Oh "deer"! My Poor Lex.

landar

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Hey Steve. Actually I have seen that clip from the UK. The deer here in the US are very thick as they really have no natural predators. I cannot tell you the number of drivers that I talk to who have had accidents with deer. Almost everyone has a story. In my 40 years of driving, this is my first. That alone is pretty amazing. Many people have multiple encounters with deer.

I have taken my car to the second repair shop that I trust and will have an estimate early next week. The insurance co. tells me that at this price level, they will definitely be sending their independent estimator to have a look. They seem to think a deer strike should be in the $500-2k range. While that may be true in the majority of cases, I have a Lexus and I hit the deer just under 70 MPH. That alone can(will) cause major damage.

Most cases if the adjuster has to come out they will have a laptop and most companies use a software program that will calculate and pay for visible damage. Then when the shop tears down the car, if the damage exceeds the estimate they will open what is called a supplemental claim to pay for additional damages. Where I live most all of the good shops are normally approved shops and there is not much that has to be done other than take the car to the shop to have the work done. I have over a dozen insurance carriers that I work with and all but a few work this way. If the shop is approved by the insurance company they will deal with the insurance company and most of the time the shop will do the estimate with out a adjuster even coming out to see the damage. This is by no means saying you have to use the approved shops but at least in my area the approved shops are all who I would use to get my own car fixed. They are not little hole in the wall places normally they are the larger shops in the area. The shop takes photos and submits the estimate to the company and the company approves it. This certainly may not be the case everywhere…but at least for me it makes things simple. Drop your car off here…we will have enterprise meet you with a rental car (if they have rental coverage is applicable) and the shop will call you when the car is ready. Obviously we have to set up the claim or have the claim called in but any time the insured has no preference I always direct them to the “pro shops” – “good hands shops” – “approved repair facility” in my experience the insured is generally taken care of much faster and is almost always satisfied with the work. If they are not the insurance company will back the work…not just the body shop. IMHO I would always at least ask for the approved shops in my area to see if one that I wanted to use was on their list…you don’t have to use them.

Thanks for that bit of advice, LEXIR. I have two shops in mind. One is the shop that the Lexus dealer uses for its repairs, since they do not have a body shop on the premise. The other shop is more of a Rod-and-Custom paint shop. They do some nice work but are not as experienced with Lexus as the first shop. I have spoken with the owners of both shops. The dealer shop is professional but rather matter-of-fact about everything. He seems to get a little irritated if I ask a question he has already answered or if I ask 'too' many questions. The Rod-and-Custom shop owner is very amicable. Will answer any and all questions very gladly. His shop is not as professional and clean looking as the other shop but I know he does good quality work. I am trying to decide which shop to choose. I will find out if they are "approved".

I also found out that though I have full coverage on my car, the insurance does not cover a rental car. That was a pleasant(<sarcasm>) surprise. Seeing that my car may be in the shop for several weeks, it sure would be nice but I can manage. Depending upon the outcome of all of this, I am seriously thinking of finding a new insurance company. My current is certainly not bending over backwards for me. I guess that's to be expected. Sixteen years without a single claim.

Thanks for that bit of advice, LEXIR. I have two shops in mind. One is the shop that the Lexus dealer uses for its repairs, since they do not have a body shop on the premise. The other shop is more of a Rod-and-Custom paint shop. They do some nice work but are not as experienced with Lexus as the first shop. I have spoken with the owners of both shops. The dealer shop is professional but rather matter-of-fact about everything. He seems to get a little irritated if I ask a question he has already answered or if I ask 'too' many questions. The Rod-and-Custom shop owner is very amicable. Will answer any and all questions very gladly. His shop is not as professional and clean looking as the other shop but I know he does good quality work. I am trying to decide which shop to choose. I will find out if they are "approved".

I also found out that though I have full coverage on my car, the insurance does not cover a rental car. That was a pleasant(<sarcasm>) surprise. Seeing that my car may be in the shop for several weeks, it sure would be nice but I can manage. Depending upon the outcome of all of this, I am seriously thinking of finding a new insurance company. My current is certainly not bending over backwards for me. I guess that's to be expected. Sixteen years without a single claim.

Find a reputable independent insurance agent. They will be able to market you with multiple companies and compare coverage for you.

On the rental car subject to be honest I do not even have that on my own policy. if you look at the numbers it is actually quite expensive. Average $30 a year per car many companies charge more, some less but for a max payout of $900 or so. I will take my chances on that one.

I also found out that though I have full coverage on my car, the insurance does not cover a rental car. ...... Sixteen years without a single claim.

I learned the same a few years ago. Rental car is an "extra fee" I was dropping $3k/yr to these turkeys and they nickle dimed me on a rental car. No wonder the web based insurance companies are kicking the traditional agent companies butt....

