Big Increase In 3.3 Horsepower?

I dont know, I had a brand new ES330 as a loaner with the upgraded HP and it had light to moderate torque steer, where my ES300 has none whatsoever.

Lexus has been reluctant to get into the HP wars, and I believe its incredibly unlikely that you're going to see a supercharger on the GS. Lexus hasn't been interested in competing with the AMG and M models because they're not after that kind of niche market.

And the AWD will NOT be aviliable on the GS430 only on the GS300 in 2006.

Correct sw, I heard (read) the same in Motortrend, Car & Driver and by a Lexus Rep at this years Detroit autoshow. The AWD will only be offered in the V6 for the GS, not the V8. I just might be intrested down the road in a GS 300 because of the fact it will be equipped with AWD & chances are quite a few mods will be available for the new generation GS....which I think looks real sharp! :D

dcfish, I too am not sure what to make of your points in this specific thread :unsure:

:cheers:

We all have the opportunity to decide whether we want horsepower or luxury when we make our car buying decision. Guess what those of us who bought an ES300/330 decided? I have a difficult commute but find that the horsepower/transmission combination in my 330 handles most situations really well. For real driving in the sense of a commute, I don't need extra horsepower (I could, however, use better handling ). I drove the Infiinity I35/G35 in a light rain, and I can telll you that the torque steer was frightening to a driver who was not experienced with that car(s). Even my wife, who is a conservative driver, was clear that she didn't want this.

For those who want extra power and are out of warranty (or don't care about their warranty), there must be firms who make chips to put extra power into our car.

Either way, I think that we are doing O.K., good, or better.

Jeff :cheers:

Jeff- You noticed torque steer in the G35? You sure? The G35 is RWD.

Lexfreak- The only issue with the New GS3 for modders is the fact that they're pulling the inline 6 from the Supra that has all the aftermarket support underneath it and replacing it probably with the 3.3 liter V6 which has little to no aftermarket support.

Understood sw, but there are quite a few other mods one can do such as suspension & exhaust, appearence and the like right? Again this is all just speculation at this point, who knows maybe they will offer engine mods shortly after the new GS is launched. Stranger things have happened. Also jeff, sw is correct....I'm not sure the G35 has that issue because of the RWD.

toyota is the richest car company in the planet! they can afford to take risks with a with a gs competing against the m division or an es300 with more sporty pretensions. i dont know how the scion is selling in other states but in ny, i haven't seen one on the road yet! i think high performance lexus cars are marketable in that infinti and acura aren't really seen in the same class with mb and bmw and lexus is. i just hope lexus is entertaining the idea of a separate division for high performance vehicles. they were better off taking a gamble on that then the scion. as for now, i'm a little bothered that the volvo s60 t5 has more balls than the es330 <_<

This is the latest from the Avalon forum:

"Also, higher output vehicles are also probable for Toyota vehicles and certain for Lexus vehicles. This is because Lexus is confirmed to come out with a division similar to AMG from MB to compete with European supertuned cars. However, Lexus might not choose the familiar route of turbo/superchargers but use hybrid systems which can produce similar results but with lower fuel economy. This is why Toyota might also come out with SOME high performance vehicles."

I don't think that the ES300 (let alone the 3.3) is underpowered from my own point of view. However, I still think that the more popular Japanese makes are moving away from the idea that around 3 liters = around 200hp.

But we'll see.

Good points everyone! I personally think Lexus will infact raise the bar slightly higher on the hp & torque numbers, just a question of by how much & when? We can speculate all we want, but the best idea is for us to be patient and see what Lexus decides to do in the end. It would be intresting to see Lexus come out with a performance arm like the "M" for BMW & AMG for Mercedes. The europeans are loosing significant ground in the quality & reliability departments according to the newest consumer reports 2004 cars guide. I'd take excellent quality, fit and finish & reliability over huge horsepower / torque numbers with breakdown or frequent repairs myself.