Car Battery Ls460,08 Help

Has anybody here every replaced their car battery them selves? This appears to look like a I gocha pay up from the dealer and Toyota. The battery will hit 5 years shortly and I like to replace them at about 4 1/2 years. I did a seach on the net but did not find a step by step how to . The Radio has a key number and I have no idea were to find that. It takes a series 24. Walmart but they won't go near it. I had a Jag like that once. That thing ate batteries. My LS460 eats tires. Batteries are cheaper.

Lexus replacement batteries are interstate .

A battery installed at the dealer have a 7 year pro rated replacement warranty.

A LS 460 does not have a radio code.

There are many systems on a LS460 that may need to be re- initialized upon battery replacement .

A LS 460 is fastenating technology .

• Thanks 1

Hmm, dead post,oh well.

So I will post my answer based on my experience today.

I did some searches and most were dead wrong with a few being right on battery replacement . That is a probelm, sorting out the guys who guessed and never did it to the guys who knew and did it.

This was a trip and even the Lexus dealer gave me a wrong answer. One wrong answer and I won't believe anything you say.

Changing the battery is just like any other old car. Nothing special and nothing to worry about if you have done it before. Short out a lead and you have had it.

1 The radio- If you have a dot blinking on and off that means it has a security code # . Don't install the battery but take it to the dealer and get hosed. My radio had never been assigned a code number and there is no danger of locking it up.

2. Some cars but NOT the LS 460 require a 9V jumper in the cigar lighter to keep all electronics live. Lexus has a built in hold up so you will not have to worry about anything being lost. The cigar lighter can not be used with a hold up because it is disconnected when the car is turned off. I checked it with a voltmeter. . Do NOT turn the car on so you can use it. I have no idea what might happen but you would probably be in a lot of trouble.$$$$

Tools needed

a .Screwdriiver to pry battery terminal open after the bolts have been losened.

b, spanner wrench 10MM and 11MM for undoing terminal clamps on battery.

c . Phillips screw driver to press clips open

d. roll of duct tape

TURN OFF ALL THINGS IN THE CAR AND PLACE THE KEY FOB IN ANOTHER ROOM !!

Start by removing two plastic panels on the passengers side covering the battery. There is one big panel over the front wheel and one small panel near the cowl with rubber weather seal that have to be removed. Gently fold over the small panel toward the drivers side. To remove the panels locate the clips. Push in the center, you will hear a click. Push them all in. They are all loose and if you pick the panel up, for sure, you will loose a few. Cover them with duct tape so they don't pop out. or store in a box. I had several clips missing from the dealers work and or Jiffy Lube. Before you start buy a full set from Lexus. You need these anyway after the miscreants work on your car. in the future. The clips are not user frendly and tricky.

With the panels off, the battery is in plain sight and very easy to get out compared to a Jag I once owned. You will have to unbolt the terminals. and a hold down clamp . First roll up all the windows and turn everything off incuding AC and the radio. Remove the key fob starter to another room . You don't want to turn the car on with the Fob. If you do you are dead meat.

Prepare a series about 8" long of duct tape. Fold back about 1" on each end and stick it to the other side.

Unbolt the hold down fixture. It has one nut. Duct tape the rod to the front side so it can't flop forward and get in the way while the new battery is being installed.

Using the 10MM and 11MM spaner undo the hot + lead toward the drivers first. Use extreme caution do not tiouch the spanner or lead to the frame and short it out. When the terminal is unbolted you may have to use a screw driver to pry it open so you can remove it. When it comes off cover it with the duct tape you prepared so no metal shows. Move it to one side. There is a lot of room but keep it away from metal.

Using the spanner again repeat the process and move the minus - lead to one side.

Pull out the old battery and install the new one. Very easy to do. Install the clamp down holder.

Place the plastic panels in place. The clips have to be reset. Lift from panel and push in the center part so it sticks above the out side ring. I used channel locks. Its not easy. You may loose some. I told you to have replacements on hand. Listen up. Insert the clip and push down. That's easy. You can off course remove all the clips and place in a box for safe keeping. Your choice.

All done.

If you are an expert battery installer just rip the old battery out and install the new one. There is nothing that you have to do to protect the settings that I know of. This was confirmed by some others advice. Then there were others talking about using a 9 V hold up and a bunch of other nonsense. Who do you trust? I'm a engineer, MSEE and paid cash for our LS460. However anyone can say that. Good luck.

This took me 15 minutes to install and two days to find out nobody knew how to do it. Rant- what's with our education system that kids can graduate and know absolutely nothing about electricity but stuff about Zeus ? Unreal, in this electrically driven world.

Rant #2 How can we expect an electric car to work for years when I have to replace the battery in my Gas powered car every 4 years? Batteries suck and guess what? Toyota said that just last week as they pulled the plug on their all electric car.

• Thanks 1

• 9 years later...