Headlight Help For Mr. Stupid

youngdoog

I simply wanted to change the headlight bulbs in the '94 Ls400. Looked like a piece of cake:

Passenger side:

I removed the air cleaner housing to expose the hand hole, after removing the plastic cover. I reached in, disconnected the plug, and then twisted the plastic retainer ring counter-clockwise to remove it. Then I expected to simply pull the bulb out. No way. Nothing moves.

I tried the driver side, after pushing the battery back-without disconnecting it. Same result. Rather than breaking something, I reassembled everything, and am now at the mercy of the more enlightened ones on our forum.

I've checked most discussions on the forum, but could not find an answer. PLease don't tell me I have to replace the whole assembly. If so, double help needed.

Geez, I replaced the footlight today. Never knew it existed until I was looking at the owner's manual. And I didn't even hurt myself. Thanks in advance for your assistance.

Assuming that the headlights on a 94 LS are similar enough to the 90 LS I used to have (they look the same but are a bit different), my 90 LS owners manual recommended removing the entire headlight/foglight light unit assembly in order to replace bulbs. Sounds hard but it is easy - less than five minutes once you know how.

With the hood open, remove the parking light next to the headlight by removing the one screw holding it in place at the top. With your fingertips, pry the parking light out - it will pop out and slide forward. Then remove the nut holding the headlight assembly in place on the outboard side. There are two more bolts holding the headlight unit in place on the inboard side - one at the top and one at the bottom. Be careful not to tamper with the aiming screws. The headlight / foglight unit should come right out although you might have to do a bit of jockeying. It is usually possible to reinstall the headlight/foglight units without re-aiming the lights.

If you don't have an owners manual, registering on the Lexus web site might get you one. Unfortunately at some point the instructions for replacing bulbs were removed from the owners manual - I don't know if they are in the 94 manual.

Good luck!

I simply wanted to change the headlight bulbs in the '94 Ls400. Looked like a piece of cake:

Passenger side:

I removed the air cleaner housing to expose the hand hole, after removing the plastic cover. I reached in, disconnected the plug, and then twisted the plastic retainer ring counter-clockwise to remove it. Then I expected to simply pull the bulb out. No way. Nothing moves.

I tried the driver side, after pushing the battery back-without disconnecting it. Same result. Rather than breaking something, I reassembled everything, and am now at the mercy of the more enlightened ones on our forum.

I've checked most discussions on the forum, but could not find an answer. PLease don't tell me I have to replace the whole assembly. If so, double help needed.

Geez, I replaced the footlight today. Never knew it existed until I was looking at the owner's manual. And I didn't even hurt myself. Thanks in advance for your assistance.

I had 91 Ls400 trying all combination but failed to make parking light turn on both side in front of the car. Light bull is OK. Any suggestions. Thanks.

I have a 1990 LS400, am I able to switch out the stock headlights for HID bulbs? Suggestions or recommendations? Thanks.

Guess I could've easily called up the nearest Lexus dealership to ask, but I'm beginning to realize that the collective knowledge and experience from this forum is quite extensive and unparalleled. Glad I'm a part of it. :cheers:

Just got a pair of Xenon HID light bulbs (9004 type) for my 92 LS400. I'll post here later to let you know how it goes....assuming that I'm successfun :D

p.s. Don't laugh at me if I mess up :P

HID is 'NOT' a bulb--it is a system ; the best you can do is a 100(or 130) watt hi-beam--80 low, from JCW is the cheaper.

Is much better than stock but not better than 4-100watt Cibe Z-beams on a BMW('85 635CSI euro)--sure do miss all the light !!!! but, again, it is the best you can do[or I can do] unless you install driving lights--and there ain't no room for that !!!

Just install them(9004's) and DON'T overdrive them.

You don't want HID anyway(even on 2004 models)---almost EVERYONE you meet will flip their high beams at you!!!-----that ain't good is it.

HID is 'NOT' a bulb--it is a system ; the best you can do is a 100(or 130) watt hi-beam--80 low, from JCW is the cheaper.

Is much better than stock but not better than 4-100watt Cibe Z-beams on a BMW('85 635CSI euro)--sure do miss all the light !!!! but, again, it is the best you can do[or I can do] unless you install driving lights--and there ain't no room for that !!!

Just install them(9004's) and DON'T overdrive them.

So where do I purchase these 9004-type xenon bulbs? What's it mean to not overdrive them?

What about these JCW bulbs? Where do I purchase them? Lexus dealership?

