 was run on 2 interstate trips. Typical midwest US geography @ about 50 degrees F, using regular fuel.

• 4 months later...

I'm getting about 38.5 with mix of freeway/city driving. Usually have AC going. Regular grade gas (even the dealer recommends NOT using premium gas.) I drive cautiously and usually coast to a stop sign. Drive in Eco in city, regular mode on freeway. Service advisor says it takes a while for the car to settle in to a higher mpg mode. My mileage went up nicely after first gas fillup. Just be patient.

• 2 months later...

We have a relatively new ES 300h with only 1,100 miles so
far. It is my wife’s car and she drives
mostly local city miles and is getting advertised MPG of ~40, sometimes a
little higher. She always leaves the
mode in NORMAL. I do notice that above
65 mph on the interstate (approximately) the MPG will start to decrease somewhat.

I have a question.
What does the display in the “Best MPG” mean and when will it work or
change? Ours is blank and I’m curious to
know what it should do and when.

Thank you.

• 2 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

We have had our 2014 ES300h for about 4 months. Coming up to 5,000 miles. So far, we are averaging about 37 mpg. If we are very careful with driving techniques we will occasionally average over 40 for a trip (we have achieved that for both highway and city trips)- but that is the exception. So far, no problems. We like the car and are pleased with performance. Too many bells and whistles for me, but that's the way it seems to be going.

I get about 38-39 actual calculated mpg with regular fuel. At least 99% of the time I'm in Sport mode and city/highway use is about equal. Currently I have just over 2000 mi. on the car. For this degree of luxury, size and decent performance, I am quite content with it.

• 1 month later...
  • 5 months later...

I'm at 800 miles on my '14 ES300. I've done a few miles city driving, but the bulk of the driving has been on the freeway, driving to San Diego and back to Las Vegas last weekend. Probably 90/10 hwy/city. So far my mpg is at 43.3 mpg.

• 8 months later...

It all depends on HOW you drive as much as WHERE you drive. Example: Outside of Cleveland, OH and with a full tank on an interstate, I was getting 50mpg for about 20 miles. No joke. I'd say stop n go, throttling, braking, etc. will effect the overall efficiency. Nearer to home in the city I'm getting 36mpg with 1200 miles. Not bad. The previous hybrid (picture) was good for 23city / 33highway.

• 8 months later...

Bought this 2016 ES300H in early December 2015, now at about 460 miles. "Low Fuel" indicator came on at 450 miles, on first tank of dealer fuel - fuel gauge indicating full at delivery. MPG would come to 32. Been driving about 60% in-town and 40% highway. Temperature was in the 50s to 70s - record breaking warm weather in Maryland in December 2015! Been driving very gently in hope to see a good gas mileage, no hard acceleration or stopping. Car has been in Normal mode. I started to think that there may be a quality control problem with Lexus, to see such a large disparity of mpg among different users.

• 4 years later...