! Need Some Help From The Experts !

New to the game

I have never owned a Lexus, and I am on somewhat of a tight budget, so a friend of mine has helped me to look very closely at a LS400 or LS430

So, I have found a couple of LS400s with less than 100,000 miles around $10K out the door. That being said, that leaves me with about $4000 dollars left over to "upgrade" the car in order to have some more modern technology and whatever else that would be nice to add or upgrade to the vehicle.

Also, I have found a few LS430s between $19K and $24K. Some of the 430s have all kinds of upgrades and has perfect service records with relatively low mileage (70k) those are the ones around $24K. The ones around $19K are around 100K miles and have just the basic standard equipment (no nav/Bluetooth/backup camera).

So I am debating on what to do, what is the best package for the money. I don't want to be upside down at the end of the day, but I do want the most I can get out owning a Lexus.

Thus, I have opened this feed to hear as much advise as possible ranging from interior/exterior/under the hood/and whatever you think is good information. I'm all ears!

My disclaimer is that I am not an expert, however that does not stop me from rendering an opinion. ;-) Having owned a 98 LS400 and now an 02 LS430, I would go with the 430. Lots of standard "toys" and a ride that is amazing. The LS400 was very nice but the 430 is "wow". Having said that, I tend to like the chiseled good looks of the LS400 over the LS430 but I am more for function than fashion at the moment.

You can find some very nice 430's for under $15k. The later years 04-06 will cost more but if you find a pampered 01-03, that would be my preference. Remember that at the mileage you are considering (right around the 90k mile mark) you will be needing a rather expensive timing belt/water pump service if not already done.

... I am on somewhat of a tight budget...

Well tread carefully here. These are great cars and very reliable. They do need repairs from time to time and if you are dependant on the dealer, repairs aren't cheap. So if a water pump, timing belt, or alternator repair will break the bank, look elsewhere.

I've owned my '04 LS430 since it was new. My repairs are very modest (I'm now at 122k miles). A timing belt and water pump at 90k miles, new rear axle sensor (AFS light problem), 2 brakes jobs, one pads only, one pad and new rotors. A couple of new parking sonar sensors (still doesn't work right, argggg). A new O2 sensor (wasn't really needed in the end and a patch weld of the Y-Pipe on exhaust system. On my 3rd set of tires. On rear backup camera (was on warranty). I'm on my second NAV map DVD.

Right now my biggest complaint is the cup holder won't stay retracted. I guess life is pretty good. I plan to keep the car several more years. Cost of ownership is low if you hang on to them for many years. This car owes me nothing at this point. Its all upside now.

I don't think you mentioned the model year of the LS430. So I went to Kelly Blue Book and assumed it was a 2002 with 70,000 miles, and in excellent condition, with full features.

For the second valuation, I assumed it to be in only good condition, and being negotiating with a private party.

1.2002 LS430 - 70,000k....Retail value in excellent condition: $24,181

2. 2002 LS430 70,000k Private Party in Good condition: $20,981

Paul

This guy is hunting for an EXPERT, and I guess I am the only one on board today.... you do know that X is always for the unknown Value,....... and SPERT is a drip under extreme pressure....... so...... what else NCM? here i am...................

smiles :geek:

Update, for all. I went with the LS430. I searched all over the central GA area and test drove 4 different LS430s and two different LS400s. I ended up with a 2006 LS430. 101K miles, had the 90K mile dealer sticker for the timing belt, water pump, and spark plugs done. It has 4 near brand new tires (8K miles) on them. The car came fully loaded and everything is still very tight. I'm super happy with the purchase, but I want to keep it as clean as possible. A couple of things I am thinking about doing:

1) Replace floor mats with the Weather Tech mat package: 2 front, 2 rear, and trunk (229.99 +tax/s/h)

2) Get Gen 4 2011/2012 DVD for US Maps (if the Nav has never been updated, will the 2011/2012 update encompass all, or do I have to get all the retro DVDs and upload them sequentially?)

3) Put in some tent (live in south, moving to San Antonio, trying to preserve the leather as best as possible)...advise on brand/shade? Darker in the back for the kids, but what is too much for the back/just right for the front, etc.?

Lastly, I want to change the oil and rotate tires, and change all air filters (engine/cabin/seats). I've been getting a couple of conflicting arguments on oil. Another owner told me that the Shell Rotella T6 5w30 is the best oil for the vehicle. Others have told me Castrol is the best. Any thoughts?

Thanks for the help, all.

Murray

Congrats on your new purchase, Murray.

1) Good idea to get the rubber mats to preserve the carpeting. However, living in San Antonio, you would not really need them. No snow, no slop.

2) I would think you can jump right to the latest disc.

3) What is "tent"? If you mean tint, then do a search on this forum. There are lots of threads dealing with tint.

As concerns the oil, that is a 'can of worms', with many, many opinions. Truth is, there are many very good oils out there. You almost can't go wrong with any brand as long as you change it on a regular (5k miles or less) basis. If you are really (really) interested in oil, peruse this site -> http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/

There is more info there than you could ever want.

Now, are you gonna keep from us the price you paid for your new ride? How about a pic or three?

