Gas Pedal

CanadaCraig

Hi Guys!! :)

Lately - I've been noticing something that has me a bit puzzled. So far - every photo of an LS that I've seen [or at least - taken note of] the gas pedal is attached to the floor at the bottom. The gas pedal in MY car [a '93 LS] is NOT attached at the bottom. It just 'hangs' there - holding on for dear life to the medal rod behind the plastic pedal.

How is the gas pedal in your LS attached??

Craig!! :)

Hi Guys!! :)

Lately - I've been noticing something that has me a bit puzzled. So far - every photo of an LS that I've seen [or at least - taken note of] the gas pedal is attached to the floor at the bottom. The gas pedal in MY car [a '93 LS] is NOT attached at the bottom.  It just 'hangs' there - holding on for dear life to the medal rod behind the plastic pedal.

How is the gas pedal in your LS attached??

It looks like mine (94LS) is attached from the bottom.

Im000298a.sized.jpg

Perhaps you should check whether there are any fixtures on the floor. It is possible that someone changed your pedals, but don't know why <_<

I didn't notice that the pedals were attached to the floor until I bought the car. To me it reminds me of my school bus. But the key is that you don't feel that it is attached or not (unless you look down and observe it) at least to me.

To my knowledge all the ls400s have anchored gas pedals. Look under your pedal to see if there is a broken plastic bracket or something. I haven't ever heard of this type of thing, can you post a picture?

ALL LS' have anchored gas pedals.

Well..... obviously that's NOT true!!

But just for fun... when I was out and about - I drove to my local Lexus dealer to see if they had any LS's for sale. They had one. A year '2000' model. There was also a 1991 [or '92] LS waiting to be serviced. BOTH of those cars had unattached gas pedals - just like the gas pedal in my car. Maybe it's a Canadian thing - who knows!! Hmmm.....

• 2 weeks later...
Craig,

Have you ever driven a LS with an anchored gas pedal, if so; how would you compare them, if one better than the other one (specially when flooring it).

Hi 93LSOwner!! :)

No - I've never even seen an LS [in person] with an anchored gas pedal. An old 1962 Chrysler New Yorker that I once owned had an anchored pedal. There is a difference - as far as I remember. With anchored pedals - you use the toes of your feet more than you do with a 'free' pedal. [but not so you'd notice - probably - unless you made a conscious effort to think about it]

does your canadian ls with the shorter gas pedal have the kick down button behind it?

Hi migirdech!! :)

Yes - my car does have the kick-down button.

I remember reading somewhere that it's important to use that button as often as possible - so that's what I do!! j/k

What I really like about the anchored pedal is that it gives your right foot a solid/firm place to "rest" and it is less fatiguing since your foot is not having to "hover" it provides a more precise control feel.

My wife’s ’01 ES300 has the unattached pedal. I prefer the large anchored pedal in the LS. :whistles:

There is a difference - as far as I remember. With anchored pedals - you use the toes of your feet more than you do with a 'free' pedal. [but not so you'd notice - probably - unless you made a conscious effort to think about it]

I was just saying, because I put my foot in a way (the sole in the middle of the brake and gas pedal) that it takes a spilt second to hit the brakes; without picking the whole leg and shifting it to the brake. Also, when someone tries to pass me from the back and I'm not aware of it, (sometimes messing with the stereo) it takes a little long to move my leg up to floor it, every sec. counts at that moment.

I just checked my '92, and it has the "floating" gas pedal too. Not anchored at the bottom at all, and it has the kickdown switch (which got a workout today on the West Coast road.....)

What is the kick down switch??

Hi blake918!!

On the floor - behind the gas pedal - is a 'button' or 'switch'. When you push the gas pedal firmly to the floor - that 'button' is pushed in causing the transmission to downshift ['kick down'] to the lowest possible gear.