I also found out that though I have full coverage on my car, the insurance does not cover a rental car. ...... Sixteen years without a single claim.

I learned the same a few years ago. Rental car is an "extra fee" I was dropping $3k/yr to these turkeys and they nickle dimed me on a rental car. No wonder the web based insurance companies are kicking the traditional agent companies butt....

That's funny since even Geico has started to open agencies! How do you figure web based companies are kicking the traditional agents but. Most sales of insurance are completed with a insurance agent...even if the quote is started online. The fact is most web based insurance will cut your coverages to save you money. It is the way their systems are all geared. They know people that look online are looking to save money and so it is all about price. Rental is a optional coverage...if you want it make sure you have it. I make sure that my staff does offer it but most people with 2 or 3 cars when you do the math you are better off not to have it. Seriously think about it if you have 3 cars and pay for rental that's $90 a year for a typical $30 a day 30 day max coverage per car. So your spending $30 a year to insure against a at the most $900 loss which isn't typical. Normally most cars are repaired within a week or two so more than likely your paying $30 a year for maybe $200 of coverage that you may need if you have a accident that is your fault. Come on...I haven't had a claim that I have needed a rental car for that was my fault in over 15 years...so if I need a rental car I will pay for it out of pocket.

There are people that need this coverage...people with no credit, live pay check to pay check...etc., but honestly in most cases it isn't worth it for someone with more than one car to pay for this coverage. But as I said we at least will always give some one the option to have it. As a matter of fact we have a rental/towing waiver form that we just started using for this reason. Most people don't remember what they purchased when the have a claim. But they think that they should have had it.

Good luck Landar...by the way even though you do not have rental on your policy some carrier such as Allstate will get you a discounted rate on the rental car since you have insurance with them. A few others I know of do this as well. That may help you out a little on the price too.

That's funny since even Geico has started to open agencies!.... How do you figure web based companies are kicking the traditional agents butt.

Don't take it personal but the historical agency based model is dying thanks to the internet and direct sales. The insurance companies are under serious price pressure and the high cost agency direct (local agent) sales model is not in alignment with these realities. This is a structural economic change to this industry (not a temporary situation). I suspect the local agency model won't exist in another 10-15 years.

If you own an agency sell it while it is still worth something...

I disagree. I do business with a number of traditional agency owners and their business is up. I personally would never, ever buy insurance from a direct source without an agent, having that agent there to give you advice and help you through a claims process is just too valuable. In the end, when you compare apples to apples the savings isn't much.

Why would Allstate, a traditional agency centered company, have bought esurance if the agency model was dead? Wouldn't it have been the other way around? Direct internet sales is a niche market, very small % of the policies overall that are purchased. By the virtue of the internet...it looks bigger than it is.

Its just like my business, I'm in the real estate business and people are always saying some thing on the internet is going to come along and do us in, and it just doesn't work that way. Sure the internet changes how we do business, but it doesn't replace us. Same is true in the insurance industry.

That's funny since even Geico has started to open agencies!.... How do you figure web based companies are kicking the traditional agents butt.

Don't take it personal but the historical agency based model is dying thanks to the internet and direct sales. The insurance companies are under serious price pressure and the high cost agency direct (local agent) sales model is not in alignment with these realities. This is a structural economic change to this industry (not a temporary situation). I suspect the local agency model won't exist in another 10-15 years.

If you own an agency sell it while it is still worth something...

And you are a expert in this how? I have read several studies on this and while it is true that more people turn to the Internet for research and may even get quotes...most make their purchase using an agent. I find it disturbing how many people have no idea of what they are signing up for. I think there will alway be a need for insurance agents.

Still waiting for the independent appraiser to contact me so that they can have a look-see. I remember now about the rental issue. I did have the option years ago, but decided that for the $$ it would cost each year, it was worth foregoing and just paying out-of-pocket. So, my bad for being irritated about that. I have my old Chrysler van that I am now driving. Glad I hung on to it for the past year(its my "truck" for hauling junk). Kinda bummed today anyway, just drove my son to the AF recruiter's office and he is off to boot camp in San Antonio. I will miss him but it will be a good experience(I hope). I get to make a road trip in 2 months to attend his graduation (woohoo) and...I am OT and rambling. sorry. :unsure:

SW: +1 on the real estate biz: In 20+ years of residential real estate sales game, I've seen no shortage of fanciful attempts at doing away with the traditional real estate sales model, usually by those who don't have the learned knowledge of their market and who think they've invented a better mousetrap. Likewise, in the insurance world, there are those who may shop on price only, but when it comes down to actually needing service, they'll get what they paid for.

Paul

I disagree. I do business with a number of traditional agency owners and their business is up. I personally would never, ever buy insurance from a direct source without an agent, having that agent there to give you advice and help you through a claims process is just too valuable. In the end, when you compare apples to apples the savings isn't much.