Hey, um, yeah, I meant tint. Wow. Well, I must be dumb because I can't seem to figure out how to spell or upload photos. But here is the original posting on craigslist that lead me to the dealer that lead me to Atlanta and eventually into this beauty. 10 days, 35 cars, hours and hours of research and reading from people like you all... and as my friend says, "welcome to the club of smart car buying."

http://atlanta.craigslist.org/atl/ctd/3140115347.html

I walked away at 19,100 + TTL, 20500 total. Not a deal to hang your hat on, but "pretty good" enough. My wife loves it and now I don't have to worry about her in our previous car that was starting to fall apart. It has dealer records from the day it was originally purchased to when I bought it. Every scheduled maintenance on the money.

Thanks all, I'll be in touch with another update as I get to know this car a bit better.

Miles

You did well on the price on an '06. It sounds like the car was well maintained if the timing belt/water pump was already done.

To upload pics, you need to select the "More Reply Options" button on the lower right of the browser window. Then, under the Attach files section, click the "choose file" button. Browse to the file you want, then click "upload" and you have it. Finally, just "post" the message. Not hard once you know how.

With your "new" Lex, you will come to be spoiled and never again be able to own anything else. Just fair warning. ^_^

Hey, I was thinking about buying that car earlier this month. Glad it went to an enthusiast. I ended up with an 06 GS3 with a 100k on the ODO myself.

For the oil, I would suggest doing a bit of research. Take the car to the local Lexus dealer and ask them to run the VIN. Check out the repair history report; sometimes they mention Mobil 1 or Castro but verify whether they used synthetic or non-synthetic. I know a lot of the dealer in my area are using synthetic Mobil1 or Pennzoil synthetic. This is important because if you go back and forth you'll end-up wearing a seal or two within the engine. Unfortunately, I made that mistake 10 years ago and my SC3 is still suffering :(. Also, from a mechanics point of view, you may want to switch to a 10w30. it's a bit thicker and more suited for high-mileage vehicle like ours. The name brands including Quaker State are excellent in lubing your engine parts, but the key is buy quality oil filters. The Toyota brand ones are excellent, and i've found Bosch and Mobil1 filters are really good. I've stuck with the Toyota and Bosch filters on my SC300 (260k) and IS-F (40k) The 90k is a very important service and i am glad to hear they've replaced the water pump, timing belt, etc. they are important.

You should have clean sailing from this point.

As for the NAV DVD update, i updated the disc on my IS-F earlier this year thinking it would solve many inaccuracies using the NAV system. No luck. I've had better luck using my Droid phone; more precise. I'm not sure if anyone else has experienced the same issue with their Nav.

The tint is definitely a good thing to have especially where you're headed. San Antonio is hot and the leather will crack without proper care and heat management. I was talking to my tint-guy earlier this year and he's carrying the new 3M tint that's clear but prevents 90% heat reflection. the tint is expensive but is going to be well worth it in the long-run.

As usual please feel free to ask us any questions. That's what we're here for... to support our fellow enthusiasts.

You can upload pictures of the LS to the picture gallery but i think there is a restriction set on when you can. Please reply and add more comments to this board and the restrictions will come-off.

Congrats.

Hey, I was thinking about buying that car earlier this month. Glad it went to an enthusiast. I ended up with an 06 GS3 with a 100k on the ODO myself.

For the oil, I would suggest doing a bit of research. Take the car to the local Lexus dealer and ask them to run the VIN. Check out the repair history report; sometimes they mention Mobil 1 or Castro but verify whether they used synthetic or non-synthetic. I know a lot of the dealer in my area are using synthetic Mobil1 or Pennzoil synthetic. This is important because if you go back and forth you'll end-up wearing a seal or two within the engine. Unfortunately, I made that mistake 10 years ago and my SC3 is still suffering :(. Also, from a mechanics point of view, you may want to switch to a 10w30. it's a bit thicker and more suited for high-mileage vehicle like ours. The name brands including Quaker State are excellent in lubing your engine parts, but the key is buy quality oil filters. The Toyota brand ones are excellent, and i've found Bosch and Mobil1 filters are really good. I've stuck with the Toyota and Bosch filters on my SC300 (260k) and IS-F (40k) The 90k is a very important service and i am glad to hear they've replaced the water pump, timing belt, etc. they are important.

You should have clean sailing from this point.

As for the NAV DVD update, i updated the disc on my IS-F earlier this year thinking it would solve many inaccuracies using the NAV system. No luck. I've had better luck using my Droid phone; more precise. I'm not sure if anyone else has experienced the same issue with their Nav.

The tint is definitely a good thing to have especially where you're headed. San Antonio is hot and the leather will crack without proper care and heat management. I was talking to my tint-guy earlier this year and he's carrying the new 3M tint that's clear but prevents 90% heat reflection. the tint is expensive but is going to be well worth it in the long-run.

As usual please feel free to ask us any questions. That's what we're here for... to support our fellow enthusiasts.

You can upload pictures of the LS to the picture gallery but i think there is a restriction set on when you can. Please reply and add more comments to this board and the restrictions will come-off.

Congrats.

Thanks man