Lift Gate Release Cover Failure

The rubber cover or boot that covers the lift gate release button/switch on my '07 Rx400h has come loose and must be replaced to keep the unit weatherproof. Anybody tried this? There are 2 screws that appear to hold the switch in place, so it shoud be an easy fix.

On my '07 400h, I noticed that the rubber cover has become sticky with a few cracks. The dealer confirmed that the entire switch has to be replaced. The part is $78. As a cyclist, I have a few spare patched inner tubes around. I cut a tub to match the size of the rubber cover. I glued the tub over the rubber cover with contact cement. It is probably not a long term fix but a lot cheaper than replacing the entire switch. Ridiculous that the rubber cover is not sold separately.

• 1 year later...

Our 2008 RX350 had the same problem. The cover turned into sticky black goo that got all over your fingers if you used the outside switch. Apparently this is a problem several Toyota models are seeing too but no recall is in sight. I picked up a new switch at the Lexus Dealer in Scottsdale and they came down close to the internet price so for $60 I decided to get it over with. At first I thought about taking off the cover and sticking it on the old switch but it was such a sticky mess that I quickly gave up on that disaster. Come to find out it was really easy to replace, took maybe 30 minutes So here is a list of tools and steps you need to take

1. Buy Part. SWITCH ASSY, BACK 84840-21010

2. Tools #2 phillips and a 10mm nut driver that fits over long studs! or open end wrench will work too

3. open lift gate

4. gently pull on the lage plastic cover just below the rear window, (same one to replace tail light bulbs) it comes off pretty easy and the clips let loose with a firm tug. plus they are reuasable which is awesome!

5. Disconnect the light on the rear panel

6. using the 10mm wrench locate the 5 nuts on long studs that secure the bexel that contains the lift gate switch and remove them.

7. Gently pull the the rear bezel straight off

8. Note orientation of switch before removal to ensure proper installation of the new one. Facing rear of vehicle the wires should come out of the switch on the left side.

8. Unscrew the old switch and remove the two black plastic washers that are probably stuck to the switch.

9. Follow the wire from the switch, disconnect it on the inside and pop out the rubber grommet.

10. now put it all back together in revers order of these directions and you will be good to go!

• 1 year later...

Our 2008 RX350 had the same problem. The cover turned into sticky black goo that got all over your fingers if you used the outside switch. Apparently this is a problem several Toyota models are seeing too but no recall is in sight. I picked up a new switch at the Lexus Dealer in Scottsdale and they came down close to the internet price so for $60 I decided to get it over with. At first I thought about taking off the cover and sticking it on the old switch but it was such a sticky mess that I quickly gave up on that disaster. Come to find out it was really easy to replace, took maybe 30 minutes So here is a list of tools and steps you need to take

1. Buy Part. SWITCH ASSY, BACK 84840-21010

2. Tools #2 phillips and a 10mm nut driver that fits over long studs! or open end wrench will work too

3. open lift gate

4. gently pull on the lage plastic cover just below the rear window, (same one to replace tail light bulbs) it comes off pretty easy and the clips let loose with a firm tug. plus they are reuasable which is awesome!

5. Disconnect the light on the rear panel

6. using the 10mm wrench locate the 5 nuts on long studs that secure the bexel that contains the lift gate switch and remove them.

7. Gently pull the the rear bezel straight off

8. Note orientation of switch before removal to ensure proper installation of the new one. Facing rear of vehicle the wires should come out of the switch on the left side.

8. Unscrew the old switch and remove the two black plastic washers that are probably stuck to the switch.

9. Follow the wire from the switch, disconnect it on the inside and pop out the rubber grommet.

10. now put it all back together in revers order of these directions and you will be good to go!

just wanted to say thanks for this helpful post - I was able to buy the part on e-bay for $50 and install myself in less than 30 minutes. dealership wanted $300.

• Like 1

• 2 years later...

Thanks for the detailed reply.  We have a 2008 RX with extremely gooey cover.

I am very frustrated at the suggestion to replace the whole switch just because of a piece of rubber, and I would just fashion my own piece of rubber.   However,  your method above looks like a way I might be able to power the aftermarket rear camera I've been wanting to install, so very glad to have bumped into it.