Thanks.

Something nutty here-I was simply asking about changing out the 94 LS400 head lights-and we've gone off to the High Intensity Zone. So let's see what I've found out-with cuts and bruises.

First of all, thanks to my sparring partner from Lexana, Ks. Maybe the methods you described work for your vehicles-but I'm not sure on my '94LS.

Here we go-There are handholes on the right and left side of the interior engine compartment at the fog and headlights. I assumed they are to allow access to the bulbs. One is near the battery, and impedes easy access to the handhole area. The passenger side, however, is clear and easily accessible after removing the air filter and housing. So I started there. I removed the plastic handhole cover, and found the plug. Removed it with a pull. However, the bulb was still solidly in the headlight, with only the prongs sticking out. After a study, I figured out that a plastic retainer ring was holding a rubber cover on the bulb body. After a lot of cursing and exertion, I managed to remove the retainer. The rest was easy. What remained was the rubber covering, easily removed, and the bulb body. It was still stuck in the headlight by a metal spring retainer. The retainer has a rounded edge, which simply needs to be pushed in, and pulled sideways. This releases the bulb. Pull out the bulb, replace with a new one, place the metal retainer on the bulb after placing the bulb in the headlight, push the rubber covering back on the bulb body, and finally, screw the plastic retainer ring in to secure the whole thing. Case closed. Way to go, Mr. S. 10 bucks for the bulb-Free labor.

However, the drivers side is a problem. Mr. Lexana knows that I am concerned that I do not want to disconnect the battery to allow access to the drivers side headlight, since I live in fear day and night that, if I lose battery power, my radio, which has an unknown SEC code already installed by Mr. Unknown, will lose power, go into Theft mode, and force me to go to Lexus Armandaleg Land for resetting. Which some people don't mind. However, after wedging the battery as far away from the access hole as I can, I have gained reasonable access, but have been unable to remove the plastic retainer by twisting it counter-clockwise. It's fighting me to be removed. Not sure why. I'm ready to break it off, to get access to the bulb.

That's where I stand. I want to make sure the headlight bulbs match, so I need to replace the drivers side bulb. Any thoughts are appreciated.

Just a couple of rehtorical questions about that radio code saga...

you can't find any hand written "code #" in the owners manual? Or is there even a manual?

Maybe the code doesn't disable the radio unless the Connection is physically separated...in other words, a battery change or disconnection for service wouldn't affect the radio.??

Is there a way to reset the code by turning the ignition key to "ACC" and holding some buttons on the radio for seconds or something.....(for example)

Talk to the parts guy at the local Lexus dealer....

Online manual @ lexus.com???

Well, I finally replace the drivers side headlight. The retainer ring was stuck on the rubber protective cover. I rigged a hooked tool to rip the rubber thingy out, and the retainer ring followed easily. Installation of the new bulb was easy from there. Didn't have to disconnect the battery.

To 99LS Guy-

Regarding the question about the :P radio code mess, Lexus will not help me. Sure, I'm being a pain, since the radio is working fine. But it never hurts to anticipate a problem with a 10 year old car. Especially a Lexus, since the dealers and mechanics should wear ski masks. No, there is no way to fool with buttons or whatever-One of our forum gurus gave me the answer I expected-Need a scanner to change the existing code to a new one.

I have a partial history for the car, and it's almost criminal looking at the charges the previous owner paid for. While I don't know who he is, I can only guess that he paid for the 90,000 mile check-up, and then gave up. When I got the car at 99,000 miles, there were 9 bulbs burned out. 2 Vanity, footlight, glove compartment, back seat, 2 doors, 1 side light, and one license plate bulb. Rear window would not close from the front seat, front window would not close automatically. The front end was awful, due to 4 lousy, yet fairly new Pirelli tires. I swapped and balanced them, and the front is fine, but the rear feels like I'm doing the hula. New tires will be needed. Power steering pump-You know it's leaking-They all do, it would seem. What would Lexus have charged for this work? Can you say "Welcome" to the famous Count Armandaleg?

The point is that most dealers today, maybe not high priced Lexus, make most of their profits on repairs. A known fact. Here in Vegas, there is only one Lexus dealer for 1.7 million residents. 25 miles from here. I'd like to get the radio code from the previous owner, but I'm guessing he wouldn't talk to me, anyway.

Thanks everybody for the help. Case closed. I like the car a lot. With gas at $2.30/gal, I drive it once a day for 20 miles. Kinda like owning a thoroughbred racehorse-only more expensive.