6 members have voted

1. 1. Have you viewed movie

• yes
    • no
  2. 2. Do you agree with the presentation of the movie

• yes
    • no
    • undecided
  3. 3. Does this movie help you make a decision for the electiion?

• yes
    • no
    • not sure

Had a long night...had to put down my dog. My kids are not taking it so well.Can't even think of a good comeback SW.

I'm really sorry to hear about your Dog buddy, thats so hard...especially with kids.

I believe all of those have to be on the table' date=' We need to think out of the box. Mediacare and Social Security have to be saved, but maybe in a way that government doesnt raid the systems, Spending does not have to increase. It should be froze for a few years...This would give the government some real thought processes on how to save. [/quote']

But like I said, look at the numbers. Romney is promising tax cuts, and a balanced budget...without cutting into Medicare or Social Security. Its impossible, hence he is peddling a fallacy. We cannot afford his tax cuts. At least Paul Ryan wasn't lying when he released his plan...it involved deep cuts to Medicare and Social Security, effectively ending it as we know it, driving costs up for seniors. Now all of a sudden he gets up on stage and says Obama is going to destroy social security, and he and Romney won't touch a penny?!?! What a joke.

s for Romneys plan, it is just an outline of his thoughts, remember ideas have to be hammered out in Congress.

He's running for President of the United States. He's out stumping for a budget plan that fundamentally is flawed. These are just "his thoughts?" Whatever happened to you saying we need someone with real plans who will make the hard choices? This clown has "thoughts" that I was able to determine were impossible to achieve just with a cursory examination of the budget data in 10 minutes!

Now Congress is going to be the ones who are going to have to hammer it out? Defy logic and mathematical fact? I thought they were the 535 "kings and queens" you derided in this very same post?

You don't make any sense...

• Replies 107
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Hey I still agree they collectively are the kings and queens, Some of them want to change the broken stuff, but the old guard still rules. Hey Obama hasnt offered anything more than any other politician to fix the problems, just more of its the rich dont share enough. I am so tired of hearing its not fair. Whats not fair? That some dont want to work, and others do....Lets create a economy that supports the work ethic.... Getting rid of the two heads of House and Senate would be a great start....They are old guard....They do as much to divide this country as Obama does. At least Ryan wants to sit down and pound out some solutions. From what I have heard people on the other side of the aisle find him at least straight forward, and willing to have some dialog. Much better than what Obama did to him with the budget committe

Thanks SW. Will get back to this discussion a little later. I am going to leave you and Lenore to solve the worlds problems for now.

I actually got worse news this morning which kind of made my dog seem insignificant. I got a call from my neighbor that their daughter in her mid 30's killed herself. She had two young kids just a little older than mine. They are over all of the time playing with my kids...I just can't get my head together. Here my kids are sad about loosing our dog...which I know is a big loss but these two little girls will never see there mom again. And my neighbor's now will be raising their grand-kids...I don't want to go into a lot of details...but I just don't think that I could ever understand what could drive a person to that point...and with two little ones like she had...My neighbor and his wife are great and I just can't even think of what to say...there aren't even words for things like this.

Oh man, Lex, this is just beyond a sad day for you and those around you. My heart goes to you and the family you're not only raising, but to your neighbor's family as well. They're lucky to have such good people around them like you and your family. They'll need it for quite some time going forward. All the blessings to you!

This really puts into perspective just how frivolous all of these debates and issues being beamed into our living rooms from the talking heads really are. At the end of the day, the world and the life that we all strive to enjoy, is that for which is sitting at our kitchen kitchen tables, no matter if that table is made from cardboard or granite. Both can only be as equally strong as those who are sitting around it.

