A/c Causes Engine To Stop!

ThunderRiver

I live in Michigan, and I notice that now a day, whenever I turn on the A/C, the engine speed will fluctuate and I can even feel that the engine is vibrating.

Within about 5 seconds, it caused my car engine to stop!

Well, as somone here suggested before, it might be something to do with air compressor. Well, I called Lexus about it, and they told me the inspection fee for A/C will be $90, and what's worse is that they refuse to tell me how much it would possiblly cost for an A/C Compressor for my 1994 LS 400.

I then went on and start calling other places for A/C repair. One place informed me that they would only charge me $75 bucks for A/C inspection, and if the problem truly points of A/C Compressor, it will probably cost me about $400 to replace. Is that a good price? It doesn't guarantee that it is will be the original part from Lexus though.

Besides, if I go to 3rd party dealer, I would be stuck there until it is fixed. I don't really have a very convenient transportation for me to get rides while the car is being fixed. I think "maybe" Lexus will be kind enough to test drive one of their cars while the car is being fixed. Keep in mind that my 1994 one is out of warranty, so I doubt Lexus would let me test drive their car.

Anyway, which choice should I choose? Go to Lexus and fix the A/C or go to 3rd party that is willing to charge $400 to replace compressor? Also keep in mind that the pirce would probably go higher as I haven't sent my car to any inspections yet.

Lastly, what's a reasonable amount of price for A/C Compressor for 1994 LS 400? Does it matter if I get the original part?

If the a/c light isn;t flashing then the compressor isn;t locking up to cause it to stall.Besides it just releases the clutch when it is over boosting the refrigerant. It is more liekly to do with the wiring for the idle up cuircit on the compressor. I think there is a wire damaged causing the idle to increase for the load like the alternaotr also does. Try putting all the electronics on full power and see if it also stalls .If it does tehn it is to due with the throttle body which needs cleaning at the least .If not tehn the idle up cuircit works and it is more liekly a wire prob.

The idle up valve is a vacuum-mechanical switch on the power steering pump to prevent idle drop at full lock. The AC idle adaptation is done through the engine management system.

The vibration may very well be the AC compressor locking up internally. Do not run it any longer, because if it is the compressor it will make metal and contaminate the entire system. The shop that fixes it should waive the diagnostic fee if they get the repair job. Haggle with the dealer and the independant on this point. It should be a very simple diagnosis. The repair cost will be much more.

Good luck with it.

Your a/c compressor is locking up. Do you smell anything? Burning smell? Lexus dealership will charged you at least $1200 to replace the clutch and a/c compressor they are not cheap. I would find out what is the problem first before jumping into the conclusion of replacing your a/c compressor. I know a lot of the shop trying to make money. Is there a lexus independent repair shop around your area. Get the yellow book, I'm sure you will find one around your area. Don't let anyone touch your vehicle beside lexus independent shop or your local lexus dealership. I wouldn't go with an aftermarket a/c compressor, they are BAD! Good luck.

JPI

I have a similar problem with my 1993 LS400. If I turn off the A/C, the next time I stop, the engine will die as it idles so low it cannot keep from stalling. The car starts right back up. If I'm stopped and turn off the A/C I can see the RPM's slowly decrease then it dies.

I think there is some computer control that automatically increases the idle speed so the car doesn't die when you are at idle. The Lexus dealer told me my compressor was "locking up" when it stopped working. The light never flashed, in fact it still glows steady even though the compressor doesn't engage. I have a code something with an air mix sensor or something. I have yet to figure out what to do about it.

LOL. I finally went to Lexus for a $90 A/C check up. It turns out that they couldn't find a darn thing wrong inside my A/C

They said if A/C causes my car engine to stop, the problem would come from engine not A/C. They said A/C does causes abit noise from my engine, but other than that it is fine.

Since they couldn't find anything wrong with it, they didn't charge me anything. Instead, they washed my car for free :blink:

okay. I am not done yet.. here is the interseting part! Before I went for inspection, my A/C would cause my engine speed to fluctuate and often end up engine stalling. Now, after the inspection, the problem is gone although the engine still has a bit noise, but no more engine speed fluctuation nor engine stall. Isn't that amazing?

I live in Michigan, and I notice that now a day, whenever I turn on the A/C, the engine speed will fluctuate and I can even feel that the engine is vibrating.

Within about 5 seconds, it caused my car engine to stop!

Well, as somone here suggested before, it might be something to do with air compressor. Well, I called Lexus about it, and they told me the inspection fee for A/C will be $90, and what's worse is that they refuse to tell me how much it would possiblly cost for an A/C Compressor for my 1994 LS 400.

I then went on and start calling other places for A/C repair. One place informed me that they would only charge me $75 bucks for A/C inspection, and if the problem truly points of A/C Compressor, it will probably cost me about $400 to replace. Is that a good price? It doesn't guarantee that it is will be the original part from Lexus though.

Besides, if I go to 3rd party dealer, I would be stuck there until it is fixed. I don't really have a very convenient transportation for me to get rides while the car is being fixed. I think "maybe" Lexus will be kind enough to test drive one of their cars while the car is being fixed. Keep in mind that my 1994 one is out of warranty, so I doubt Lexus would let me test drive their car.

Anyway, which choice should I choose? Go to Lexus and fix the A/C or go to 3rd party that is willing to charge $400 to replace compressor? Also keep in mind that the pirce would probably go higher as I haven't sent my car to any inspections yet.

Lastly, what's a reasonable amount of price for A/C Compressor for 1994 LS 400? Does it matter if I get the original part?

$400?? incredibly cheap. Sounds like a phone quote, I doubt you will get out that cheap.

A compressor on your car at the dealer is close to $2000, aftermarket shops will probably offer you the same warranty, 12 months, 12k miles. But are they familiar with your car model. Always nice to have an experienced technician working on your car.