2007 Gs Awd Winter Driving Vs Bmw 5 Series Xi

I am looking to buy a 2007 GS 350 AWD. I have had a LS 400 and own a GS430 in UK. How is the GS350 AWD in the snow as I get a lot of snow where I live in Canada. OK, I know that it is the tires that count mostly and with proper winter studded tires even a Toyota Corolla would get through.

Is it worth driving a GS in the winter with all that salt in the road? Or is the BMW, 5 series AWD a better drive?

When I test drove the new GS(2011) last year, the rear space was terrible. It was so cramped that I had a hard time getting in there unlike the 430 which has ample space. I am looking for a AWD since I do not want to own a summer only car.

Your comments and constructive advice is most welcome.

Thank you

Good question, and a lot of people have put in their two-cents between AWD vs X-Drive

Tire selection is an excellent starting point, and I believe the new LS460s are being offered in AWD and Long-wheel based AWD as options. That would be my first choice if price isn't a problem. The AWD GS should be the similar performance as the X-drive BMW (minus the locking differential), but I prefer Quattro and symmetric AWD (Subi) over x-drive. Audi's Quattro is better engineered and proven to handle climate and terrain-based issues. The question you should be asking is how much snow you'll be tackling every year?

If you're getting heavy lake-effect snow every year like we see in Buffalo and other parts of NYS I'd stick with the SUV (RX/GX or LX) or 4Runners. The 4WD systems are generally better suited for extreme low temperatures, since the viscous-fluids based hydraulics on board can freeze causing the AWD to stop functioning properly. 4WD with locking differentials can also freeze but Toyota offers extreme temperate fluids for both AWD and 4WD, that should be serviced (flushed) every 2-5 years. The owners manual should tell you more about the recommended intervals.

To me the LS460 AWD would be the preferred over the 5 Series based on your ample space problem.

Thank you UCF3. Ideally, yes the LS460 should be the car but I am a bit puzzled by the difference they have here in Canada and the ones they have in Europe. I went to the dealership in New Brunswick, Canada and they seem not have heard of the soft closing doors on the 460. Furthermore, the level of noise that filters inside is not acceptable for such a car. That kind of turned me off the 460 in Canada.

I had owned the LS 400, and all the series of the BMW before I moved to Canada but never needed the awd where I lived before.

The 430 I own in UK has ample space but the new 350 they have here is cramped. Maybe the older models may have better space? I get a lot of snow where I live. Close the 160 cm to 170cm some winters. The temprature could go down to minus 36C and the average would be about minus 18C.

I have a SUV that has 4x4 that I chose when things get really bad and have to get out but did not feel that I could buy and keep a car in the garage for just 6 months of the year.

I guess I would have to go and look for an older model( maybe 2007 or 2008) GS and check it out for the rear seating space.

Hi Magic:

It's definitely worth looking into the older ones, but I have my doubts you'll be happy with the 06-11 GS. Although i haven't sat in the new bodystyle (2012) yet, a friend and I were comparing his 02 GS430 with my 06 GS300. My trunk is bit smaller (doesn't have the extra space towards the backseat), and my backseat is more upright (his was more slanted).

As for the noise-level in the cabin, it doesn't surprise me. the US and perhaps the Canadian markets are more geared to safety so they may have purposely removed some insulation to off-set safety modifications. You could try a US-spec car to see if it's noisier than the Canada-spec.

I hope this information is useful. Let us what you end-up with finally. :cheers:

The 02 430 is a beauty I think. It has a lot more power with the V8 4.3 engine. I know that I love my 430 in the UK. Maybe I should look at 2005 GS AWD then? I like the look of the GS a lot more than the LS as it looks sleek.

yes I am hoping that I can inspect a US car later this month as I hope to visit US.

I am determined to get one but I still do not know if it is going to be a GS or a LS.

• 2 weeks later...

I think I am going to be thrown out here. LOL. I have decided not to go for the GS as I found the rear seats were not comfortable enough so now it's a choice between a LS430 2005 or a BMW 750LI 2006.

Has anyone got any experience of both cars or either one of them? If so would love to hear their opinion.

• 3 weeks later...

If I had the choice of not using the car in the winter at all then I would also chose the LS. But I have budget restrictions too and hence I may have to go for the GS 300 AWD.

It is a difficult choice and I do not want to be disappointed after buying a GS 300.

What do the current owners of the GS 300 think about their cars?

• 4 weeks later...

Thanks I will look at all the cars now including the 2006 A8 as it has AWD. The 750 seems to have reliability issues I see here. I would not mind a LS430 but the 2006 is LS460 and it is way off my price range while the 2006 750 and the 2008 GS seems to be in it along with a few 2006 A8.

If the LS460 was in the same price range I would have gone for it now.

I am planning to buy it next month and would post pics here if I buy a Lexus.