Well, the RNC is now "in the can" as they say in the movie business. Personally, beyond the haze of stupidity that surrounds the approach of "we're Americans who need to take our country back", which is news to me that it was ever stolen from us :blink: , I liked what Romney had to say. He has a soft approach to the way he speaks, which I respond to. In business, their are two types of approaches: The bull in a china shop tactic of freaking out and causing undo panic to get things done, which usually results in a singular result (because those who gained the experience of getting those results, tend to not want to do them again under that type of approach), and then there is the cool calm and collected approach, which tends to build confidence and comfort in generating multiple results. That approach, attacts a good team. I like that, and try to mimic it myself the best I can (although, I'm still a work in progress... :ph34r: ). Clint Eastwood, god bless you sir. I'm not sure if I enjoyed your comments, or felt a little uncomfortable with the fact that one of my alltime favorites is really starting to show his age a bit. Felt a little sad actually, but did enjoy some of the humor.

Now, it's the DNC time. I just read an early release of some of the speakers on the list. Let us all make sure we take our Asprin beforehand. Don't need anyone stroking out here (I'll be doubling down myself)...

Nancy Pelosi - Only other woman I know that can make Sara Palin seem "honest". Love what her husband has done with the commercial real estate firm CBRE. I can tell you, something is sideways with that whole arrangement. I think he's getting sued over something in this regard actually, but not quite sure.

Harry Reid - All I've got to say is two things about this dude. "That's a Clown Question, bro'", and "Iraq is lost, we lost, we're worse than Vietnam, we're losers, surge won't work, we can't win, we lost...."

John Kerry - Um...you lost already. Hey, make sure you call your buddy John Edwards while your down in Charlotte! I understand he has a spare "love nest" in Charlotte that I'm sure you can borrow (assuming it's vacant, of course). I'd also take a pass on the free boat tours through town. You know, wouldn't want you getting any flashbacks or anything...

Rahm Emanuel - hold on folks, he's still stuck at the airport trying to get his Chicago Cub's luggage through the metal detector.. I'm sure he'll just "murder" his speech! Whatever you do folks, don't make any sudden moves, as his security detail is a bit, um, shall we say, trigger happy, given the great crime record of the past two years in ChiTcago. Doing a great job there, Mr. Mayor. Crip love' yo'!

Hmmm... who esle... Oh wait, I see one (SW is going to kill me for this) - Martin O'Malley, the Governor of Maryland. As a recently new arrival to the DC area, on the Virginia side, I'd like to personally thank Governor O'Malley for heading the charge with all of those new property taxes that are driving up my property value on the Virginia side, as folks flee across the Potomac to our side of town.. Ok Steve, let me have it amigo!

But....where's Bubba? You know Bubba gonna be there, if for the BBQ alone. But, what don't I see on the list.... Oh yeah, that other Clinton. You know, the one with an actual job that is producing actual results around the world, who probably has the biggest set of brass gahonnas in DC politics.... Guess Behrain is just too nice this time of year to pass up for the re-election of her pal... :lol:

Ok... I'm done.... Let me have it! :P

Oh... hold the phone folks... one more I see on the list as a representative of the model of society... The Mayor of..... Newark, NJ. That's right folks, the man, the myth, the legend, Mr. Cory Booker. Newark. Really? Newark New Jersey? Do you know how you earn a living in Newark NJ? You park your car in a public place and then wait for the insurance check to arrive in the mail...

As my wife told me last night as she was rolling her eyes at the TV screen "well, at least the Democrats have Clooney"... Just roll him out onto the stage and get it over with already! :rolleyes:

So sorry to hear about your neighbor's daughter too. Wow. When I was in High School I had a good friend who's mother killed herself, she put a bag over her head, went out back, and shot herself. Unbelievable.

This really puts into perspective just how frivolous all of these debates and issues being beamed into our living rooms from the talking headsreally are.

Absolutely...

Hey Obama hasnt offered anything more than any other politician to fix the problems' date=' just more of its the rich dont share enough.[/quote']

Offering fake solutions that have no basis in reality, like the Romney deficit plan doesn't solve our problems. You can look at the budget and see that Obama's plan is working, it makes logical sense. This country is WAY better off today than it was in 2009. Whether you agree with it or not, we finally have insurance reform, I think he's done a lot.

