1994 Steering Acting Up!

hey guys, i have a 1994 lexus ls400... with only 90k miles on it and earlier in the year (like around christmas) i noticed the power steering was a little looser than it usually is and since then its been getting looser and looser, now its just not as fun to drive anymore cuz it doesnt feel like i have as much control of the car.... the power steering fluid is fine and im really clueless as to what the problem could be, but anyway any help would be great!

its not a big problem, it still drives and functions flawlessly beside the steering issue, otherwise i love it. :D

thanks! -rob

1 of 2 things either the camber is off from hitting somehting and the tires need to be realigned. Or the assist valve is getting stuck and needs to be cleaned on the side of the power steering pump.Try disconnecting the harness to the pump .It will work still but i can't remember if the cuicit is normally open of closed for boost.

Althought it is possible that the ball joints or tie rods could be back, I really doubt it. I suspect the stuck valve on the steering pressure system. Lexus uses variable steering reponse which makes it very easy at slow speeds and much stiffer at high speeds.

Suspension points that have been know to fail are what Lexus calls the struts which are actually tosion bar looking things. I know these cause a loose feel as mine were bad at 120K. Replacing these really tightens up the steering. Another weak area is the upper control arms to which the upper ball joints are intergrated. They are magnesium wishbones and last about 125-150K

Of course always rule out tires problems first.

haha yeah but skperformance was talking about the steering wondering n all up there.... unless mayb im confused more than usual..... but thanks for the help denny everything u said made like perfect sense to me...

hmm not to change subjects or anything, but im kinda curious about supercharging a ls400.... do u know what available out there like that?

NO iwasn;t thinking in line at all about wandering from loose joints ,that is what jpi thought as a good suggestion. I was more along the lines of reading it as it has very little resistance in turning the wheel ,meaning the assist is being over assisted at all times to turn the wheel.