Nokian Winter Tires

Hey everyone,

I am in the market for some winter tires and i've been hearing a lot about the Nokian Hakkapeliitta R. I have had their WR-G2's but im looking for something with a little bit better winter performance since moving to Wisconsin.

The Hakka R seems to get pretty stellar reviews online, and i guess they are pretty reasonably priced in the size i need. I understand that Blizzaks and X-Ice's are cheaper but they are terrible - i've had them in the past and i have only got 1-2 seasons max out of them.

Anyway, i was just wondering if anyone had an experience with driving on the Nokians? Wasn't sure how they would hold up in really bad winter driving conditions.

This is somewhat time-sensative because the "ChristmasJuly" coupon they have right now expires at the end of August and id like to take advantage of the $40 off per set and free shipping on all Nokians.

Thanks!

I've used winter tires my entire (long) adult life and have never had any last more than between 20,000 and 25,000 miles - plenty of tread left for dry pavement at those mileages but not enough for deep snow. The previous snow tires on my LS were Blizzak WS50 - wonderful traction and low noise and I squeezed five winters out of them. The Blizzak WS70's that replaced the WS50's have gone through two winters if you count the last "winter" where we had only a few inches of snow - they are even better than the WS50's which I loved.

Just about any winter with the mountain/snowflake logo on the sidewalls would likely serve you well. Nokian's are rare where I live but Michelin X-Ice and Bridgestone Blizzaks are readily available at discount prices at Costco stores which often substantially undercut the prices of online sellers like Tire Rack.

I'm living in Sweden, have a GS300 -00. Nokian winter tyres are outstanding compared to any other winter tyres. It is the rubber mixture and the very tiny ribs on Nokian that provides the superior grip.

/Rager