The Transmission Saga Continues...

Well, got some more news on my transmission. It's been at the shop from whence it was SUPPOSED to be repaired way back in January but hasn't managed to remain fixed for over a week since they first laid hands on it. We call in yesterday to check up on its status, and we're told that the owner of the shop has just walked out and quit the day before, and, as my luck would have it, my car is one of about a dozen in the garage torn all to hell-right in the middle of being rebuilt. So there's supposedly a new guy comin in to take the place over and he says he's gonna try his best to make this right for us, but we're pretty skeptical about it all now-especially the question of whether or not it'll be under any sort of warranty now or in the future, being that the shop that fixed it is pretty much gone under. :angry: I swear, this really is becoming the repair project from hell! I'm very very seriously considering selling the car whenever I get it back in good shape.

Try to remain positive...

Look at it this way - Your tranny was never fixed correctly by the old management, so it's not like your losing anything. A good new owner will be fair.

Man, you have really been in the shop a ton... I remember the original post way back.... :(

No way. They haven't fix your car yet? A word of advise. Take your lexus to an independent lexus shop or to The dealer. I've rebuilb a couple of these tranny and they are not fun. Good luck.

JPI

Well it'd be a cold day in hades that I'd take it to Lexus-they'd charge more than the car's worth, would be my guess. There is only one independent Toyota shop around here and if I remember correctly, we called them and they told us that they don't actually rebuild the transmissions themselves, so...I'm trying to remain optimistic, but you have to admit that it's a little ridiculous b/c this has been goin on since right after new year's! Basically though, I have no choice but to let them take one last stab at it b/c it's not like I can just go get it and drive it back home...

Glad you asked actually. See, the reason we took it where we did is b/c they had the best price-$1200 parts and labor. SEEMED like a good deal, but I guess you get what you pay for. Well, now the "new owner" is asking for another grand to fix it b/c apparently the money that we paid the other guy went towards something else (probably his drug habits). We're talking to our lawyer Monday. ;)

If you paid for the repair job with a credit card, then you may have some recourse. Credit card companies can do a "charge-back". Just before you do a charge back, make sure you get your car, parts, and tranny back.

This is ashame and gave some of the repair shop a bad. We don't screw people around here. I hope the plan you told gonna work out ...Free test drive lol. Private me on AOL and let me know bud. Why did you pay in cash? No tax? heehehe.

JPI

Well, we tried to strike up an offer today-$500 to fix it but he turned it down. Don't know what to do now-it's not worth payin a lawyer for only $1200 invested, but that's also too much to just suck up and walk away from...any suggestions anyone? :unsure:

If the ownership has changed but the name is still the same you might have a chance in small claims court but you will need receipts or some kind of paper trail. See if you can get a tech to say tehy worked on the car on tape and the ways thye tried to resolve it to prove it was worked on.

Well, technically the name has changed (he covered up the "Quality" on the sign-it now only says "Transmission") but as for legal changes in ownership, I have no clue. The only paper trail that exists is our original bill and it's in the car <_< But see, we don't really wanna get into the whole small claims court thing b/c it's gonna cost us more in the end than if we'd just walk away and suck up the loss (you gotta consider court costs, lawyer, detective work, etc. etc.) I really just have no clue what to do at this point... :unsure:

Alan is right. Small Claims is an inexpensive way to go. No lawyers, just a judge or arbitrator. If you win, the other party assumes your filing fee. It only costs you some time. And you may find that the new owner will fix it rather than try to defend himself. If he can't prove the job was done, he may be court ordered to finish the job right.

Lex, I have been to small claims. It is defineately worth a shot. It will also send the new shop a message that you mean business.

Don't give up.

steviej