2013 Es 300H

palermo22

Just wondering if anyone has purchased this or at least has driven it -- if so, what do you think?

I originally was looking at the Audi A6 but I don't need that much performance - I'd rather have my money go towards luxury/quality inside the car as opposed to inside the hood.

• 2 weeks later...

For me, I was involved in two potential highway mishaps that would for sure have resulted in death or at the very least very serious injuries. In both cases, the extra power to get you out of the trouble in a split second decision kept us out of harm's way. I didn't even try the H... but I read the reviews. Even though the reviews are excellent, it is is a 2.5 litre engine which, coupled with the electric motor, gives you a total of 200 horses. At highway speeds, the extra 68 horses of the 350 make a big difference.

If you take one for a spin, my advice is to take it on the highway and see for yourself. If you're comfortable with it, than the 300H is a winner for sure and well worth the small price premium, there's no doubt about that.

HTH. Good luck with your purchase.

In both cases, the extra power to get you out of the trouble in a split second decision kept us out of harm's way. I didn't even try the H... but I read the reviews. Even though the reviews are excellent, it is is a 2.5 litre engine which, coupled with the electric motor, gives you a total of 200 horses. At highway speeds, the extra 68 horses of the 350 make a big difference.

As someone who had a much less powerful hybrid, and who has driven the 300h I can tell you thats not an issue. The 300h may have less power, but the CVT and low end available torque of the electric motors give you instant power on demand...passing power is not a problem.

I see. Well, that's good to hear and perhaps I should have given the 300 a second glance.

That being said, I don't regret my purchase, as I feel more secure with the V6. Besides, most car reviews I've read claim that the 300, while adequately competent off the line, is not nearly as capable as the 350 in the passing lane.

But again, that's a matter of opinion. So the best thing to do it to take one for a spin on a stretch of highway and kick it down at 60 MPH. When I do that in my 350, I have plenty of pull and have to release the gas pedal PDQ to avoid the flashing lights closing in on me.

And one last point - I like the dual exhaus pipes! Without them, the Lexus then has even less chrome! :cries:

Cheers!

Just finalized purchase of the 300H - with Luxury Package and a few other goodies thrown in - Silver with gray interior. MSRP was $46,162 - but I got it for far less. I'll give my impressions of the car once I take it home.

That being said, I don't regret my purchase, as I feel more secure with the V6. Besides, most car reviews I've read claim that the 300, while adequately competent off the line, is not nearly as capable as the 350 in the passing lane.

Its not going to be as powerful in passing as the 350, but its certainly powerful enough to be safe was my point.

But again, that's a matter of opinion. So the best thing to do it to take one for a spin on a stretch of highway and kick it down at 60 MPH. When I do that in my 350, I have plenty of pull and have to release the gas pedal PDQ to avoid the flashing lights closing in on me.

Thats the thing, it doesn't "kick down". It has a CVT, it doesn't have any gears, the drive ratio is constantly adjusted to the acceleration load, etc so you always have the optimal gearing to make best use of the hybrid system's power.

If you haven't driven one, you should if only for the experience. I personally would go with the 350 as well, I personally don't care for the hybrid driving experience, I don't like the CVT and the transitions between gas and electric power, and I don't like the bamboo trim inside. You should try one out though.

Do a little bit of reading in the detail forum on here, as well as at autopia.org. For protecting the paint you essentially have two options, a carnuaba wax or a polymer sealant. Carnuaba waxes generally have better looks, while sealants last longer. Nothing wrong with using a wax, a lot of companies that make paint sealants try and cast waxes as "archaic", but in reality they aren't.

Your Lexus was waxed already when the dealer did their PDI.

Do a little bit of reading in the detail forum on here, as well as at autopia.org. For protecting the paint you essentially have two options, a carnuaba wax or a polymer sealant. Carnuaba waxes generally have better looks, while sealants last longer. Nothing wrong with using a wax, a lot of companies that make paint sealants try and cast waxes as "archaic", but in reality they aren't.

Your Lexus was waxed already when the dealer did their PDI.

Great - thanks for the info (we haven't seen it yet - it will be at the dealer in a few days). So if it has been waxed - then maybe just applying a sealant is all I need to do.

A sealant would actually be something you would want to apply underneath a wax. Sealants bond to the paint surface, so they need bare paint underneath them...

From a protection standpoint you really don't need to do anything, but you may want to for appearance sake. I always like to clay a new car to remove any rail dust or bonded contaminants from shipping...

A sealant would actually be something you would want to apply underneath a wax. Sealants bond to the paint surface, so they need bare paint underneath them...

From a protection standpoint you really don't need to do anything, but you may want to for appearance sake. I always like to clay a new car to remove any rail dust or bonded contaminants from shipping...

Could you briefly explain what "to clay a new car" means?

• 3 weeks later...

Just a quick take on hybrid systems, had 09 Camry Hybrid with CVT of course, traded car in after 55k,never had any issues with CVT other than could never get used to drone/noise of engine during hard acceleration, power itself was never an issue,also this car was only rated 187hp; also to me, a lexus HAS to have duel exhaust; however you get to have a spoiler, I can't because of the panoramic sun roof; As always, life is full of compromises!

Vador