Replacement Key Scam

neumannu47

The plastic on my wife's 2000 RX300 key broke. The blade will not stay in the plastic. The blade is fine. The FOB is fine. Everything is fine except the plastic that holds the blade broke with use.

Replacement blades and plastics are available on eBay, but so far, everyone says the blade has to be recut. One automotive locksmith quoted me $89, and another quoted $40. The Lexus dealership will not sell me a blank key.

If I had a blank key, I could remove the tiny screw that holds the blade in the plastic, move my blade to the new plastic, and move the electronics module to the new plastic shell. Why should I have to recut the blade?

This whole process seems like a scam to me. Maybe there is something I don't understand. I understand that the key is cut on both sides, I understand that there is a chip. All of the pieces are good except for the plastic.

Does anyone know where I can get just the plastic?

What you need is a new Key case. These cases break all the time. The part # for your key case is 89072-48380. This is the plastic house and metal key blade. the key blade WILL have to be recut as the old one cannot be used. I charge $72 for a brand new CUT key case and its really like having a brand new key. I charge $25 to cut a new key for those who purchase one on ebay or whatever. Let me know if theres any way i can help you.

Mattie

Why cannot I not buy just the plastic case? The blade is held in the case with a single screw. That screw can be removed, and the blade can be moved to a new case. Why is no one doing that? If I buy a Lexus key case, it's $58 from Sewell plus $10 for shipping.

Please send me your contact information. No one around here will cut a key bought on eBay. I'll be glad to pass your name and address to others, so long as your return shipping charges are reasonable. These things can be shipped for $1.50 by First Class Mail.

You're right 100%. You absolutely "can" dig the blade out of the shell, and glue it into a new shell. I've done it!

You can buy a new shell (with a blank attached) from eBay or wherever. When you get it, dremel away at the plastic holding the blade in place, pull the blade out, and swap with yours. Add a little superglue, and you're set.

I know this from experience.

• 1 year later...

Hi,

I am new to this forum...just purchased a 2000 RX300 ...it only came with one key and not the one with the remote. What would be the cost of buying a cut remote key for the vehicle. Once I get the title from the state, I can provide the vin.

• 3 weeks later...

This business of thinking the blade is only held in by that small screw is where you are going wrong. That screw only holds on the back cover. The blade and other plastic part are factory joined which is very hard to duplicate. Buy a blank on EBay and find a key cutter guy off craigslist. Should be under $10 for the blank, and $25 to $30 for the cut.