Dissatisfied With Paint Toughness!

anasazi

I am not happy with the toughness of the paint on my Matador Red 2010 RX350. It seems that the clearcoat is extremely soft and very easily scratched. Admittedly my color is one that easily shows even the slightest marks but I still feel Lexus paint is much softer and much more easily marred than clearcoats on other vehicles I've owned.

I am generally able to remove most of the mark with "scratch remover" (really just very fine polishing compound) and I am very careful when I park or maneuver the car anywhere near anything that could touch the paint. Also, I've stopped using brush-type car washes and now use only non-contact automatic washes or wash myself.

Comments appreciated

You are correct the paint easily shows scratches. My black GX is the same. Had a white RX that was easy but still showed. I can see scratches swirl marks in the paint. If I spend some time I can get most out but the first car wash they are back.

Yes, clear coat on the RX is very delicate. If your car is a daily driver you must beware every time you touch the paint or drive the car you may leave marks. The first thing to do, you've already done. Avoid touching car washes. No let me take that back. First adjust your expectations. If you want a clean car that looks great to 80% of the population, then using a touching car wash is the answer. On the other hand, to maintain the car in pristine condition you may need to purchase a relatively(?) inexpensive Poter-Cable dual action buffer with a set of Meguiar's microfiber, dual action pads and the accompanying two products, D300 correction compound and D301 finishing wax. Once a year thoroughly hand wash the car, clay the car, carefully buff the car with D300, then follow with D301 and then a quality sealant wax. The rest of the year routinely hand wash and maintain with a spray wax. Remove light dust with a quality spray detailer. Every so often buff with D301 and follow with a quality sealant wax.

This is just one, perhaps over simplified, method as there are many on the Internet that will help you maintain the car the way you want. Careful washing and good maintenance techniques will help. Using a touchless car wash is a good medium between hand washing and brush tunnel washes, just expect the car to not be as clean.

Good luck and enjoy your clean car.

Thanks to both respondents.

Given the challenges I have with my Matador Red vehicle, I can imagine black would be a real challenge!

Also thanks for the very complete recipe for maintaining the car in the condition I prefer. Still seems like way more work than should be required on a premium vehicle with what I had expected to be a premium paint job!

Previous vehicle was a 2007 RX, color tan. MUCH easier to maintain. Guess I've learned my lesson - it's silver or tan from now on!

I think Lexus changed their paint for the '10 year due to some environmental problem with the old type... The new paint is supposed to be more environmentally friendly. Whatever that means!

• 4 weeks later...

I am not happy with the toughness of the paint on my Matador Red 2010 RX350. It seems that the clearcoat is extremely soft and very easily scratched. Admittedly my color is one that easily shows even the slightest marks but I still feel Lexus paint is much softer and much more easily marred than clearcoats on other vehicles I've owned.

I am generally able to remove most of the mark with "scratch remover" (really just very fine polishing compound) and I am very careful when I park or maneuver the car anywhere near anything that could touch the paint. Also, I've stopped using brush-type car washes and now use only non-contact automatic washes or wash myself.

Comments appreciated

I totally agree with you..Lexus paint is soft..The front bumper of the RX cant take hiway debri of any kind..You look at it long enough and the paint begans to melt..I only do xway driving as second choice..handwash is all i have done or do myself....

• 2 months later...
  • 3 years later...

Never allow any mechanical item in a car wash to touch you cars finish. Brushes are obvious. The dragging cloths not so much but they could hold on the previous grime for other cars that will scratch your finish. Best advise: hand wash your car yourself using a quality car care detergent. Do not use regular soap or dishwasher or clothes detergent. They can harm your finish. Do not try to remove tar with a car wash product. You a tar remover designed for clear coats instead. Remove bird dripping immediately on discovery with water. The acid in the dropping can permanently damage the finish. Watch for trees when you park. They are great for shade but their sap may damage the finish if not removed quickly. Pine cones can also be nasty. Also avoid air blowers in car washes. Unless they have good filters they can 'sandblast' your finish. Good filters cost money. Just how often do you figure the business changes them? My best guess is only when they absolutely have to, or not as all as they leave them out.