Questions About Changing Transmission Fluid

backwoods lex

Hey guys. I'm a firm believer of changing the ATF regardless of it being called a lifetime fluid. I recently bought an 07 ES350 with around 75K miles and would like to do this via a drain and fill method (I'd probably screw it up if I tried to pull a cooler line).

1. Is it more or less than 1 quart when you drain the pan on this model? I realize it will be a ton of drain and fills to complete this, but I figured I'd just do a couple of quarts every weekend until I get most of the fluid changed out.

2. Is it really required to get the temp up to 104? I figure if I leave the replacement quart with the vehicle, they will both be the same temp and should be no harm no foul. But I did read a post about heat cycling in another RX forum and don't want to cause any damage.

3. Would I be able to use a gas siphon or something else to pull more fluid out of the drain area? I haven't pulled the fender plastic to view the area yet.

4. What size tubing do I need to connect to my funnel that's used to add fluid?

Thanks guys! I did a search and got some answers but was still left with these.

Please take the car to the dealer and have the transmission fluid changed. The method is very specific small changes in fluid level on temp set cars have drastic results.Go get you 10% coupon and get it done correctly or you'll have a 4k bill for trying to save a buck. Dealer tech, highly trained, I have seen this before ... Not good .

Look online at some dealer web sites under Service Specials and you can usually see what they have to offer in the way of discounts or coupons.

It might be worth a call to a Toyota dealership and see what they charge for the fluid change.

Please take the car to the dealer and have the transmission fluid changed. The method is very specific small changes in fluid level on temp set cars have drastic results.Go get you 10% coupon and get it done correctly or you'll have a 4k bill for trying to save a buck. Dealer tech, highly trained, I have seen this before ... Not good .

Really? I know many of the toyota products now claim lifetime, but that is purely a sales gimick. Somebody has to have the procedure.....

Yes- that's one of the threads I viewed when I was looking initially. I think completing the full flush myself would be too much for me and could result in trouble (which is why I was looking at a drain and fill). It was SO easy on my 2000. Wish that were the case here.

• 3 weeks later...