2013 Es350 Premium Or Ultra

sdloeffler

Greetings, I've been looking at the new 2013 ES350 and must say it's a big step up from my 2007 ES350 UL in the looks and driving category. Handles much better, ride is smoother, and the interior is heads and shoulders above. My 2007 is a UL, but I'm honestly weighing the merits of the Ultra versus the step right below. The panoramic roof isn't really a big deal. I think I've open the rear shade maybe 6 or 7 times in five years. I think I also miss out on a heated steering wheel (no big deal as I live in Georgia) and a drivers seat extension... though I'm 6' 4" so I don't know if it would benefit me. The next issue is the "Perforated semi-aniline leather trimmed interior" in the UL versus the "Perforated leather trimmed interior" in the Premium. Anyone know what the difference is and why the semi-aniline leather may be better? The next thing is the interior ambient lighting, but I'm not sure exactly what that refers to - anyone?

And then there is the biggest one, which I don't think is as big as it used to be... it's the Mark Levinson system versus the standard premium stereo. Now, I know in my '07 I could tell a huge difference in the two, but I have to say, I sat in the premium version on the showroom floor, doors closed, and stereo blaring, and the premium stereo didn't sound too bad. Could I tell a difference? Yes, a little, more so from the placement of the speakers, and having fewer speakers. I was missing sound in places I was used to hearing it in my current car. Anyway, I'm just looking for input... what started this? Well, I was just leaning towards a new UL when my sales lady emailed me today to tell me they can't put a spoiler on the back of a UL. Seems it has something to do with the XM antenna they have on the deck lid of the UL. Drilling the holes for the spoiler would interfere with the wiring and placement of the antenna. I do like the spoiler look. It really adds to the car. So, UL with no spoiler, or Premium with spoiler.

Thanks for letting me rant... I would appreciate any thoughts you folks have on the matter.

Either way, let me say, if you're a current ES owner. You need to go look and drive this car. it's worth it. You may leave lighter in the wallet, but it's worth it.

Regards

I went to the dealership today and test-drove the 2013 ES350. It was a "Premium car", i.e., with Luxury Package E (per the "build your own Lexus" website). The car seems to hug the road better than my 2010. Played with the Drive Mode Select (Normal, Eco, and Sport). The Sport setting definitely gave the car more power during acceleration although I am not sure how often I will actually switch out of Normal mode to either of the other two modes. I liked the Blind Spot Monitor System where a light inside the side mirror turns on when another car is within the blind spot area of the car. I also like the way the dashboard looks compared to the 2010's. The mouse-like controller for the Remote Touch System next to the gearstick may take a while to get used to. On the 2010's Nav screen, all you have to do is to take a quick glance of the screen to determine where you should touch and then you simply touch it. In contrast, this mouse-like controller requires you to move the cursor across the screen which means you will need more than a single glance to see where the cursor is going as your finger manipulates the mouse-like controller. I am not sure if it is safer than the old way. As I said, I am sure it will take a while to get used to it.

According to the sales guy, apparently you cannot just mix and match the exterior and interior colors however you like. You 'can', but it will require you to special-order it and you have to wait for 120 days for them to put it together and have it delivered. So, the Nebula Gray Pearl exterior does not come with the parchment (tan) interior. It only comes with the black interior. So he says.... I almost decided on the Starfire Pearl (basically pearlescent white) but ended up picking the Satin Cashmere Metallic with Parchment (tan) interior which has to be delivered from New York. Will have to wait about a week. I think I will be happier with the 2013 than my current 2010.

The Nebula Grey never comes with parchment. The interior/exterior colors are keyed together so that they blend...grey and tan...not a combination you see very often. Same with silver and tan. You can get Nebula Grey with black or grey. Same with silver.

What kind of deal did you wind up getting? I have a guy a Lindsay working some numbers for me now. I'd be interested to know what kind of discount you were able to get and what kind of lease they worked up for you. They worked one up in Rockville for me on the first car they got but it was going to be like $150 a month more than my 2010...needless to say I passed.

I am not very good at the number game. I think they got me on this one, but I relented. It is a 3-year, 10000-mile a year lease, with a downpayment of $3755, and $514 a month. Thats for the premium package (E). They used the same downpayment I paid for my 2010. However, my 2010's lease was for 12000-mile a year. Somehow in their mumbo-jumbo and sleight-of-hand this time, I wasn't paying attention and they were basing the quote off of a 10000-mile a year lease. :-( I have already put down a deposit of $1000 to wait for the Satin Cashmere Metallic exterior with Parchment interior. So there is no changing the terms, I guess. I must admit after I browsed the Internet more last night, I am not so sure I want the Satin Cashmere/Parchment color combo. I saw some pics with the two-tone gray interior (http://www.parkplacetexas.com/web/new/Lexus-ES-350-2013-Grapevine-TX/4582355/) and it looks really neat. However, the two-tone gray interior does not come with the Satin Cashmere. It does come with the Cerulean Blue and it does look nice, but my current 2010 is already the Cerulean Blue and I thought I should go for a different color this time. Shrug. Decisions, decisions! Do you think they will let me change my mind to a different color even if the Satin Cashmere is already on its way from NY to their showroom? I am not pulling out from leasing with them, just vacillating about which color combo I really want.

