Funny Noise Again

We just purchased a used 05 lx470 and it runs perfect except for an odd noise. When you're driving on the freeway around 70mph we get a horn sound coming from the driver side area. The noise can not be pinned down due to the fact the noise comes and goes. The sound does not come on al the time either. It's the oddest thing and it's not coming from the roof or tires. The noise is either coming from the dash or drivers door. Any thoughts would be great.

Thanks

Does the sound change or disappear when you change the recirculation setting? I've had a couple 470's, my first one made a lot of noise somewhere near the windshield when recirc was engaged.

Same noise every time, an ever so light horn sound that comes and goes between 70 to 80 mph. Not sure if it's air coming into the cab or something internal. Quite a mystery to me.

Thanks

• 4 weeks later...

We just purchased a used 05 lx470 and it runs perfect except for an odd noise. When you're driving on the freeway around 70mph we get a horn sound coming from the driver side area. The noise can not be pinned down due to the fact the noise comes and goes. The sound does not come on al the time either. It's the oddest thing and it's not coming from the roof or tires. The noise is either coming from the dash or drivers door. Any thoughts would be great.

Thanks

I have been experiencing a similar wierd sound as you discribed in my 2007 LX470. Mine sounds light an electronic sqweel (EEEEEEE) coming from the engine compartment. It appears after a cold start up and when I put it in drive and pull away and within a few seconds of driving the sqweel sounds appears lasting a couple seconds and then disappears until the next cold start. It doesn't happen after restarting the vehicle or short trips only after it sits overnight and its there every time I start the vehicle in the colder weather which is weird. I've hadthis problem for two years and had my vehicle in at two Lexus dealers for this problem without them being able to find or replicate the sound. Murphy's Law every blasted time. No TSBs for this that I can find so if anyone has any suggestions it would be appreciated.

• 3 months later...

Dear Diablo Blonco:

I have an 1998 LX 470 with over 480K Miles on it, so you can imagine I have chased every noise and found every secret. About 3 years ago, I had the same problem and it drove me completely crazy trying to track and resolve it. In my case, the problem was a plastic/rubber windlace moulding around my sunroof. Over 65 MPH, it would flap and vibrate with a horn sound - like that thick balde of grass you used to put between your thumbs and blow through when you were a kid to make an evil "shreek." The noise sounded like it was coming from the cabin, but, it was just over my head and on the roof.

If you haven't found the solution already, check your windlace moulding around your sunroof. Over time, this fixture expands and opens a space which "sings" when air passes over it which can result in a horn sound as it vibrates.

I hope this helps.

Regards,

Mark