Better Leather?

CanadaCraig

Hi Guys!! :)

Is the leather in the first and second generation LS models a better [i.e. higher quality] leather than the leather in the newer LS models?

I remember [awhile back] 'feeling' the leather in an older Rolls-Royce and it felt and looked much like the leather in my '93 LS. I know most people THINK that the softer the leather - the better - but it that true?!

Craig!! :)

softer doesn't mean better. It is onl a charecteristic used to evaluate its wearability over time. The thickness of the leather and if it has small blemishes in them (like wood ,having knotts and other things) is how you grade leather. But a softer longer wearing leather is more expensive.

I recall the early Lexus models having a higher quality leather compared to the ones offered by Infiniti and Cadillac which were thinner and stretched out.

I don't think the leather was as good as the ones offered by English mans., but the Lexus brand name was popular becasue of high-quality material.

Well, I used this Mequires Leather Conditioner on my 1992 Acura Legend and 1993 Lexus LS400 and in both cases it hardend up the leather. And, it says that it protects it from drying up from sunlight or hot weather. But good question about "is harder the leather the better the condition" I was thinking about the same thing but didn't knew where to start the topic.

Well, I used this Mequires Leather Conditioner on my 1992 Acura Legend and 1993 Lexus LS400 and in both cases it hardend up the leather. And, it says that it protects it from drying up from sunlight or hot weather. But good question about "is harder the leather the better the condition" I was thinking about the same thing but didn't knew where to start the topic.

Hey,

I've been using that Mequiars "gold class" leather conditioner too....

Now I'm wondering if its' bad!

Lexol has always has good recommendation ;)

my leather has been covered up almost from day one with sheep skin. took it off 12 years later because the sheep skin went bad and it looks great! :lol: so i covered it again :D i know you guys don want to hear it but my leather looks new! :P

my leather has been covered up almost from day one with sheep skin. took it off 12 years later because the sheep skin went bad and it looks great! :lol: so i covered it again :D i know you guys don want to hear it but my leather looks new! :P

How much did it cost you do this$?$

I think Lexus leather quality has stayed consistent over the years. The leather in the new LS430 seems a good bit thicker and higher quality compared to what was in my dad's previous LS400.

The reason you thought the leather in the Rolls looked a lot like what was in the LS is because its the same leather, until 2001 Lexus used Connoly hides just like Rolls and Jaguar.

93LS: when the car jsut came out there werent sheep skins that fit so it was a custom bit and some innocent sheep were sacrificed for my comfort :lol: the first set was a good $2500 but hey they lasted 12 years or so and well it was the thickest sheep fur out there, the new ones were only $400 but i only changed the fronts. and its not as thick but its decent

Results: Even though it makes the leather hard and stiff. I used to on the Lexus and on the Acura Legend. On the legend I used it in about August or September of 2003 and now in March 2004, the seats are soft, and when you compress the seats in with your hand it goes down (unlike with the conditioner on) and when you let it go there are wrengles left on the seats.