Thoughts On Extended Warranty

The 3 year warranty on my 2006 GS300 that I bought in 2009 recently expired so I started looking around online for a replacement.

I experienced some sticker shock as some of the quotes covering the car for the next 5 years were three to four thousand dollars.

The car has 46k miles, receives regular service and has been pretty reliable to date.

I'm weighing whether to pony up for a new warranty or simply bite the bullet if something major ever happens to my car.

Can anyone share any horror stories regarding expensive Lexus service repairs on their vehicle?

Unless you haven't the slightest clue of auto mechanics or don't know a good mechanic that isn't the Lexus dealer, I'd say a big fat NO to the extended warranty. 99% of the time, it's a huge waste of cash.....peace of mind, but waste of money.

Consider this: Your engine goes, (unlikely, but for arguement sake we'll say it did) & you need a rebuild/used or even new. What's it going to cost you? I'd bet it's less than the $3-4K you're going to spend on that warranty.

Consider this as well: Something "covered" by your new, expensive warranty goes, but the dealer says, "oh, your warranty didn't cover that..." This happens more often than you think, not that the item wasn't covered, but it hits a grey area with the coverage & the dealership does whatever they can to avoid having it come out of their pocket.

My advise, bite the bullet if something ever does go. Best advice for you is keep up on your regular maintence & be kind to your car. Toyota/Lexus vehicles tend to live a long life without any major repair, so that should give you some peace of mind. That's just my $0.02