Help! Car Won't Turn Off....

I have a 2006 Lexus IS 250....

I can turn the engine off, but for some reason, the radio, navigation, and display screen STAYS ON! When this happens, I can't even lock the doors and it beeps like it does when I get out of the car with the keys while leaving the engine running. Since the key buttons didn't work (lock, unlock, or pop the trunk), I assumed a dead battery immediately replaced it only to find out that that wasn't the issue... the car still did the same thing. Unfortunately, I had to leave my car in this state all night and manually had to "key lock" the door just to keep the car safe overnight. In the morning, it was STILL in that state but the engine cranked up as usual... after a very slight hesitation.

Also, the small display screen says "KEY NOT DETECTED" even though I just replaced the battery and can successfully start the engine.... and I tried the 5 second key to the start button to see if that made a difference... it didn't.

Has anyone experienced this? Any suggestions??

I've had similar incidents happen over the years. If I recall correctly, I think it happens when I pushed the "on/off" button prior to putting the car in park. I would then have to press the "on/off" button 2 or 3 more times to cycle through to "off". I seem to recall something similar when I open my driver side door prior to pushing the "on/off" button.

Maybe you're doing the same thing? At the very least, the next time it happens - try cycling through the On/ACC/Off states. Good luck.

• Thank you for the "on/off" suggestion... however, by the afternoon the car was mysteriously working again! For two days my ACC power was continuously running and I don't have a clue what happened. Let's just hope it doesn't happen again.

• 7 years later...

I’ve just had this exact same thing happen. We’ve had really bad weather in the UK last couple of days. My mirrors were folded in. I put them back in the non folded position and the screen etc went off as it normal. Don’t know if this will help anyone or whether I’ve got more electrical gremlins to chase!

• 2 years later...

This is the craziest thing. I'm dealing with this now. I took it to Lindsay lexus in Alexandria a month ago. Of course they did nothing because it fixed itself. Started again yesterday and the saga continues this morning. I was able to get the nav/gauges to shut down though thanks to this suggestion

Update: None. Still can't lock the car with the FOB, the car says "key not recognized" but somehow the car starts. Additionally, now my main overhead light and the push button to start the car are slowly flashing on and off. I was hoping that it was just the key fob but it seems to be something way more