Questions About Upgrading Stereo

backwoods lex

Hey guys. I've done some research but am still not 100% about some things regarding a stereo upgrade. The vehicle is a 2007 ES350 with navigation but is not the Levinson system.

1. Any idea of the RMS and peak watts the factory head unit puts out? I can't find this info anywhere.

2. For replacing the door speakers, can I purchase a speaker with the tweeter attached to the woofer? Or do I have to buy a unit that has them separate since there are tweeters in the dash and put them there?

3. Are the front door and rear door speakers the same type (meaning tweeter attached or detached)?

I don't think it will be that difficult to install once I get the right equipment. Thanks!

Hey backwoods,

If I remember correctly, that amp puts out 150 watts. The attached link shows you the speaker size, and depth. The depth is what will determine whether you can put in a co-ax speaker.

Places like Cruthfield is one source for finding speakers. However, there are problems when people start trying to changing parts around . Lexus uses a system of balanced crossover network and these types of balanced units run to the head unit.

Placehttp://metraonline.com/vfg

Nice. Thanks for that Paul. Yeah- I know crutchfield offers specific speakers for my model that should fit with included brackets. But some come as 2 way speakers and some as components (the woofers and tweeters are separate pieces). I gather that if the door speakers don't have tweeters then I am going to have to mount them in the dash area. I'd also imagine that if there aren't tweeters in the factory door speaker and I buy a 2 way speaker, I'd have to do some wiring to make that work (not a good idea for me lol).

I've seen quite a few other owners upgrade their cars from other sites with reported success.

This would add to your "shop hours" and maybe some "a little help from my friend", but what would really make your ideas work at their absolute best, would be installing an equalizer. This one component would allow you to control the dash twetters seperatly, the mid-range in the doors seperately, and a woofer placed at you will.

Their is always a matter of cost, but this config could be wired so that it could be wired for addition of components latter on.

Thanks again Paul. Good stuff here. But I think the equalizer might be too much for me. I'm still trying to figure out how half the gadgets work on my car.

Eventually I'll do a full speaker replacement for the vehicle as well as a dynamat for much of it. I'll be sure to post pics and start a new thread when those days come along.