Hmmm... who esle... Oh wait' date=' I see one (SW is going to kill me for this) - Martin O'Malley, the Governor of Maryland. As a recently new arrival to the DC area, on the Virginia side, I'd like to personally thank Governor O'Malley for heading the charge with all of those new property taxes that are driving up my property value on the Virginia side, as folks flee across the Potomac to our side of town.. Ok Steve, let me have it amigo![/quote']

I think Martin O'Malley is an idiot. I've met him in person...still think he's an idiot.

But....where's Bubba? You know Bubba gonna be there, if for the BBQ alone. But, what don't I see on the list.... Oh yeah, that other Clinton. You know, the one with an actual job that is producing actual results around the world, who probably has the biggest set of brass gahonnas in DC politics.... Guess Behrain is just too nice this time of year to pass up for the re-election of her pal...

This is a pretty good point actually, at the RNC you didn't see any prior Presidents did you? Because neither of the two remaining can really be considered a political asset. They have to revere Ronald Reagan like a God...and he was President 30+ years ago. Did you hear Jeb Bush's speech? "My father and grandfather are such a inspiration to me, such role models...my brother...well...I love my brother". We had to rewind it to be sure he said it!

Say what you want about Clinton, he delivered a country in a great position for the future, and is still doing a lot to better it and the world, and his successor really f'ed it up. Hence why he can't come within 300 miles of any other member of his own party running for anything.

Aside from my issues with the religious right and their control over the GOP, thats another one of my issues...no track record for success.

Oh... hold the phone folks... one more I see on the list as a representative of the model of society... The Mayor of..... Newark, NJ. That's right folks, the man, the myth, the legend, Mr. Cory Booker. Newark. Really? Newark New Jersey?

Actually Cory Booker is really a pretty impressive guy. He's done a lot in Newark, he's a rising DEM star, honest guy, not afraid to say what he believes in even if it doesn't toe the party line (see his remarks on Meet the Press about the attacks on Romney and Bain Capital).

For some reason, SW, your text isn't coming through on my iPhone. It's like it's set to black, with the background also black. It's been that way since you're post on 10:52am on the previous entry. What's up? You...um... Gone Rouge on us?? Ha!

Seriously though, all I can see from the post above, is "talking heads" which is now in blue and a hyperlink to the band on Amazon.com.... Everything else - blacked out.

For some reason, SW, your text isn't coming through on my iPhone. It's like it's set to black, with the background also black. It's been that way since you're post on 10:52am on the previous entry. What's up? You...um... Gone Rouge on us?? Ha!

Seriously though, all I can see from the post above, is "talking heads" which is now in blue and a hyperlink to the band on Amazon.com.... Everything else - blacked out.

Yea mine too. Think he got scared NC, or maybe he just has admitted that he was wrong and Lenore is right! :) lol Seriously you can read the text if you quote him, and it shows a text color for some reason? I still can't get logged in at my office using IE but if I log in using the Chrome browser it is fine?

Also thanks for the support guys...have spent quite a bit of time next door lately. The little girls seem to be taking it well but that is just because I don't think it hit them yet.

Thats weird...looks normal to me!

On the computer, it appears normal. But on the iphone, it's all shaded out and can't see it. You can barely see the quoted text if you look hard enough, but your text, is blacked out..

$16,000,000,000,000 debt hit today... :snoooorrrtttt:

$15,600,000,000,000 GDP estimate for 2011.... :unsure:

Time to buy that snorkle... :huh:

buy gold, buy silver, buy bullets....Nc211....Oh dont forget toilet paper.....gee 16 trillion, boy am I proud of our government...Never dreamed they would be no better than drunken sailors. Too bad they cant put stuff in the pawn shop like sailers do....then they could spend more.

Oh Lenore, have a drink my friend, we shall all survive without civil unrest. ;-) last thing we need in this country is more bullets!

Oddly enough, I read an interesting article tonight on Fox News (can you imagine!) about just exactly who we owe this money to. We like to villianize China for this, but according to the article, over 2/3 of this debt is actually held internally to the country, from entitlements and munis to treasury buying. I guess I had forgotten that, or simply didn't realize it, but did find comfort in it. Internally, it's much easier to manage, albeit still going to be painful.

