Nakamichi Amp

czvalde

I have a 1995 LS400 with the "Nakamichi Premium Sound System", I have the CD changer. I bought the car used three years ago and the system only had one channel. I had the dealer replace the amp (an exchange program they have) at a cost of $750 PLUS installation. Here I am three years later and I am losing a channel AGAIN.

Rather than spend another $1,000 I am thinking that I should go for an amp from the aftermarket. My questions (if anyone can help) are:

1) Do you think I have the Pioneer system for is it Nakamichi?

2) Is that thing in my truck the amp (I know very little about electronics)?

3) What would be a good after market replacement amp for this system?

4) Am I going to run into compability problems?

I like to listen to loud music and love the clarity of the system.

Any Advise

Although I have never used them, http://carstereohelp.com/lexus.htm

advertises:

"Lexus / Nakamichi / Pioneer - Audio Amplifier - One of many different models seen in shop for repair. Trunk and under passenger seat locations. No output or distorted output. Weak output on one side or both, repair includes modifications and updates, $275. Turn around time on this unit is 1-4 weeks with a 90 day warranty."

I would guess that the amp would be fairly easy to remove to send in. My Nakamichi has only four connectors to unplug and it looks fairly easy to remove.

There seem to be a lot of companies advertising on the Internet that they repair Lexus Nakamichi - maybe someone who has used one will PM you.

Can anyone else help?

your amp is behind the passenger front seat and you can find it for 150-200$. its really ez to install it and it takes 30 mins to do. your original system will not work with atermarket hardware.

there is a site www.carstereohelp.com

contact them for the quote for repair, bu b4 this check all connectors to make sure its not cables that causing this

Carstereohelp is fixing the Nakamichi in my 92 as we speak. Their initial estimate was for $180.00 for the typical fault the 92 has. They wrote back to say that my unit had been "logged in" to their repair department, and I expect a call or e-mail when it is done. So far my experience with them has been great, and I will post when the repaired unit is in place and working. They claim to fix the faults that the factory exchange program does not - in other words they modify to prevent the same type of failure, rather than treat the symptom. That's the kind of talk I like.

I got the unit out quite easily, packaged it according to their instructions. Re-installing the unit will be about 15 minutes I think. These cars are designed to be serviced it seems.

I had the same problem - a channel went out on the Nak. It's not always the amp, it could be the headunit. I replaced the amp and it made no difference, so I replaced the headunit with a used unit.

:angry: I would not send anything to carstereohelp, they dont know what theyre doing. They had my Nak unit for a month and they could not fix it. I finally told them to send it back.

I am is the same boat with my Nak. It sounds really sweet through one channel. I am pretty sure I am going to go aftermarket. If I get aftermarket head unit and amp will I need to replace the speakers?

Thanks,

Bob

• 4 months later...

Any further reports on carstereohelp?? I called them today describing the one channel out problem I'm having in my '94 LS Nak, and they told me to send the amp in, that was the problem.

Hey SRK, thought you were posting a follow up after you received the part back? Any other opinions? Where does one get an aftermarket amp that will work for these systems?

Any further reports on carstereohelp?? I called them today describing the one channel out problem I'm having in my '94 LS Nak, and they told me to send the amp in, that was the problem.

Hey SRK, thought you were posting a follow up after you received the part back? Any other opinions? Where does one get an aftermarket amp that will work for these systems?

Carstereohelp was very good. They had my unit on the bench for three weeks, and the problem didn't show up. They sent it back to me no charge, AND paid for the shipping. Unfortunately, the problem shows up only in damp weather, which they don't have much in Florida I guess. The unit has failed a couple more times since, every time it rains.

I am not sure what to do now. By the time I ship it to them, it will dry out again for sure.

At least the folks at Carstereohelp really tried to fix it, and didn't charge when they couldn't find a problem. I would send the silly thing back to them IF I could be sure it would be in a failure mode when they got it.

Seems it was carstereohelp's web site I read some about water pooling under the back seat on many models, causing some intermittant shorting/corrosion to happen in/on the orange plug just behind the seat. Have you tried looking at the connections on yours?

FYI, I pulled the amp in the trunk, and the seat from the back last night. I pulled the amp completely apart looking for any trace of shorting out or burns on the board, and found nothing there. I saw there was no water evidence under the seat, so I didn't go much further to inspect the connection behind the seat (which appeared to be more of a pain to remove than I expected and I was running out of time). I'm going to assume the amp needs replacement, but with 1/2 the speakers working and a couple of new other purchases, I'm going to wait a bit on the amp repair. Maybe I can find a great deal on a used one before I mail it off and do w/out sound altogether for 3 weeks. Thanks for you input.

I replaced the dead speakers with Boston Accoustic's.  There where just what was available at the time.  They have worked out great and now all my speakers work.

Thanks,

Bob

Bob,

Does this mean you didn't replace the amp, and it was just the speakers causing the problem? Did both or all three go out on one side of the car at the same time?

Turns out my 92 has no connector under the back seat - I looked. The amp is built into the head unit. Bob at CSH also understood the 92 to have the combined unit, and he could find no evidence of shorting or water damage.

I may have to check the dealer for an exchange price. I can re and re it myself, and I get wholesale at the dealer through my business. I imagine it will still be expensive....

Thought I would share my experiences on my 95 with you. First the ehad unit was snet out to Nak by Lexus for a month - it came back and the dead right chanel came back. I brought it back in and the found that the head unit and amp were bad. Interesting in that the previous owner had the amp replaced 2 years ago. Both are back and working with my bank account a bit lighter. My friend who is a Lexus mechanic suggested that this system is just bad news and the Pioneer is a reliable choice---sorry to share...