Problem Fixed - No Whining Or Clunking Noise

mikjr

Well... my Lexus dealer finally fixed the whining noise in the trans. The installed an insulation "bushing" as they called it.

It not only fixed the whining noise, but it also eliminated the clunking noise when you press & and release the acceleration pedal.

I had to push a bit... but they were very aware of the issue, and had no problem fixing it once I told them I wasn't going away.

If your dealer is giving you a problem, you can alway have them call the dealership here in So. Calif. LEXUS OF MISSION VIEJO.

Good luck to the rest of you that had this problem.

MIKE

I think I have a same problem with my ls400 '95. When doing a quicky brake at stop sign after travelling more than 50 miles/hr, I can hear a clunk noise from the tranny or motor mount. I think this cause from tranny to swith gear from high to low to reduce the speed. But if I brake as normal as taking time to prepare to stop then I don't hear that noise. I think this has something to do with motor mount or tranny mount/bushing.

Well... my Lexus dealer finally fixed the whining noise in the trans. The installed an insulation "bushing" as they called it.

It not only fixed the whining noise, but it also eliminated the clunking noise when you press & and release the acceleration pedal.

MIKE

Mike, could you post more info related to your fix on the board? Such info may be found on your work order invoice. I have the exact "clunk" problem and it will be very helpful to describe to them in as much detail as I can. Thanks

Here is exactly what my invoice states:

LABOR:

"Guest states he hears a whinning noise from the rear of the vehicle. Install trans cooler line insulators. Also, a popping noise. Advise R & R cooler Line and insulated"

PARTS:

QTY FP NUMBER DESCRIPTION

2 88467-12030 BUSHING

The service was performed by Lexus of Mission Viejo (949) 364-0664.

Good Luck!

Mike

Thanks! My Lexus service dept has ordered the parts for me and other people who had complained about previously.

They installed the trans. cooler line insulator a couple of weeks ago. That procedure did not make the poping sound go away.

What is R & R cooler line?

Just returned from Lexus dealer with complaint of "clicking-Popping" upon de-accerating, braking around 25-35 speed. They test drove the vehicle and determined it normal. I took a test drive with another RX330 recognizing a similiar (but not as pronounced as my condition). The service team described the "butterfly in the carburator " .. when it was closing at a slower speed the condition occurred. I can't buy this. Why some RX 330's and not all? Is this a chronic problem, waiting for a Lexus workaround? Any body else with similar problems. Vehicle has 7800 Miles

This is from blue_rx330. You can check from http://us.lexusownersclub.com/forums/index...opic=7087&st=15.

OFFICIAL TSB for CLUNK NOISE

Lexus, on Feb. 26th, 2004, released the OFFICIAL TSB for THE INFAMOUS CLUNKING NOISE:

TSB#TC002-04--FP#32907-48030

I think this is related to the clicking-Popping noise. You can talk to your local dealer about this.

I found this information from the other web site. It might be useful for who has clunking and whining noise. :)

Folks, there is a Technical Service Information Bulletin (TSIB) for the Thump/Clunk & Whine/Hum problem. The Number is TC002-04 and was issued on 2/26/04. The fix is "a revised oil cooler tube sub-assembly". It addresses the following problems (quote from TSIB): 1) ...drone, groan or hum when decelerating from 50 mph to lower speeds. Noise is most noticeable while in 4th gear... 2) ...thump or clunk noise on downshift at approximately 30 mph while deccelerating...also heard when coasting at 55 mph and lightly applying accelerator. The TSIB is for VIN's before JTJHA31U#4#059251 (4WD) and JTJGA31U#4#031105 (2WD). FYI other TSIB's: NV012-03 for Glove Box Rattle and NV006-03 for Instrument Panel Rattle. If anyone has questions please let me know. I have copies of all the RX330 TSIB's.

My car has both noises. It is currently in service now. I will post more once I got my car back.

:cheers:

• 2 weeks later...

So, I was one of the original test cases for this problem. They applied the prototype and it solved the whining problem but not the clunking problem. Last week I was in for service and they compared the new TSB kit with the kit applied to my car and there was no difference in the components or installation. They're writing-up the problem and shipping it to Lexus.

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks!

adman@nefco,

I don't have a copy of TSIB. The message was from the other web site (http://townhall-talk.edmunds.com/direct/view/.ef22a65). As I know, for $10 a day, the techinfo.lexus.com site gives access to the complete TSB's and also the shop repair manual (worth ~$200).

My dealer ordered the parts two weeks ago. I am still waiting for them to call me back. Once they apply the fix, I'll let you know how it goes.