I saw some of the DNC tonight. While I like what they say in terms of social issues, and passion in thier love for the country, I still can't get myself past the facts on the table today. After 4 years, gas prices still spiked at the top, unemployment still spiked close to the top, municipalities going BK (with more to come), and so much government influence in nearly all aspects of life now, it's just too hard for me to accept more "hope" as a means to an end to this. The Bush tax cuts are going to be extended regardless of who wins this thing. Obama isn't going to start his second term, his legacy term, with a sledgehammer right out of the gate, especially when the economy is still so shaky and weak. Romney won't allow them to expire either, cause that's his platform in general. This issue is going to be kicked down the road again, no doubt in my mind.

I think the best zinger I've heard so far in all of this was from Clint Driftwood, with his comment about replacing leadership from a lawyers perspective to a businessman's perspective. Thought that was pretty funny (even if he didn't realize where was at the time...)

You know, Clint Eastwood is a great actor, director...If he he pulled that off at a democrat convention he would have been considered brilliant. The hypocracy of liberals that think they are more artistic, enlightened, and recognize the better things of life is amazing. Clint is a liberterian....His views hopefully resonate with the independents. Clint is also a Vet. I believe he understands life from all views.

I found that for his 80plus years the man has views that are consistant of the great generation. dont forget the toilet paper....might be a very high on the list commodity for trading...

I watched the convention yesterday, found it interesting....Michelle did a great job, I just wish I could believe her view of Obama caring for the future of America...Funny how a lot of family trips all over the world can change a woman view of America. I want to see what Clinton says tonight...That has to be a tough thing for him, as I believe the Clinton machine truely dislikes what this administration is doing...

Funny how a lot of family trips all over the world can change a woman view of America.

The things you say are unbelievable.

The Bush tax cuts are going to be extended regardless of who wins this thing. Obama isn't going to start his second term' date=' his legacy term, with a sledgehammer right out of the gate, especially when the economy is still so shaky and weak.[/quote']

I don't know that I agree. Obama's platform is to preserves them for people making less than $250k, but to let them expire for people in higher brackets, thats a central part of deficit reduction.

I watched a little of the convention, saw Michelle Obama's speech which was excellent.

On what Lenore said about wishing he could believe what she was saying about her husband...I think we would all be a lot better off if we could realize that at the end of the day, all these people are just that...people. We have a penchant for villifying people in positions of power, but I've met enough heads of corporations and politicians to realize that they are just people. They're born, they get married, they're successful in their lives. If they run businesses, they want their businesses to do well and they themselves want to do well. If they are politicians they want to advance, but they want whats best for their country too. Obama and Romney are just people, neither want to tear the country down they want to make the country strong...they just have different views of how to do that.

If we would keep ahold of that thread of civility then we'd all be a lot better off.

SW - It's definately when you're quoting in your replies that you're text is blacked out on the iphone. This one above, blacked out. The one prior to it with no quotes "That's wierd....looks normal to me..." is fine on the iphone. All is fine when viewing on a computer too (like i'm on now). Something is goofy with the quote responses.

On the other points of your response, amen brother, amen indeed!

I think if Obama wins in a landslide, the tax cuts will be allowed to expire. If it's a squeaker though and he wins, I bet he delays them and instead eases into the budget cuts at first. The $250k crowd are also the ones with the most disposable income to inject into the economic cycle as well, which has a more local and direct impact on the economy. He's got to see that. I don't think anyone doesn't expect a nailbiter this election, heck we might even have ourselves another 2000 situation! But, I say this about a guy who also has some pretty big gahonnas to make big and bold moves pretty quickly too.

...oh, there's Bubba! One hell of a speech he gave tonight. The Democratic party should just give him his own 747 with the tailsign "3B1" as in Big Badass Bubba One! Too bad he's not actually running for President though.