Have you already signed everything? I would think there is still time to change the terms since you haven't taken delivery.

I would be sure you're getting what you want.

Is the 10k miles enough for you?

I only signed the "Buyers Order" form. 10K miles is a bit tight. My current 2010 3-year lease ends early January 2013 and right now I am at over 28K on the odometer and there are still 3 more months to go before the end of the 3-year period. If I drive the new 2013 the same way I do my current 2010, I will have only 1500 miles left before exceeding the mileage limit. So yeah, it will be tight.

The reason I am vacillating on the parchment is mainly the tan carpet on the floor and bottom sides of the cabin. It is exactly the same ugly material I have in my 2010. See picture below. The rest of the interior is nice, but the cheap looking carpet which extends all the way up the sides of the middle gear box bothers me. Having it in black will hide it.

The reason I am vacillating on the parchment is mainly the tan carpet on the floor and bottom sides of the cabin. It is exactly the same ugly material I have in my 2010. See picture below. The rest of the interior is nice, but the cheap looking carpet which extends all the way up the sides of the middle gear box bothers me. Choosing the black or gray interior will hide it. (The gray interior is the 2-tone combo which I am now gravitating to.)

post-57792-0-50711900-1347669084_thumb.j

post-57792-0-17279800-1347669297_thumb.j

• 2 weeks later...

Greetings, I've been looking at the new 2013 ES350 and must say it's a big step up from my 2007 ES350 UL in the looks and driving category. Handles much better, ride is smoother, and the interior is heads and shoulders above. My 2007 is a UL, but I'm honestly weighing the merits of the Ultra versus the step right below. The panoramic roof isn't really a big deal. I think I've open the rear shade maybe 6 or 7 times in five years. I think I also miss out on a heated steering wheel (no big deal as I live in Georgia) and a drivers seat extension... though I'm 6' 4" so I don't know if it would benefit me. The next issue is the "Perforated semi-aniline leather trimmed interior" in the UL versus the "Perforated leather trimmed interior" in the Premium. Anyone know what the difference is and why the semi-aniline leather may be better? The next thing is the interior ambient lighting, but I'm not sure exactly what that refers to - anyone?

And then there is the biggest one, which I don't think is as big as it used to be... it's the Mark Levinson system versus the standard premium stereo. Now, I know in my '07 I could tell a huge difference in the two, but I have to say, I sat in the premium version on the showroom floor, doors closed, and stereo blaring, and the premium stereo didn't sound too bad. Could I tell a difference? Yes, a little, more so from the placement of the speakers, and having fewer speakers. I was missing sound in places I was used to hearing it in my current car. Anyway, I'm just looking for input... what started this? Well, I was just leaning towards a new UL when my sales lady emailed me today to tell me they can't put a spoiler on the back of a UL. Seems it has something to do with the XM antenna they have on the deck lid of the UL. Drilling the holes for the spoiler would interfere with the wiring and placement of the antenna. I do like the spoiler look. It really adds to the car. So, UL with no spoiler, or Premium with spoiler.

Thanks for letting me rant... I would appreciate any thoughts you folks have on the matter.

Either way, let me say, if you're a current ES owner. You need to go look and drive this car. it's worth it. You may leave lighter in the wallet, but it's worth it.

Regards

About the leather, the semi-aniline is dyed right through; while the regular leather isn't. So for someone who intends to keep the car for the long run and expects a lot of activity on the back seat (children, pets, luggage, etc.), the aniline leather will age better, as any surface damage or scratches will show the same color right through; while scratches on regular leather will be a lot more evident. Is it a big deal ... your call.

As for the Mark Levinson system, it all depends on what music you like to hear. If you're playing MP3 rock/country music, they will sound better with the ML than the Lexus audio, but IMHO not enough to warrant the upgrade. But if you listen to a lot of classig music and intend to keep your subscription to XM, I think the ML upgrade is well worth it. Again, and that's only one guy's opinion, the Mark Levinson audio is the best I've ever heard. A philharmonic concert CD is like being right there in the concert hall... it's incredible. My two cents.

Good luck with your purchase.

Cheers!

• 2 weeks later...

My wife and I have just ordered the 2013 300h, Obsidian/Grey. Luxury Pkg, with ML.

