Saw/sat In My First 2013!

SW03ES

On a whim tonight on our way home from a dinner out we swung by the local Lexus dealer I stopped by yesterday to see if they had a 2013. Sure enough, they did!

Sitting right out front was a cerulean blue and parchment 2013. No nav, nu luxe seating. Sticker was $41,500. Car did have park assist, BSM, etc.

Overall, the car looks great. I echo what others have said about it looking better in person than in the pictures. I will still say I miss the chrome trim along the sides and door handles. Overal though, the car looks great. Very elegant and sleek. Definitely think this is the best implementation of the spindle grille.

My one quality niggle with the exterior s with the exhaust tips. Why they didn't go that little bit extra and do integrated tips is beyond me, Beyond that, the tips are very low quality, thin metal fake tips that are noticeably clamped on to the steel end of the exhaust pipes, very low rent looking. Compared to the tips on my 2010 which are solid, welded on, smooth on the inside.

Overall though, it's a solid improvement.

Inside the differences are even more distinct. I've always griped about the quality differences between the Gen 4 ES and the Gen 5 ES. The small improvements that came in 2010 helped that somewhat, but the 2013 is a huge improvement. All the materials feel much nicer, the leather-like dash looks great, the gauges are a significant upgrade, all the displays are significantly improved, the rear space difference is quite distinct, and even the nu-luxe feels pretty darn good. Like others have said, the way the door panels interface with the dash is a little different, the door panels are quite flat, compared to the molded type panels we're used to. Interior ambient lighting is very cool.

Overall I'm very impressed with the car, can't wait to drive one. I'm sure I'll get the chance some time next week...

By a stroke of luck...it was unlocked! I'll echo again what others have said,

It is nice to hear your thoughts on the car. It is interesting what different people notice about cars in general. I did not even look at the exhaust pipes.... I will now though! I also sat it one with NuLuxe and thought it seemed very nice. A lot nicer than the Softex I have seen in the Gen III Prius. Is it the same material, or is the NuLuxe nicer?

Give us your review after you have a chance to drive it!

I doubt it's the same material. I thought the nu luxe in the ES felt better than that in the CT I sat in a few weeks ago, so I'm sure there are differences in quality depending on the vehicle price point.

I wouldn't mind having this nu luxe at all, but I'd want the cooled seats so leather it is.

Well I went by and drove it!

I'll say again, I really like the new interior. It's very elegant, and makes the car feel wider and bigger. All the new displays are great, the new gauges are a huge improvement, as is the high res info display between the tach and speedo.

One other interesting quality thing, all the plastic covers under the hood are gone. My 2010 is all trimmed and covered around the engine under the hood. The 2013 has everything exposed.

As for the drive, I know mhawkin wanted to know my thoughts compared to my 2010. Overall, the car is very similar. Driving down the road if you closed your eyes (might want to save that for when you're a passenger) you would be hard pressed to know whether you were in a 2012 or 2013. I didn't feel like it was any sportier really, in fact the steering is MUCH lighter and number on the 2013, you can really steer it with your little finger.

Overall I thought it drove great, but comparing to a 2010-2012 the reason to upgrade would be features, the interior and style. Drive wise they are very similar.

One thing I did find a little annoying is the gauge cluster lens is angled in such a way that it does reflect trees and such from the outside. Not a big deal.

They should have a hybrid in for me to drive in the next week or so, he's going to call me. Looking forward to trying out the hybrid.

• 1 month later...

I am surprised you said that you saw a "cerulean blue and parchment 2013. No nav, nu luxe seating. Sticker was $41,500."

I just went to the Lexus website to build my own 2013 ES350 with the Package E luxury package (which includes Nav and leather seating), and the price is $43,350. The delivery fee and handling fee does seem steep though! Almost $1000 for that alone.

Model: ES 350

Year: 2013

Exterior Color: Cerulean Blue Metallic

Interior Color: Parchment Leather with Espresso Bird's Eye Maple

Base MSRP*: $36,100

Available Package $6,355

• Package E: Luxury package
    • Heated and ventilated front seats

• Lexus Memory System

• Power tilt-and-telescopic steering column

• Espresso bird's-eye maple wood interior trim

• Remote Linked Memory

• Perforated leather-trimmed interior

• Navigation System

• Voice command and color LCD display

• Enhanced Bluetooth® technology [1]

• NavTraffic™ [2] [3]

• Lexus Enform® [4][5]

• Lexus Enform® Application Suite

• Integrated wide-view backup camera

• Eight-speaker Lexus Premium Sound System with HD Radio [6] with iTunes tagging

• High-resolution 8-inch color LCD display

• In-dash DVD/CD auto-changer

• Blind Spot Monitor System

• Wood- and leather-trimmed shift knob and heated steering wheel

• Power rear sunshade

• High-Intensity Discharge (HID) headlamps

• Intuitive Parking Assist

• Rain-sensing wipers

Accessory Options: Delivery, Processing, & Handling Fee: $895 Total MSRP**: $43,350

They ship with the Bridgestone Turanza EL400s or the Michelin Primacy MXV4 which is a MUCH better tire. I would insist on the Michelins, they should be able to swap them with another car on the lot, its just luck which ships. Even if you had to pay them to do the swap for the labor, I'd do it.

I replaced the Bridgestones that came OEM on mine with the Michelins after about 15k miles and its a huge difference.