96 Es300 V6 Smoking

mnm

Just purchased a used Lexus ES300 with 1MZ-FE 3.0l 24 valve 6 banger. 83k

miles. When I test drove the vehicle, (First thing in the morning-I was there when the business opened) I did not see any smoke from the exhaust but the next morning when I started the car the grayish oily smelling smoke rolled out. It gets better after the car runs awhile until it darn near is non-existent. The engine runs strong and smooth. Not sure how well this car was maintained ( it was a leased vehicle). I'm thinking that maybe it could be valve seals or (*gasp* ) rings, but I'm told by a friend that it could also be sludge build-up. Any help you could provide is greatly appreciated.

sounds like oil gelling. search on engine sludge or gelling to read all about it. It is a common problem in the 1MZ-FE V6.

Did you get the maint. records for the car from the previous owner? You may be able to get the engine replaced if you can prove that oil changes were performed. Get ready to have a sit down with your service manager.

If not, there are other options. Contact LOC member JPI. His shop has de-sludged many an engine and he will be able to better advise you.

steviej

Gelling is only common on the 1mz-fe engine from 97 and up as it got a new head design which also increased the heat for emmisions. It is not a problem on pre 97 cars unless it is a major lack of maintance. It does need to be checked though.

• 4 weeks later...
Can't beat a deal like that!! :D I wonder what it would have cost if one had to pay for it? :unsure: & is it a major job?

:cheers:

It's about $1500 job at your local lexus dealership.

JPI

When I test drove the vehicle, the MIL (p00135 DTC. - sensor 1 bank 1 oxygen sensor heater malfunction)came on at the end of my ride and part of the deal for me to buy the car was that they would correct the problem. . The dealer took it to his service guy who changed the sensor and the next day is when I got smoke and the MIL again. So I called him and he said to bring it back over. This same guy diagnosed oil seals were bad and causing the sensor to foul. This guy did not want to do the seals so the dealer found a local Toyota guy to do it(thank goodness). While he was doing this , I invested in a repair manual and found out that the 1st guy had changed the wrong oxygen sensor. So to make a long story a little bit shorter, the dealer repaired the seals thinking that would fix the MIL. Of course it didn't and I was just happy to get my car back after 2 weeks that I bought the sensor and installed myself yesterday and so far no more problems.