Power Steering Pump Replacement Options

greenhills

My 1st post - wanted to share my experiences and seek knowledgeable advice. We've been the proud owners of a 96 Ls400 since June 2000. Its a black on black beauty and while showing her age a bit at 160k, I'm determined to keep her running till 2021 at least. For a 16 year old vehicle, it still rides better than most any other car I've ever been a passenger. I feel its an acheivement to maintain such a classic for many years.

The history began in June 2000 at 72K when I bought it from a specialty auto dealer in Miami - sight unseen except for the webpage photo. Price was $23,500 plus $500 shipping to Nashville. We got a car that had sold for well over 50 grand when new. I'm not sure what that translates into in 2012 depreciated fiat, but I diverge.

We visited the Lexus dealer for service till 105k. At that point, I developed a mutual trust with an independent mechanic who performed all routine maintenance. In 2009 and 144k, I had him replace the timing belt along with a water pump, hoses, plugs & wiring, front suspension parts, plus Arnott replacement struts. Add in new Yokohama Avids - about $4600 altogether and it ran like a dream - except for this odd vibration at highway speeds. Using the resources of this site, we were able to determine that new engine mounts plus a transmission mount were required. Then, nirvana!

So, my cost so far (going on 13 years) is about $30k - plus gas and oil changes. And its a good thing because I retired a couple years ago. Now my challenge is to overcome a leaking power steering system. I know the PS pump needs replacing and a Toyoda mechanic told me today he would only recommend installing a new OEM pump at $685 (= $745 with tax) plus about $225 labor. OK?

I've found OEM rebuilds online for about $185 - net of core. For the $500+ difference I would prefer instead to also add a new high pressure line plus maybe a rebuilt rack for $240. What do you think? Is anything other than a new OEM pump a bad idea? If it was an 8 year old vehicle, I'd be willing. But at 16+, I think taking a risk on an OEM rebuild makes more sense.

Thanks in advance for any replies.

If the rack is not leaking and working fine, why replace it? If the pump is leaking, just get a rebuilt OEM or better yet, just get your pump rebuilt and keep it all original.

And welcome to the forum!

The last time the power steering pump failed on my previous 92 LS, I wasn't too interested in paying ~$700 for a new OEM pump either. I purchased a remanufactured OEM pump for around $150 and paid an independent Lexus mechanic to install it (and bypass the trouble-prone speed-sensitive steering system with a oil drain plug bolt). If I remember correctly, the total cost was a little under $400 and everything was still working great when I sold the car two years and about 50,000 miles later.

You might also consider replacing the power steering air control valve. I've been told that this valve fails and leaks usually before the pump. Here is a link to this part at Sewell Lexus:

http://lexus.sewellparts.com/accessories-catalog/Service/LS400-1996/4415.html

By the way, you can get a decent discount at Sewell if you register there as a member of this club. For example, the price for a PS pump for members of this forum from Sewell is $534.11. parts.com is also very competitive.

I share your sentiment about wanting to keep the car a long time. I have a 99LS400 with about 155K and hope to keep it another several years. I test drove a new LS460 a few weeks ago and it's just not that much smoother, quieter or better than my 99, imo. My 99 rides like new, though, since I replaced nearly every suspension part on it with OEM close to 3 years ago. I also had the PS rack rebuilt at that time, which also improves handling. I've now had going on 3 years in which my only expenditures for the car have been routine maintenance.

Best of luck to you.