Yes, Clinton's speech was brilliant....He has the natural ability to come across the way a smooth talking southern boy can. His points hit dead on (Even though they werent all true) and his statement double down on trickle down was truely a slogan that the dems could take up. I always enjoy listening to him because his speeches arent teleprompter driven...I believe he could talk for an hour with no aids what so ever. His accomplishment of being a fiscal democrat however is what Obama is lacking...Kennedy was the only other one to achieve this. His points on spending before his presidency and after were also spot on, but not with explanation. Reagon ended the cold war thru strength. The Bushes unfortunately ate the wars, and 911. Clinton changes in repealing the Glass-Steagall Act may have contributed heavily to the housing crisis....It allowed fraud and corruption...Otherwise Clinton did do the system justice by actually compromising with both parties, something Obama has never done. Man why couldnt Hillary have won, we would probably been in better shape at this time. I think one of his strongest message was that he knows that making this country better requires negoiting and compromise, Something that both parties in congress now cant do. (very true statement) But the lack of leadership in facilitating this is from an empty chair.. Obama is not the man to solve this problem. We need somebody else. He is too driven by his radicals in the cabinet.

Clinton's speech was awesome, its like he took everything I was saying and laid out what is essentially my argument why Romney's not the right choice. Its like he said "How did we get 4 consecutive balanced budgets...arithmatic!" is exactly my point, Romney's plan will not balance our budget.

His accomplishment of being a fiscal democrat however is what Obama is lacking...Kennedy was the only other one to achieve this.
t

Little bit different situation. Remember Clinton essentially raised taxes and used the additional revenue to balance the budget. Bush comes in, cuts taxes for high wage earners, gets us in a couple of foreign wars and there's your deficit explosion. Had Obama taken control of the economy at a time where he could have rolled back those tax cuts a couple years ago...we may have a balanced budget again.

His points on spending before his presidency and after were also spot on, but not with explanation. Reagon ended the cold war thru strength. The Bushes unfortunately ate the wars, and 911.

So we can explain why we had heavy deficits under Reagan and the Bushes...but any explanation for why under Obama is a non-starter?

I think one of his strongest message was that he knows that making this country better requires negoiting and compromise, Something that both parties in congress now cant do. (very true statement)

Remember it was Mitch McConnell who said congressional Republicans' goal was to make Obama a one term President...he said that 3 years ago! Hard to compromise with people who absolutely refuse to work with you. Listen to what else Clinton had to say about congressional Republicans, their hatred for Obama, and the way their party has been taken over by the radical right wing.

The Republicans have been running this race since inauguration day. I find it hard not to place much of the blame for the lack of cooperation on them. Sure, they're happy to compromise...so long as the compromise gets them to their own position.

One thing I do think Clinton understands that Obama does not is that the private sector is not the enemy of the Government...it's its partner. Clinton had a way of remaining populist, but still being able to work with the private sector, give them a little, and make things happen. I think Obama came in, and public sentiment was so down towards the private sector and he ran with that a little too much.

Reagan didn't beat the Russians out of pure strength. He beat the Russians out of pure debt with making more nukes than Russia could make. Russia was the first to blink economically, and it was good timing, because we were about to do the same thing ourselves. While history has adorned Reagan as the Gold Standard, let us not forget that not all was rosie and happy for a lot of Americans during is 8 years. The poor got whacked pretty hard during the 80's, as did the farming community. I remember as a teenager in 87' leaving Oklahoma City for Miami when Oklahoma was nothing more than one vacant strip mall after another, the energy sector ended up in a nose dive. Bush Sr., basically lost to Clinton because he had no choice but to raise taxes to keep us afloat after the cold war ended. Now, we have an aging stockpile of nukes laying around that we don't need, and Russia's inventory ended up going to God only knows after they collapsed. Reagan, as a republican myself here, didn't walk on water.

Basically, as a student of the economy myself, Bill Clinton is probably the only man alive today with the clout and resume to back it up to speak on how to correct economic hardships. The fact that he handed Bush Jr. not only a balanced budget, but a surplus, after Clinton walked in the door in 92' right in the teeth of a CRE recession, gives Bubba, in my own opinion, center stage rights for as long as he wants it. I wish he were electable today, I'd vote for him in a heartbeat. Even with a bus full of Arkansas trailor queens lined up in the Rose Garden...

