2011 Car Color Winners

pj8708

You mean ... there are colors other than white? NOOOOO!!!

I just realized I never took a photo of the white 98 Camry my wife drove from new and which the Prius replaced. Camry recently went to a 14 year old nephew in Iowa - 14 year old car for a 14 year old kid.

My lifetime "infatuation" with white cars comes from reading an article about the safest car colors which was published in the 1960's in the Mercedes owners magazine "In Aller Welt".

post-2157-0-58681600-1350132948_thumb.jp

post-2157-0-70693800-1350133019_thumb.jp

They say that white is really the abcense of color. Not sure if I agree. My wife's car is a white, 2007 Volvo S80. The white makes the whole car really "pop". But with my Lexus I chose Black Saphire. Haven't been disapointed.

My first car when I was 16 was a 56 Chevy that somebody had painted "Powder Blue". To top it off, it also had chrome "Baby Moon" caps. I'm pretty sure the Powder Blue didn't catch on in Detroit. Car cost me $450.

• 4 weeks later...

They say that white is really the abcense of color. Not sure if I agree. My wife's car is a white, 2007 Volvo S80. The white makes the whole car really "pop". But with my Lexus I chose Black Saphire. Haven't been disapointed.

My first car when I was 16 was a 56 Chevy that somebody had painted "Powder Blue". To top it off, it also had chrome "Baby Moon" caps. I'm pretty sure the Powder Blue didn't catch on in Detroit. Car cost me $450.

I think they should have said, "White is the presence of all colors"! ^_^ I'd argue that black has the absence of color (at least from a scientific standpoint). I really like white vehicles, especially Lexus' starfire pearl. My mom's '10 ES350 has the starfire, which really makes my dad's '09 white RX350 seem "dull".

I LOVE the starfire pearl! I'm glad Lexus brought some dark shade of blue back.

I think they should have said, "White is the presence of all colors"! ^_^ I'd argue that black has the absence of color (at least from a scientific standpoint). I really like white vehicles, especially Lexus' starfire pearl. My mom's '10 ES350 has the starfire, which really makes my dad's '09 white RX350 seem "dull".

I LOVE the starfire pearl! I'm glad Lexus brought some dark shade of blue back.

I tend to agree with you CD regarding the absence/presence of light argument. Knowing you, your probably familiar with the "Doppler Effect" discovered and now used to measure the speed of stars moving away from us or moving toward us. (I'll leave out the passing train metaphor). In the middle or neautral part of the light spectrum everything is pure white, (simplified). As the source of the pure light begins to move away from us, the photons or light waves are elongated by the pressure of the force being applied to the leading edge of the photons and the light you see trailing behind starts becoming red; or the longer part of the light spectrum waves.

I think that white is the mixture of all colors. Otherwise, where do the red (longer waves), or blue (shorter waves seen in front of our moving group of photons) come from?

2010 was a great year for ES colors. The Truffle Mica that SW bought, The Black Saphire I owned and the White Pearl you love. As for 2013, In my belief, the colors are awful. I spent two days trying to figure out which color I would be the least likely to grow to hate intensly over a 5 year period. Finally, I turned coward and chose black. Everybody knows it's pretty hard to screw up black.!

Starfire pearl is an amazing color especially when seen in certain lighting conditions.

I refuse to own the common plain silver gray color, way too common and too dull for me.

I agree. Our Lexus is SP and when it's clean, waxed and in the sun, it looks interesting/great. Easy to keep clean too.

Starfire pearl is an amazing color especially when seen in certain lighting conditions.

I refuse to own the common plain silver gray color, way too common and too dull for me.

I agree. Our Lexus is SP and when it's clean, waxed and in the sun, it looks interesting/great. Easy to keep clean too.

I prefer my SUV's in white, so the new Mazda CX-5 is Crystal White Pearl Mica.

I prefer my SUV's in white, so the new Mazda CX-5 is Crystal White Pearl Mica.

Nice combo. CX-5 and White Pearl Mica.......