Rpms And Speed

lexmaxx

Hi guys,

I'm not sure what my 98 SC300 RPMs should be at speeds of 60 and 70, miles per hour. I have the 4 speed automatic transmission. I went to the dealer and they told me the transmission was in good shape but the RPMs look and sound to high for the speed the car is traveling. The RPMs are 2300 at 60 mph and 2800 at 70 mph. Can these numbers be right for the cars overdrive gear. The dealer told me that D on the shift indecaker is the overdrive gear for the 98 SC300.

What do you guys think about this?

Thanks,

Dave

• 1 month later...
  • 3 years later...
On 8/28/2012 at 9:53 PM, lexmaxx said:

Hi guys,

I'm not sure what my 98 SC300 RPMs should be at speeds of 60 and 70, miles per hour. I have the 4 speed automatic transmission. I went to the dealer and they told me the transmission was in good shape but the RPMs look and sound to high for the speed the car is traveling. The RPMs are 2300 at 60 mph and 2800 at 70 mph. Can these numbers be right for the cars overdrive gear. The dealer told me that D on the shift indecaker is the overdrive gear for the 98 SC300.

What do you guys think about this?

Thanks,

Dave

Good I found the question already asked, mine is a 93 SC400 and the RPM is 2.1 or 2.2 at 60 MPH, and since I also have a 94 LS400 I was in doubt that this reading is correct or normal.

The more we have replies in here the more we can make sure that it's just normal, appreciate your help guys.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

The data for my 1992 SC300 shows the differential to be 4.273:1, the O/D .705:1, making the final drive ratio 3.012:1

With my 26.6" (275-35/19) rear tires, that's 26.3 mph per 1,000 rpm.

60 mph = 2,286 rpm.

70 mph = 2,667.

Mine has an "OD" + "D" lamps on the dash