When we first were researching the car (on internet) we loved the parchment interior. We have always loved dark exterior cars with light creamy interiors. However, when finally got to see the parchment in person... it looked yellow. Is it just me or does the website parchment interior look way better than the real thing to you too? Honestly, we were very disappointed and are considering cancelling our order. The grey interior looks good too, but we just feel like we are having to settle for something that we are not completely satisfied with.

I noticed on another post that Canada calls the interior Ivory. Does anyone know if that is the same yellow color as Parchment here in the states?

My wife and I have just ordered the 2013 300h, Obsidian/Grey. Luxury Pkg, with ML.

When we first were researching the car (on internet) we loved the parchment interior. We have always loved dark exterior cars with light creamy interiors. However, when finally got to see the parchment in person... it looked yellow. Is it just me or does the website parchment interior look way better than the real thing to you too? Honestly, we were very disappointed and are considering cancelling our order. The grey interior looks good too, but we just feel like we are having to settle for something that we are not completely satisfied with.

I noticed on another post that Canada calls the interior Ivory. Does anyone know if that is the same yellow color as Parchment here in the states?

When we bought ours, the salesman told us that Ivory as it's called in Canada is the same as the former parchment color; and it sure doesn't look yellow to me. If you go on the Lexus web site and look at the interior colors, that's a pretty good rendition of what it looks like in real in my opinion. It's like a cream color, nothing yellowish there at all. But we all see things differently ... best thing to do is to go back to dealership and see for yourself. If it looked yellow at the dealership, perhaps the lighting had something to do with it.

Hey thanks for the reply Uncle Ben.

That's kinda what I was saying. The website looks like cream or ivory. Very similar to the car we currently drive. The car at the dealership was definitely more yellow looking. The lighting was natural daylight, no clouds in sky, mid day. And actually, we compared it to the 2012 ES... and it definitely was different from last years Parchment. Here is what the difference looked like to me.

Both are pics from website... but the yellowish one, I photoshop'd it to represent what the car looked like at the dealer.

Anyway, we thought it was strange that the factory color choosers would choose this for there "Parchment" color.

If we could get the "Ivory" type color, like on the website, we would be completely satisfied.

Edited: I removed the yellowish picture as it gave a misleading representation. Please see further down the thread for newer pictures.

Thanks

post-144415-0-11010900-1349478226_thumb.

That photo of the parchment has to be bad lighting! I just went on the Lexus site and looked at that gray that we got for our interior - it is fairly close: our car almost matches what I see online. I have no doubt that the parchment would be close to what you see on the Lexus site.

After going back and reading your post (which I hadn't previously) - I see that this photo was intentionally "yellowed" - I do think you over-did it a bit.

That photo of the parchment has to be bad lighting! I just went on the Lexus site and looked at that gray that we got for our interior - it is fairly close: our car almost matches what I see online. I have no doubt that the parchment would be close to what you see on the Lexus site.

After going back and reading your post (which I hadn't previously) - I see that this photo was intentionally "yellowed" - I do think you over-did it a bit.

Thanks for your comments. And yes, perhaps I did overdo the coloring (meant as approx. example). But it definitely did not look close to the brochure or website representation... not just to me, but also my wife saw the same. I am glad to hear that your parchment color was accurate. I will visit the dealer again and let you know how it goes. Perhaps I will take my camera... just for the fun of it. I will let you all know how it goes.

Thanks again guys(gals)!

Jon

Thanks for your comments. And yes, perhaps I did overdo the coloring (meant as approx. example). But it definitely did not look close to the brochure or website representation... not just to me, but also my wife saw the same. I am glad to hear that your parchment color was accurate. I will visit the dealer again and let you know how it goes. Perhaps I will take my camera... just for the fun of it. I will let you all know how it goes.

Thanks again guys(gals)!

Jon

But you know what, notwithstanding all of the above, it could also be that you guys were right. The leather dying process may have played havoc with this particular vehicle. I don't know how fussy the folks at Lexus plants are about these things, but I do know that the dying process can produce slightly diffirent shades of the same color; but as long as the same shade is used for the entire vehicle, it's will likely be given a pass.

OK... So yesterday was an overcast day and I decided to go check the car out again. You guys were right. The color looks fairly close to the website and brochure representation. It was a tad warmer toned but definitely not as yellow as I had originally viewed. I mentioned to the salesman about our original assessment of the color being yellowish. He said, "That's interesting that you brought that up, because others have also mentioned it." Evidently, on bright sunny days, something weird happens there. It might be something to do with the buildings around this place... who knows. Here is a better representation of what we saw yesterday...

On left is website picture. On right is representation of what we saw yesterday.

Cheers all!

post-144415-0-76744000-1350066899_thumb.

post-144415-0-73719400-1350066916_thumb.

Greetings, since I started this thread I thought I would reply back and let you know what I ended up doing. I ended up going with the Ultra Luxury edition with the ML stereo. I've had the car for a week now and will post my initial thoughts on the automobile in another post for those who might be interested.

Regards,

Scott