Where To Get A Harmonic Balancer?

david1walker

Apparently the harmonic balancer has gone bad in my '95 LS (according to the shop). They checked all the engine and trans mounts and all appear in great shape; however, I get the (as discussed several times in this forum) whole car vibration between 1500-2500 rpms while accelerating. Sometimes very minor, and other times worse.

Other than buying one from the dealer, or one pulled from a used LS.....does anybody have any good suggestions as to the best place to get a new (or almost new) one? I don't know enough about these to know if it truly matters if you go OEM or not.

Any thoughts or experiences?

Thanks!

Never heard of HB going bad on these cars. Sounds suspicious, more like a guess by the mechanic.

I am sure a junk yard would have them, same V8 that is on many Toyota trucks. A new one from Sewell Lexus is also an option...

$208 at Sewell

13407 1340750020

CRANKSHAFT DAMPER SUB-ASSEMBLY 1 In Stock $341.08 $283.66 $208.06 oem_atc.gif

The trans and motor mounts in a 95 are definitely suspect unless they have recently been replaced. Before replacing the harmonic balancer, recheck the transmission mount in particular. I am with curiousB on this one...really have not heard of the HB going bad, although it could. The big question is when the tranny and engine mounts were last replaced. They ARE notorious for going bad and causing vibration issues.