Warped Rotors?

My mom's 96 ES appears to have either warped rotors or a bad set of tires, but I'm leaning towards rotors b/c the ride is perfect-the vibration is only when you hit the brakes. Is this a common problem for the 96 ES's?

yeah, it happens. It is especially prone when the driver is the type to hit the brakes hard at the last few feet as opposed to the type of driver that gradually steps on the brake and progressively adds pressure over a much longer distance.

Another thing that happens very often is if the brakes heat up during braking and then are slashed with a large volume of water (large puddles). The sudden change in temperature of the metal will cause warping over time.

I had my brakes (pads and rotors) replaced at 24k miles due to a TSB. 12,000 miles into the new pads and rotors they were vibrating. The dealership resurfaced the exhisting rotors under warranty.

If the vibration is during braking the the rotors are most defineately suspect.

Get a few peeks and quotes from Lexus, Toyota and even Midas. See if there is enough thickness to the existing rotors to have them resurfaced.

If not, then replace them with OEM rotors. OEM rotors can be had for about $70 each on line.

good luck

steviej

We just had Pepboys resurface the rotors on our Suburban for $8 for the front 2 discs and $11 for the 2 rear drums. I'm very impressed with their work thus far! The brakes on the Suburban are huge(but it still takes forever to stop!), so the ES might be cheaper to have done.

:cheers:

Something else that I've noticed that I forgot to mention is that when I'm backing the car out after moving it forward or vice versa, I hear a sound that sounds like either a loose caliper or a disc with some play in it. I'm pretty sure that my 93 has done this too on occasion, and it sounds as if it's from the driver side. Common? Or somethin I should check on asap lol? Probably the second choice... :whistles:

if your disks had play in them, i would stop driving the car as the wheel keeps the rotors tight.

so if the rotor was loose your wheel would most likely be ready to fall off :lol:

there are 2 bolts that hold the caliper in place and are easy to get to if you take the wheel off. it might be worth it to just jack the car up and see if you see anything odd with it. you could be taking some real risks driving with it as is...

btw the statement about hot rotors coming in contact with water is correct. I had an issue with my calipers not relelasing when the brakes let up causing the pads to rub on the rotors constantly. they were getting so hot i couldnt touch the wheel. I hit a big puddle one morning on the way to work and they warped badly almost instantly. I have since fixed the stuck calipers and actually got the rotors turned and the pads replaced for free. I happened to get the lifetime warranty on the parts when i bought them.. :D

The noise you hear is common to all toyotas .It is the brake pads on the outside ( as the innner ones have a spring clip to hold in place) moving back and forth on the caliper mount. Sometime the little clips on them have a slight bit of play or are missing ( unlikely) nothing to worry about. I fhte clip is missing you would hear a realy awful squeal all the time as the pad would not be sitting straight.