Rx350 60K Mile "major Service"

I was told that we needed the 60K mile MAJOR service for $1150

which they went over a LONG list of things

when my wife dropped it off they told her it was "just a tuneup"

and laughed when she said $1150 for a tune up?

Will a third party tune up void my Warranty?

• 3 weeks later...

The answer to your question is, no, it will not.

With that said, I think you should be reading your owner's manual and following it directly. My car, which shares your engine, only requires a normal service, plus some filters and brake fluid change at 60K. Your plugs do not need changed until 120K. You are about to get ripped off.

Follow your owner’s manual, change the filters yourself if you can and buy the other services separately if you can - just my two cents.

Call other Lexus dealers if you want other opinions. Tom Wood Lexus in Indy is fantastic (Shanan or Dawn specifically...)

• Like 1

• 2 years later...

My recent Lexus dealer service for the 60k mile service was $511.00. Because the oil was just changed by another dealer, I didn't pay for that as part of the 60k service. But, I did add a four wheel alignment because I just had new tires installed on all four wheels.

Just had 60K svc on wife's RX350. Can't remember the exact amount, but I think it was between $300 - $500. There is no "tune-up;" nothing to tune. See the major svc items in the owner's manual.

When I was a kid and worked on cars, a tune-up included carburetor adjustment, replacement of points and condenser in the distributor, setting timing, and cleaning or replacement of spark plugs. On modern automobiles, the carb is replaced by fuel injection, and all functions are controlled by the engine control computer (ECM). Plugs last for extended periods, and typically do not need to be replaced at low mileage.

The service requirements for virtually all cars at the specified intervals includes oil and filter changes, maybe tire rotation and alignment checks, and not much else. The major services may include brake fluid and coolant changes, and in some cases, replacement of the serpentine belt.

So whenever I hear about a "tune-up," I wonder what it is that the shop is trying to sell people. I think $1150 for a service is Ferrari territory. I'd check with another dealer.

60k service, you got to be kidding, oil change and check this or that....go to Toyota express lube and pay less than 50 bucks. By the way new tires don't require an alignment unless you had un-even wear on old tires, just my two cents. My Old RX300 had one alignment over 186k miles and tires never wore uneven. Had to have alignment because of curb hitting....

As a new Lexus brand owner that just purchased an RX 350 with 61,310 miles on the clock, it was in my best interest to make sure that my only vehicle was thoroughly checked out by competent people. That is why my local Lexus dealership was asked to do the work that complies with the Lexus maintenance schedule recommendations. The vehicle's tires were down to the wear bars so I definitely needed new tires. I bought the Michelin Latitude Tour HP V101's. The alloy wheels did show signs of curb-striking on them so I got the four wheel alignment. I was glad that I did after seeing the original numbers before the alignment was done. So, a $119.00 procedure to help prevent $1,275 worth of premature tire wear didn't seem like an unreasonable thing to do. I agree with your advice of having my local Toyota dealer doing the routine oil changes for half the price of the Lexus dealership.

• 8 months later...

I have a 2012 RX350 and asked the same question. The dealer said that if I was able to prove with reciepts that the maintenance work was done it would protect the warranty. Since I don't trust the dealers or garages (and they are unnessarily expensive) I have always done the work myself. I use Moble 1 and change every 15k, use the best fram filter, and clean my engine injectors with Seafoam once a year. The plugs are good for 100k with no problem. I keep all my reciepts. Since the Lexas 350 cars (RX/ES) have the best reliability rating in the world - I will take my chances with me doing the work. Also the transmission is a life time sealed unit with no dipstick. I will change with the correct transmission fluid at 100k to ensure a health transmission as there are fill and drain plugs in the case.

The plugs are good for 120k miles minimum, as for the Transmission the lifetime thing is garbage, lifetime till it fails. By the way do not suggest the Fram filters. You can get either WIX or Toyota filters which are generally good filters.

• 7 years later...

I have a 2020 Lexus RX350.  Maintenance schedule says at 60K miles: 

• Replace Spark Plugs (Required Under Terms Of Emission Control Warranty.)

So, is the Denso FK20HBR8 iridium plug that this engine calls for a 60K mile plug or a 120K mile plug?  We are being told to replace this plug at 60K due to emissions?  I wouldn't care so much if this wasn't such a labor-intensive job (plus added expense of gaskets).

i have owned a 2015 RX350 for seven years. It was a service loaner with 10K on it and now has 89000 miles . I have been thinking about upgrading to a new or newer car...maybe Lexus....but with car pricing so crazy now and my car running so well i am thinking about keeping it for another 2-3 years. My wife and I are elderly so we dont drive so much anymore...less than 10K a year.  Because i was planning on trading up i havent done some maintenance items i normally would have like radiator flush, brake fluid and tranny fluid replacement and new spark plugs.  This car runs like the day i bought it and while i have always maintained the other 11 Lexuses i have owned, I NEVER had the work done by a Lexus dealer. Im just wondering if i should invest the money into the items i am thinking about getting done. I have the oil changed every 5k miles with full synthetic. Even my brake pads have never worn down to where they need to be replaced! I am a little worried about having heard comments in the past that flushing a radiator and replacing the transmission fluid can generate leaks that werent there before. Not being a mechanic i dont know how best to proceed. Any thoughts from experienced Lexus owners would be appreciated.