Neat! Dash Cleaner/console

i was detailing my car last weekend, and stumbled upon an idea for cleaning the little spaces in the head unit and console around shifter, as well as vents and door controls. I used the compressed air cans that they sell at places like office depot and such to clean computer keyboards. man it worked great. I just sprayed it in the hard to clean cracks ect... and it blew all the debris right out. it made life a lot easier for sure. Just thought i would let ya know about my little find.

Thanks Silvermate,

I was just looking at the wood/shifter area and noticed the grime (well, you know, a little dirty). I now have another weapon!

Hey, do you know how to "polish" up the plexglass? around and over the shift indicators.......

weapon. ha ha. yeah anything that spares me a little elbow grease is always welcome.

about the plastic piece, i've never really polished that, just cleaned it. but it is kinda foggy now that i think about it

i know i keep saying meguires scratch X, i don't know why i keep pushing that product, cause its not that great. but i use it spareingly on the wood around the shifter and buff it out. it works on the hairline scratches for sure, i also have used it on the windshield glass, for the small scratches, it works. but really it just deadends the scratches a little, so they arent' so noticeable, but what i've found is the scratches come back, so you have to apply frequently.

• 1 month later...

Silvermate: How long does that compressed air can last. Or how much is in their. Becuase I have never used it before.

I was going to buy it once but I went and bought a keyboard vacuum for $20. I thought it would work but it sucked; I mean it didn't suck. lol.

Silvermate: How long does that compressed air can last. Or how much is in their. Becuase I have never used it before.

I was going to buy it once but I went and bought a keyboard vacuum for $20. I thought it would work but it sucked; I mean it didn't suck. lol.

$20 for it is too expensive. I would rather check CompUSA or Office Depot or any other Computer store, who often comes out with great deals -- as low as $2 or even Free. It wouldn't suck like a vaccum cleaner but blows off the dirt because of high air pressure. It works great on computers (Keyboards, etc) and should work great in the car as Silvermate mentioned.

$20 for it is too expensive. I would rather check CompUSA or Office Depot or any other Computer store, who often comes out with great deals -- as low as $2 or even Free. It wouldn't suck like a vaccum cleaner but blows off the dirt because of high air pressure. It works great on computers (Keyboards, etc) and should work great in the car as Silvermate mentioned.

No, No, No,

I meant a realy vacuum for a keyboard. It was as big as a normal persons hand. :D well actually :angry: since it didn't work.

they're cheap just a couple of dollars at any office supply, maybe even walmart

i don't know how long they last, pretty long though i guess i've use mine liberally and i've gone through a couple cans (2-3) heck maybe more i don't know

but no matter, they're cheap :D

i here ya man.

between that air can and a california dash duster it really keeps the interior dust free, with relatively no work,

and thats great for me, i'd rather spend my time concentrating on the paint trying to master the perfect "shine" :lol:

~One man’s opinion / observations ~

ColorX is a paint film surface product and too harsh for use as a scratch remover on plastic. Suggest you try Megs # 17 Clear Plastic Cleaner followed by #10 Clear Plastic Polish. A great maintenance product for plastics is Plexus

Experience unshared; is knowledge wasted…/

justadumbarchitect *so I question everything*

Gang: I have used that keyboard air/cleaner can thing and it sometimes shoots out chemicals that are used to compress the air. I have no idea what the chemical is but it might not be good on some finishes. Later, George

• 3 weeks later...
i was detailing my car last weekend, and stumbled upon an idea for cleaning the little spaces in the head unit and console around shifter, as well as vents and door controls. I used the compressed air cans that they sell at places like office depot and such to clean computer keyboards. man it worked great. I just sprayed it in the hard to clean cracks ect... and it blew all the debris right out. it made life a lot easier for sure. Just thought i would let ya know about my little find.

use one of the old timey shaving brushes (the kind for the shave cream bar in a cup) on your nooks & crannies on your dash,console, door panels etc. it takes just a second & gets rid of all the dust.

use one of the old timey shaving brushes (the kind for the shave cream bar in a cup) on your nooks & crannies on your dash,console, door panels etc. it takes just a second & gets rid of all the dust.

Hey, neighbor. Wouldn't that scratch the surface.

~One man’s opinion / observations ~

“….chemicals that are used to compress the air. I have no idea what the chemical is but it might not be good on some finishes.” They use refrigerant as propulsion, its harmless.

A tool I really like to use as well as the ‘canned air’ is this Two-Way Mini Detail Brush is so handy, soft, all natural bristles are set in one side of the lacquered handle and black nylon bristles fill the opposite end. Proper Auto Care BR-296

Another use for the air, blow out any water behind the door mirrors so water won’t ‘drip’ on the paint surface

~Hope this helps~

Experience unshared; is knowledge wasted…/Jon

justadumbarchitect *so I question everything*

What about the little window covering the heater controls? The one on my 93 sc400 has some superficial scuffs, etc.

Will these work, too?

Maquires Scratch-X

Megs #17 Plastic Cleaner/#10 Clear Plastic Polish

Has anyone replaced that piece? I mean is it attached to the cover or electronic component?

I don't want to louse up my beautiful car!