Check Engine Light

Hey guys,

I'm new here and this looks like a great website! Hope somebody can help. I recently had some work done on my car - water pump, timing belt, sparkplugs and sparkplug wires. Upon getting my car back, I got a "check engine" light illuminating on my panel and it was driving horribly. My mechanic said this was due to residual water from washing my engine. He said to drive it for a few days and that it would clear up on its own. At first I though he messed up during the installation of the timing belt but he was refusing the fact that it had anything to do with that. He said that it might be my knock sensor and that it might have gotten wet during the washing of the engine. I have driven the car for the last 2 days and it is running very smoothly. However the "check engine" light has not gone away. At first it appeared to illuminate when the car hit about 2000 RPM. Now it seems that it comes on after 5 minutes of run time. Once the light comes on it stays on until the car is shut off. When it is restarted, the light is off until its been running for about 5 minutes. Is this a false error that is lingering? Or is there still a problem with the knock sensor? Any suggestion on how I should proceed is greatly appreaciated. :)

BTW - I forget to mention that this is a 1992 ES300!

It could be the timing belt, I had my timing belt replaced by a private mechanic, and the same thing happened. But of course, I can't say for sure without know the code. Take it to a dealer that you trust. Check out my thread, "Check Engine Light Continually Comes On".

Hope things work out.