Steering Wheel Tilt Problems -1996 Ls400

Phil M.M.

I am having problems getting my streeing wheel tilt to work- it telescopes fine but when i push up or down on the tilt button i hear a "click" but get very lillte or no movement - also having problems getting drivers seat memoey to work (seat-mirrors-seat belt -wheel- should all re position and they wont move)

any advise is appreciated-thanks

I've heard about people having problems with the tilt before. Usually though the complaint is grinding sound. i know that somewhere on LOC there are specific threads dedicated to this rather common issue. Somewhere on my 3TB backup drive I have the information on the grinding noise problem but nothing on the "clicK." I've kind of always thought a click sound meant a breaker of some type.

Of course combined with your memory loss on the seats I almost have to suspect an electrical problem, specifically, not enough. For whatever reason, these LS cars need a LOT of juice so if your battery isn't an Optima Red Top, you might have it checked. Usually free (in the car) tests at most auto parts stores. I'd start with the free check before I looked further. Of course IF your battery is weak, it won't be exactly free.

Good luck

If you hear a click and nothing more when trying to tilt the wheel, it could be an electical issue. However, put your ear down close to where the adjuster knob is, if you hear the tilt motor running, the link in this thread could help:

http://us.lexusownersclub.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=73170

I had a somewhat similar issue. My tilt would stop. But I didn't get the "click" sound you mentioned. In fact, I didn't get any click at all. My wheel tilt design does not have the spinning gear mentioned in previous posts. If I would push the memory button on the side of the door, the steering wheel would go to its "driving" location. The wheel would always return to the "resting" location once I removed the key. I simply disconnected the motors after setting the wheel into a position that suited me. There are two connectors, one for each electric motor. The memory seat position and mirror position still function as designed (thankfully).

While I would like to replace both the motors, the cost is quite pricey, and thus not on my priority list--especially when the steering wheel remains in a comfortable position. I have read posts where people were trying to drive the LS with the steering wheel in the resting position, which would be like driving a large bus...

If you hear a click and nothing more when trying to tilt the wheel, it could be an electical issue. However, put your ear down close to where the adjuster knob is, if you hear the tilt motor running, the link in this thread could help:

http://us.lexusowner...showtopic=73170

Thanks for the link azhotls-i will give it a listen and go from there

Cheers,Phil

I had a somewhat similar issue. My tilt would stop. But I didn't get the "click" sound you mentioned. In fact, I didn't get any click at all. My wheel tilt design does not have the spinning gear mentioned in previous posts. If I would push the memory button on the side of the door, the steering wheel would go to its "driving" location. The wheel would always return to the "resting" location once I removed the key. I simply disconnected the motors after setting the wheel into a position that suited me. There are two connectors, one for each electric motor. The memory seat position and mirror position still function as designed (thankfully).

While I would like to replace both the motors, the cost is quite pricey, and thus not on my priority list--especially when the steering wheel remains in a comfortable position. I have read posts where people were trying to drive the LS with the steering wheel in the resting position, which would be like driving a large bus...

Thanks micah.berry

this sounds like a good-cost effective comprimise to an expensive fix-Cleers ,

Phil