I'll admit, I'm waivering here now with my thoughts on this election. Clinton made a very good point last night - nobody is capable of turning around what happened in 2008 in just 48 months. Missteps by all happened, but that is yesterday's argument. I do think the longer the government is heavily wooven in the fabric of the private sector, the slower the recovery will take. But, if what Obama is pursuing is a conclusion similiar to what Clinton left us with, then I have to really think hard about this again.

For the record - I always thought it was just plain stupid of Bush Jr. to send me a $300 check in 2000 from that surplus. One of the dumbest moves I've ever seen, and I was pretty stupid myself back then (some say I still am..) Even I could figure out that $300 to me personally, wasn't worth the loss of the surplus to the country.

This is going to come down to regulations for me. I read an article on Bloomberg last week where Wall Street doesn't want to toss out all of Dodd/Frank, but to make it more user friendly. I like that idea, because I think it's a jagged knife for a process that requires a scaple. For instance: to regulate all banks the same way to control derivative traders, is too far reaching, especially when only a few banks earn their revenue in the derivatives market. Telling a community bank who earns revenue on loans to community participants that they have to play by the same rules that JP Morgan now has to play by, is going to crush the community banks across the country, period. Heck, my employer just bought on last week that has now pushed us over $100 billion in assets. We're now in the big boy leagues, yet we don't have a single penny earned or lost in the derivates and credit default swaps world. Yet, one of the reasons we bought that outfit was to blend and dilute ratios to get these crazy federal equations under control. I'd say there are probably 3,500 people about to lose their jobs because of this deal, simply because what that bank did to earn revenue, we're better at.

If Obama and the democrats would just ease-up on this stuff for a little while, this wouldn't be an issue for me at all, I'd stay the course. They've got to be willing to sit still for a couple of years, in my opinion, and let all of this change work it's way through the fabric of the country. I'm not hearing this though from them. I'm hearing "we need more regulation and government control of everything, and we need it today". That, is just a deal killer for me. Slow it down, way down...and we can all make this work well. Keep moving the goal post though, and eventually the kicker just says "screw it" and either leaves the field, or turns around and starts kicking towards the other goal post on the other side of the field.

Oh, and get the gas prices under control! Jeezzz man, how many times do I have to say it! The one and only universal number in the maze of numbers that drive an economy that every single person knows, understands, and budgets for in their discretionary spending habits.....is the one and only number lit up on nearly every friggin' street corner in every friggin' community in the country..... GAS PRICES! Can't get "movin' and shakin'" if you can't afford to cross the county line. Man, it's just so simple to see it too...

Dont forget Reagon stepped into a massive mess also...Interest rates were double digit, and Carter had failed miserably with foreign policy. Inflation as well as interest was terrible. I remember my first home loan at a whopping 10.4 per cent. But the policies demonstrated by Obama have done nothing but kill industry. And jobs are a reflection of that. Hey Clinton spoke well, but to bad Obama hasnt acted as he did. Our Congress may be the most decisive as you have said, but the first two years Obama had a clean shot, and he failed to come across the ailse, instead it was Pelosi and Reed hammering away their radical agenda. The Republicans for the first time decided to fight back, and Americans decided to give them a chance with the 2 year election...But Obama saw what America said, but failed to listen...instead he has allowed his troops to forge ahead with the fight, never stepping in to show some leadership with negoitiating and compromise. Hey when he invites you to the oval office and listens and then blows you off, what do you expect. Meanwhile the likes of Reed making pitch forks into the hay, just compounded the battle. Where was Obama reaching out? That is why we have a empty chair at the helm of the ship. no leadership, and expect four more like it if he is re-elected. He had no experience and it shows. Those Ivy league colleges filled his head full of elete, utopia ideas and I am afraid he is not what America needs. Boy I would take Bill Clinton anyday....But the choice is here and it wont be Obama.

As for the change what change (Obama Care) what has he accomplished that is going to make things better.? He has made industry sit on their hands, and not invest, his green jobs all went overseas..., His shovel ready was a joke., He has all but tried to kill the oil and coal industry...Sent our Oil industry to Brazilians, and elsewhere. And last but not least changed the vacation count to just how many can he take....while people are out of work, and food stamps has grown to a disturbing 49million people. Oh that is just great.