Car Salespeople- Under Cover

pj8708

Great and fun "tell all" from a reporter with the famous Edmund's Auto publishers. The reporters assingment was to work under cover at more than one type of dealership to find out what really goes on between car sales people and that elusive manager that you never meet but always has to approve the deal.

The paper is several pages long, but you'll learn a lot and a laugh.

http://www.edmunds.com/car-buying/confessions-of-a-car-salesman.html

Auto sales is a terrible industry. Its not really the salespeople's fault, its the way the whole profession is set up, the pressure, the low pay, the lack of any training...tough business.

Yes I agree, We have a local Honda dealership that has been excellent in the way they meet the customer. They dont do all of the fake passes and garbage. I have gone in there, made a offer and finished within 45 minutes the entire transaction. unfortunately they are the only one locally that treat customers that way except places like Carmax.

You wonder where these weasels come from that act the way they do in some dealerships. Has to start from the top.

It's like a feeding frenzy of sharks.....only the strong survive. And it's not just car dealers. When a company pays you only a comission when you make a sale, and no other benifits, the sales manager owns you. And when there is a group of you competing for every prospect that walks in the door, It's everyone for themselves and the manager can play you against the other to maintain pressure to make that sale.

It is a high anxiety way to make a living, but you can fall into a slipery slope of ethics when the bills at home are due and you've had a slow month.

On the other hand, my Lexus dealer is like going to your favorite aunts house. Their sincerely friendly. We sit and talk about what ever I want for how long as I want. We'll look over the inventory list and pick out what sounds interesting. The amazing part is that the Service dept is the same way.

Paul