Why would Allstate, a traditional agency centered company, have bought esurance if the agency model was dead? Wouldn't it have been the other way around? Direct internet sales is a niche market, very small % of the policies overall that are purchased. By the virtue of the internet...it looks bigger than it is.

Its just like my business, I'm in the real estate business and people are always saying some thing on the internet is going to come along and do us in, and it just doesn't work that way. Sure the internet changes how we do business, but it doesn't replace us. Same is true in the insurance industry.

Update: The insurance appraisal has come back at $7600. They told me to take the car to the shop of my choice and they would work with them to get it repaired. Alternatively, the insurance told me that I could take a "cash-out" on the deal and they would be done. The cash-out would be less 40% on labor. So, that would knock about $1000 off. I could walk away with a check for roughly $6500 and find a shop to do the repairs for less and pocket the difference. I have found a shop that may do it for less but would have to determine how that could be accomplished and would it be to my satisfaction.

Since most on this board already stand amazed at the low $7600, I am probably best served letting the shop deal directly with the insurance. Yes/no? Thoughts?

If you're not in a position where you need to find creative ways to make money, then consider it the cost of your peace of mind. let the insurance deal with the shop directly. And if there is further damage done, currently not viewable, you aren't left holding the bag.

Just my opinion! :)

Micah

The old saying in car, house, and boat restoration is "It always costs more and takes longer". The estimate on my LS was $5500. Then $8000. Then $10,500 after they found ( I had to tell them) that all three engine mounts were sheared off and the driveshaft needed aligning. Another $1000 for the car rental. And two further repairs in the following year to the AC which had been badly converted to 134r. The insurance company guaranteed the repairs at the shop they directed me to. Had they know all these things, the car would have been written off at $8000, and I would have preferred that, but once they started the repair there was no turning back.

Get a good shop started and be ready to jack them up. You'll get the best repair that way - on their commitment. The car is worth it.

SRK

Update: The insurance appraisal has come back at $7600. They told me to take the car to the shop of my choice and they would work with them to get it repaired. Alternatively, the insurance told me that I could take a "cash-out" on the deal and they would be done. The cash-out would be less 40% on labor. So, that would knock about $1000 off. I could walk away with a check for roughly $6500 and find a shop to do the repairs for less and pocket the difference. I have found a shop that may do it for less but would have to determine how that could be accomplished and would it be to my satisfaction.

Since most on this board already stand amazed at the low $7600, I am probably best served letting the shop deal directly with the insurance. Yes/no? Thoughts?

No question, drop the car off at the body shop of your choice. Call your insurance company, tell them the car is at the shop. Have your shop call your insurance and schedule an appt for an adjuster to come look at the car. The shop will "deal" with your insurance company to work out a price. Most likely the shop will be asking for more money once they start on the job... Just let them deal with it. Just as long as you get the car back fixed correctly who cares!

By looking at the pictures, it doesn't appear that there's any internal damage. You'll need a new hood, front bumper, LH headlight, bulbs and harness, wheel liner, FL 1/4 panel, drivers door, LH passenger door (your shop will most likely locate salvaged parts and simply re-paint.. i doubt they'll go through the effort to weld new skins since there's a high quantity of used parts available), and they'll need to re-paint/blend FR 1/4 panel, hood, bumper, FL 1/4 panel, drivers door, LH passenger door, LR 1/4 panel. Using used parts i don't see why the job cannot be done for $8,000. I wouldn't be too worried about having them use new OEM parts. You'll never know the difference whether they use new or used parts. The main concern is whether or not they use aftermarket parts. Insist they do NOT take the aftermarket route. Aftermarket parts will never conform properly.

Thanks for all of the replies. Sage advice. The shop will re-skin both doors, new fender, hood, all with OEM parts (no salvage). The shop tells me that the door skins are actually bonded (glued) in place after a couple of tack welds. So, I guess I will drop it off at the shop and tell them to deal with it.

There is no way I would take the cash out option. It's a good chance when they tear the car down they may find additional damages. As I have said and everyone else is saying the adjusters and the shops work together. The shops tend to sometimes "inflate" their estimates to the insurance companies. The insurance companies almost always are lower than the actual repair cost...they just about always meet in the middle.

Just the other day I had a guy ticked off...he called me said he submitted the estimate from the shop (5,200) and just got a check for 4,400...he wanted to know what he was supposed to do with that. His deductible was only $100.00. I told him just take the check to the shop and call me if there were any problems and I would also call the adjuster to check into it for him. Long story short...the insurance company had already contacted the shop and they agreed on the price (no difference at all on work done) anyway the adjuster had left a detailed voicemail on my clients phone but they had never checked the voicemail.

Point is 99% of the time the shop gives some and the insurance company gives some...it is rare to have situations unless someone is WAY out of line.