Tires For 2006 Gx 470

GX owner

I am looking for new tires for my 2006 GX 470. I live in Utah, so there will be heavy snow at times. I do a fair bit of highway so I would prefer a quiet ride. I don't do a lot of off road, but I do sometimes. I got it used and it had Michelin Terrains which seen to have been fine. The recommendations from a few tire stores and the dealer include Firestone Destination LE2 (both by Firestone and an independent dealer), Bridgestone Dueler Alenza HL, Michelin LTX M/S 2 (also two separate places) or Cross Terrain, Yokohama Geolander, Dunlop Grand Trek, and Uniroyal 842. Also, are there other sites worth looking at to review the tires? Thank you.

• 4 months later...

My 2008 GX came with Bridgestone HTs, which provided a smooth quiet ride, but proved worthless in an inch of Colorado snow. I replaced them with Bridgestone Revos - slightly noisier, but they ride smooth, and after 40K miles, still have about 40% of the tread left. The Revos have been an excellent year-round tire in snow, rain, dry pavement, and gravel. Other forum members recommend Michelin Cross Terrains and LTX tires. I have no personal experience with these, but may go with one of these Michelins since my tire guy no longer carries Bridgestone. I've had several SUVs, and have always installed LT grade tires instead of passenger grade, and have always opted for premium tires, despite the higher cost. The Michelins will set you back about $1,000, but you'll be more satisfied with them than with low grade tires costing $600.